Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headphone Overload

Paul K

My phones are crapping out. I'm experiencing sensory overload on the hundreds...no...thousands of available replacements. I'm ready to spend up to $125. I had a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-611 that I loved (and only cost me $10 at a close-out store...) , but the cable broke it's just not feasible to solder those teeny tiny wires that you can't get at without busting up the can anyway. So the cable has got to be sturdy. Closed back, fully over the ear, isolation type.

Any recommendations? I'd go higher on the price if it's a truly special can.

Thanks,

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-Pro-MDR7506-Headphones?sku=271056

Industry standard. It's solid and won't let you down. Everybody has their own favorite flavor but this one is affordable and does everything you need it to...and does it well. I've had two sets of these: one I had in college and got stolen out of the storage room in the campus chapel (where we kept all the PA stuff) and another I bought a while later. I use it for all my practicing with my Pandora as well as mixing and recording projects I've done in the past. Very comfy for long sessions.

The Sony MDR7506 did make my list. But the replaceable cord with the mini XLR concept would be ideal. Hell. Even if it was a stereo mini plug like my pair of Hear-o's that I wear skiing (They're headphones that look like ear-muffs. Some ski areas frown on slope music, but with these it's easy to hide the chord!!!!) I'll have to do a little more research on other phones with a removable cord.

+1 on the AKG's... my worship director has a pair, and I've used them a couple of times for monitoring on stage when I didn't have my earbuds... they work great, sound great with the bass cranked up and are pretty comfy, too.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I also have a pair of these:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/44/stanton035xh.jpg

Stanton Dynaphase Forty

they are very heavy, very large, very blue and they make me look like The Fly... but when I forget my 'buds and the AKG's aren't available, they do sound pretty good. I use them at home for recording etc.

And they cost me $2.00 at a garage sale. Score.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Nice! I used to use a set bigger than those that were the remnants of my dad's audiophile days in the 70s and 80s. They were brown and had individual attenuators on each ear.

I just found out the dangers of typing words like "bigger" and not being used to a non-ergonomic keyboard.

I pulled the plug on the AKG K240 studio. I almost went with the newer MKII version (two cables and two sets of ear pads), but the only good deals I could find were in New York State, so I'd have to pay sales tax also.

Can't wait to be off in my own little world.....

I have a pair of skull candy skullcrushers. I was going to do a review on and never did. Anyway with the extra speaker bass is clear and LOUD. The bass has a seperate volume control so you can turn it up half way and the bass is as loud as in a regular good quality headphone but clearer. If you turn it up all the way it can be a little muddy. For some reason stand up bass comes through extremely well.
"there ain't no faux mojo" jcadmus

My earbuds pooped out on me tonight... sounds like I blew the left one. I think I will look into those Skullcrushers... they look cool, and they have a cool name.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived