Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

weird but...

Braxat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I was thinking about going back to ask you on your "has it happened to you?"-thread, if you were referring to problems with physical pain, like repetitive/over-use injury, or some non-guitar-related soreness or injury...

What exactly is it that "hurts"? Just the callouses (or a lack of 'em) on your finger-tips, or the muscles, joints, and tendons?

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy or wet-blanket here, but, no, I don't like for anything to hurt while or after I'm playing! Maybe the feel of having a good "workout" on the guitar for my hands, but not any real pain or soreness- that's usually a BAD sign, and things can get worse, much worse, PERMANENTLY worse, in short order if you press on under such things.

I had a job a few years back, 1st-shift/Monday - Friday, where my hands were so sore and stiff that it was physically impossible for me to play the guitar, except for maybe just a little bit as they finally loosened up somewhat around 8:00 PM Sunday night, just in time to get some sleep before I started the grind again the next morning... :mad:That $ucked.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You know, I was thinking about going back to ask you on your "has it happened to you?"-thread, if you were referring to problems with physical pain, like repetitive/over-use injury, or some non-guitar-related soreness or injury...

What exactly is it that "hurts"? Just the callouses (or a lack of 'em) on your finger-tips, or the muscles, joints, and tendons?

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy or wet-blanket here, but, no, I don't like for anything to hurt while or after I'm playing! Maybe the feel of having a good "workout" on the guitar for my hands, but not any real pain or soreness- that's usually a BAD sign, and things can get worse, much worse, PERMANENTLY worse, in short order if you press on under such things.

I had a job a few years back, 1st-shift/Monday - Friday, where my hands were so sore and stiff that it was physically impossible for me to play the guitar, except for maybe just a little bit as they finally loosened up somewhat around 8:00 PM Sunday night, just in time to get some sleep before I started the grind again the next morning... :mad:That $ucked.

woah no no no, just the little sting of the finger tip callouses after a work out!! =)

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

OK, cool! Sorry to read so much into it- I had your best interests at heart, though! :)

I haven't had any finger-tip soreness in... decades! :D I used to have some massive callouses, but they wore away a while back when I hadn't been playing much for a stretch, and never came back nearly as thick no matter how much I play. Probably the result of my cultivating a finer, lighter "touch" than I used to, when it had been like the GI-Joe Kung-Fu Death-Grip on the neck. ;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I still have to watch out for slapping the Rhodesian Grip of Death on my neck & strings if I'm tense, or haven't played much for a while. When the muscles in my hands are in shape, I don't seem to press as hard.

I like the tingle in my fingers after playing for a while and taking a break. Pleasant sensation...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I still have to watch out for slapping the Rhodesian Grip of Death on my neck & strings if I'm tense, or haven't played much for a while. When the muscles in my hands are in shape, I don't seem to press as hard.

I like the tingle in my fingers after playing for a while and taking a break. Pleasant sensation...

EXACTLY what im talking about!!

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

As long as good ergonomics are in play, dude that feeling's always a good feeling. Spending the whole day just playing constantly makes for a great night's sleep :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived