Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigs that Remind you why you play

Phred

About 10 months ago I posted on this forum that I had acrazy gig . It took 10 months, and many gigs, but I had one of those gig that remind you why to play in the first place. Sure I had good gigs since then, but this one was wal to wall FUN.

It was a 3 day cottage party on a lake, we played the saturday night - we play this place every year, and it is huge. Between 75 - 100 people, tents set up all over the grounds. Craziness.

Anyway, Everone there is set to have a wicked good time, and the party is non-stop. I got tons of compliments, and we played extended solos. Overall a hoot that left me smiling from beginning to end.

P.S - As it is a difficult travel and load in gig, I just brought my electro 2 61. It was fine, but the piano parts were tough ;).

Phred

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a gig like that next weekend. We call it Rogerpalooza.

Should be around 200 people this year, in the guys backyard.

Good thing he's out in the country.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I played one o' those gigs Saturday night. A private backyard birthday party about 50 guests. 95 degrees at 6pm but the hosts provided dinner and plenty of water and fans. After the gifts were opened we hit the ground running with "Moondance", "On Broadway", "Livin' on Love", "Pretty Woman" and "Take Me To The River". It was dark, it was hot and humid, the vocals were clipping, the Handsonic had a mind of it's own and everybody was dancing, from ages 8 thru 75. We seemed to play better as visibility got worse. Worth it? You betcha....

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

I've played a few of those "kitchen gigs" as like to call them. This one time, a group of social workers who work with ex-cons were having their Christmas party in the conference room of their office. We got the call to go in as a an acoustic duo. So we ask the guy if sound is provided or if we should bring our own PA, staging, etc. The guy laughs and says to just bring our acoustic guitars and sit in the corner and play in the room. No amps, no mics, nothing. It turned out to be one of the coolest and memorable nights of my career. They fed us, kept the wine coming, danced a little, and had a blast with us. We couldn't believe we were getting paid to just pull out our guitars and not even have to do a line check.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Last week got a last minute call to sub on a Journey tribute gig. Always have been a fan of the band and learned 17 songs the night before the gig. The venue was packed (House of Blues) and the front row was filled with screaming women- some were pointing at me and doing that whisper to their friend thing I love...It was hard work- I've realized now and in the past I only think I know the songs when doing a tribute gig--not quite! It was fun and yes, reminds me why I do this. I usually stay in total control but hearing the singer's voice come through the PA during Faithfully made me so emotional I started screwing up the song. I have been called back for more gigs with them at the end of the month.

I usually stay in total control but hearing the singer's voice come through the PA during Faithfully made me so emotional I started screwing up the song.

Maybe this is why the front row ladies were so 'taken' with you. :thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

...the front row was filled with screaming women- some were pointing at me and doing that whisper to their friend thing I love.

Hate that. :mad:

Usually means my fly is down. :rolleyes:

...again.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Two weeks ago I sat in on B3, on a one hour improvised set with Stu Hamm and Yossi Fine at a music fest, it was way cool .... will be one for the bucket list ...

Ron

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Two weeks ago I sat in on B3, on a one hour improvised set with Stu Hamm and Yossi Fine at a music fest, it was way cool .... will be one for the bucket list ...

Ron

Can you add something to your bucket list AFTER you've done it? I think you have a bucket list of things you want to do and then go about doing them as you can. Just because something comes along that is really cool that you get to do, it doesn't get to go on your bucket list. At least that's how I see it. You could have a bucket list (some things you did and some you didn't) and then another list of cool stuff you got to do that weren't necessarily reasonable wants of yours.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I love playing out-of-the-way parties! My band has two recurring gigs like that.

One is for some back-to-the-land crazy psychedelic hippies in a giant antique house. The place gets packed with freaks, and they dance like crazy until dawn. Extended solos, psychedelic dub sections-- they love it.

The other is more civilized, but also remote (far from cops and neighbors). These are rich mellow hippies, and they throw smaller parties. But they are really responsive to the music, and the guy always pays us around $500 more than we ask. And feeds us expensive tequila;)

Off the grid, under the radar. These are my favorite gigs!

Archived