Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me understand AC/DC

Ross Brown

I just dont get AC/DC. Can anyone help? Our singer loves them and has wanted to do some AC/DC songs for a while. I am open minded and will play anything that is not truly offensive. I will play this stuff, but I just dont get it. What am I missing?

We get some requests for AC/DC from our crowds. The guitarist is not a fan either. When we try them our singer, who has a great voice, he sounds like a lady screaming in pain. Very garage band sound to the whole thing. I tried to tell them but I was not received well by the singer and the drummer. They want to do these songs. We are starting with Hell aint a Bad Place to Be and the Jack. BTW our guitarist plays this like a 12 bar blues. It is not. He doesnt take the time to listen to it to see what I am talking about. He just doesn't even like it well enough to try.. Another reason to not do these songs If we aint going to do them well why do them at all

Can any of you AC/DC fans show me the light?

Rant over... Thanks

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your singer is willing to trash his voice and the crowd wants it, why wouldn't you do it? AC/DC songs are all quick adds to your songlist. You sould simply kick your snobbish guitardist in the butt and make him learn them. I'd ask him if they were to complicated for him. :D Rule # 48 - All drunk crowds love to listen to AC/DC and all bar owners love to listen to their drunk crowds love to listen to AC/DC.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

If your band doesn't like AC/DC enough to actually learn the songs, don't try to cover them--the only thing worse than a band covering AC/DC poorly is a band covering AC/DC poorly AND half-heartedly. Especially if your singer can't make it go without sounding like a douche.

Now, onto bigger concerns...

I will grant that appreciation of any band/music is highly subjective. Not everything appeals to everyone. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Fair enough.

But let's see... what are you missing about AC/DC? Hmmm. Only one of the most iconic, bad-ass and rocking bands of the last 35 years. The songs are anthemic and beautiful in their simplicity. The playing, while rather basic and and uncomplicated, is ear-catching and infectious. Angus' solos are the stuff of rock n' roll dreams. I can see why a bassist wouldn't be overly inspired by Cliff Williams' bass playing, but it totallly anchors the song structures. But your guitarist doesn't like AC/DC? He needs to go. A rock guitarist who doesn't get into Angus is as pathetic and useless as a rock bassist who doesn't understand why people like the sound of old tube Ampeg bass rigs.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Let's start with the very basics:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

Great song. Awesome beat, awesome solo, case closed.

My recommendation if you're going to play AC/DC:

Kick up the distortion, and don't be afraid to get a little crazy. AC/DC is definitely hard rock, so definitely look at the primary audience of bands like AC/DC: teenagers and people in their 20s. Definitely listen to some songs and you will like them better.

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

I have been a fan of ACDC since I was 9 years old and dropped the needle onto Whole Lotta Roise on the the quintessential live album "If You Want Blood", my world would never be the same again and indeed that event leads to this post and all my other musical endevours.

There are 2 phases of DC Bon Scott & Brian Johnson. I know your a blues fan Ross so you may find the Scott stuff a better palce to start. The lyrics, the sound, the groove and the sheer power cobined with a kiler energy live show is what makes ACDC so great. It is the most misguiding thing in the world to think that it is easy to replicate ACDC's music, there are lots of precise little parts and an attitude required to play this stuff.

I Love ACDC!!

Let's start with the very basics:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

Great song. Awesome beat, awesome solo, case closed.

My recommendation if you're going to play AC/DC:

Kick up the distortion, and don't be afraid to get a little crazy. AC/DC is definitely hard rock, so definitely look at the primary audience of bands like AC/DC: teenagers and people in their 20s. Definitely listen to some songs and you will like them better.

I like that one. And I don't understand why the jazz guitarists and drummers with whom I usually play (who can solo over any changes at blistering tempos) cannot touch it with a ten foot pole.

Never been much of an AC/DC man myself, but they do some things even I have to call electrifying. I guess it's okay if someone doesn't like the song "Back In Black", but they don't deserve to call themselves "rockers", because they have no idea what real rock is.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Never been much of an AC/DC man myself, but they do some things even I have to call electrifying. I guess it's okay if someone doesn't like the song "Back In Black", but they don't deserve to call themselves "rockers", because they have no idea what real rock is.

Okay, I'll bite. What's real rock?

Push the button Frank.

Rightly or rwongly we like to claim accadacca as an Aussie band, but as an Aussie I can't tell you much about them! I'm sure there is a lot of stuff about them on the web. The clip of 'Long Way to the Top' was filmed here in Melbourne. They started here in the tradition of the Aussie pub-rock band, and Melbourne was the centre of pub-rock music in the country (still is the best music scene in Oz). Now the pubs at the time were huge beer barns - rooms the size of 2 basketball courts, tables, a dance floor and a raised stage for the band. PAs were rudimentary so the sound was just about all stage sound, and it had to be loud to fill the room and to get the attention of a 1000 half-pissed yobbos. The music had to be simple for them to relate to.

As for singing it - you need tight undies.

As for the bass parts - we've only tried 'Shook me All Night Long' but don't do it justice (no tight undies) so we let it go - I think I just peddled hard on A and D or whatever it's in.

To find out a bit about early Oz rock start here http://www.milesago.com/

(Ah ... the page has just come up - what memories!)

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

this is real rock:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/graphics/Half_Dome.gif

That is half a rock. This is a rock:

http://img5.travelblog.org/Photos/35320/224414/f/1738025-Uluru-0.jpg

Uluru - 2.5km long, 1.5km wide.

Uluru

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Nobody lays it down solid and thick like Cliff Williams does.

+1 His bass lines are simple but solid and totally fit the song. I can relate to it. I play more like him than I do Jaco.

I love those songs in the videos you guys brought up. We used to do most of them back when we had a singer who could do them. Those are songs I like to do. Simple, staight forward and rockin'. That IS the appeal to them.

I can understand that your guitar player doesn't like it and if he is going to sabotage the effort then either forget about doing the songs or get another guitar player. You don't have to play them note for note but you damn well better bring the attidude.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived