Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD-700 SX / GX "notes"

raddtunes

This past weekend I rented a 700 sx and 2 KC-150 amps to accompany a fellow classmate on a couple of songs at my class reunion.

I had forgotten how pristine the sound of the ultimate piano is when run in stereo, with just two small amps placed about two feet behind.

I own/play the GX, and the biggest thing I noticed about going back to the SX was the key surface. Couldn't believe it. Maybe it was the Wisconsin humidity that night, but there was this awkward "finger-sticking" happening a lot. Not enough to derail, but certainly enough to distract.

Just gotta have that imitation ivory on the GX from now on. How did we live without it all those years???

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never noticed that on my RD700SX. Was BBQ being served? Have you tried washing your hands before playing? ;)

Actually, it sounds like the keys may have been cleaned at some point with a chemical that made them sticky. Some solvents are hard on rubber and plastic and cause that exact effect.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Can anyone recommend a good solvent to help me remove my thumb from middle C? ;)

Seriously though, although I have not compared the SX to the GX, I have been playing the SX for many moons now and have not had any such "sticky" problems.

I have been playing the SX for many moons now and have not had any such "sticky" problems.

First - you guys are killing me!! :0

On the more technical note, we've all been playing on plastic keys for many moons. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference unless, perhaps, you'd have some time in on the GX.

It's not a porous surface, but it's definitely coarse, which may be must enough to "contain" moisture. Although I thought it was cool, I didn't think at first it was that significant. However - it's now one of those things I'd always want in a digital piano.

And back to the humor - - - this thread has caused the Google ads to put up an ad for "Virtual Sticky Notes." Too funny.

Archived