Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to buy my first keyboard.Need serious help.

Blasian92

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site...So i have fallen in love with piano and keyboards and all of it...So i want to get one and learn how to play but I know nothing about them. I know i want one that has 76 keys(61 seems too limited but im not sure) So 76 keys um I would like the keys to be touch responsive or have them be piano focused so they feel like real keys.It feel more professional to me imo. Ummm I dont wanna spend alot of money at all seeing as how it is going to be my first. Apart from that I cant think of anything else I really need...So digital keyboard,Piano type keys,76 of them or however lets me play songs without being limited,Maybe a grand piano function? And also not something that will send me into poverty(Ill save the expensive one for when I actually get good) Well thats pretty much it! Thank you guys! : D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your budget? Are you ever going to gig it?

What is unspoken in my original suggestion is a bias toward beginners learning on a piano / weighted action to develop correct technique under the direct supervision of a good teacher, who will also get you acquainted with standard piano repertoire. This will go miles in providing you the foundation required for you to later explore other genres that your personal interest may take you to.

Most working pros I rub shoulders with have some real instruction in their history. Many garage banders with no skills to build on I run into tell of aborted/curtailed lessons or no formal instruction. Technique does not equate to artistry or musicality. But seldom does a limited palette of skills with which to paint either.

All that to say depending upon your budget there are a number of "piano replacement" type keyboards that, while imperfect, will at least provide you a tool with which to pursue formal instruction. There are several Yamahas (P-series), Korg, Williams - the list is pretty long - of home digital pianos nowadays. I simply brought up the Privia because of bang-for-buck.

My budget is 170ish..Maybe a little more? And also i dont intend to gig and i dont intend to be some pro..I just want something to play with.I know it sounds ignorant but i tend to teach myself faster and alot easier then others can...So i agree with the weighted keys but umm yeah 170ish or more. Dont need much.Just enough keys to learn good songs on and enough to get me by for now.

Raise the budget to a measly sum of $500 if you are serious about learning. Go for the Casio Privia. If you look used, you can probably find one in the $300-400 range.

Regards,

Eric

Archived