Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any suggestions on tweaking RD-700GX piano ?

I'm really enjoying my RD-700X, but I running into a brick wall trying to get an acoustic piano sound that I'm happy with. There are a multitude of piano patches and so far the only one that I'm satisfied with is a mono sample. I would really appreciate any tricks or tips from RD700 owners on how they are getting a piano sound that they are happy with.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm in my studio, or listening through headphones, that's easy. 1) Turn on RD, 2) Select Superior Grand.

But what I've found with this machine is that playing out, whenever I enter a new acoustic space I have to 1) select either Expressive, Superior or (rarely) Ultimate Grand sample and 2) Hit the EQ section.

And yes, that is a PITA and one reason I'm moving to a S90XS this autumn.

Which of the mono samples are you running, and are you actually running in mono? In which case, none of the stereo samples will sound satisfactory.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Aw thanks guys. Was working but at least had the backdrop of Lake Windemere for my birthday...

I'm really enjoying my RD-700X, but I running into a brick wall trying to get an acoustic piano sound that I'm happy with.

acoustic piano on RD700GX is not that horrible bad although no way close to yamaha S90ES or XS, what is worse for me are EP's which I couldn't tweak for something usable.

Well.I just bought the RD700 GX at the end of June and it was my first electronic keyboard. I loved the action and like the acoustic sound as well.especially through my headphones..I was not pleased with the acoustic sounds through my Traynor K4 no matter how much tweaking I tried. Hopefully that is going to change because tomorrow I should receive the Accugrooves and QSC PLX 1804 amp that I bought from bdhodoway.

As I stated earlierthis is my first electronic piano and dont have much to honestly compare it too.I worked in a music store back in 79 through 81 and we sold the Wurlys and Rhodes pianosalmost bought a Wurly back then but thought I was more of a guitar man should have bought the Wurly chuckle. Funny with thoses instruments compared to what I hear todayis there really a comparisonguess that is why they continue to add those sounds on new boards chuckle.

I still like my GX, even with the keywear starting to show. I can see some of the negatives that some guys complain about but I think there are some real positives with this board. Sometimes I feel that I should have waited for the new Yamaha but I like the feel of this board. I have learned in this short time that the sound system it plugs into is just as important, if not more, than the board itself. I also think that tweaking in part of the fun as well.

Roland RD 700G, AccuGroove Tri-112-L's, QSC PLX 1804, Traynor K4, Fishman SoloAmp, Taylor 510.

Loueasy, I tried the Traynor K4 a while back, and you're right - it doesn't cut it for the Roland piano sound.

Accugrooves will solve all your problems. I've had the AG/QSC PLX 1804 setup. You can adjust it with confidence that the system will give a true reproduction of the sound. Mid-range thrives on Accugrooves.

Interestingly enough, SK, I started using the K4 with my RD300GX a few months ago and love the sound. The easiest alternative is a Yamaha DP and those sound way too bright from my taste; almost like the hammers are made of stone. Yes, one must tweak that beast every time you set it up but it's worth it IMO. And, yes, I'm sure you're right about the Accugrooves sounding much better!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Thanks again for the b'day wishes guys. The job yesterday rather put into perspective this debate, as I was forced to play the drinks reception section on a Steinway.

An antique, neglected, bitch of a Steinway with the most uneven action imaginable and a lyre about to fall off. Made me long to be back on the Stage! Sometimes we forget how lucky we are as keyboard players these days...

Interestingly enough, SK, I started using the K4 with my RD300GX a few months ago and love the sound. The easiest alternative is a Yamaha DP and those sound way too bright from my taste; almost like the hammers are made of stone. Yes, one must tweak that beast every time you set it up but it's worth it IMO. And, yes, I'm sure you're right about the Accugrooves sounding much better!
Oh man, no offense - and I'm glad you like it. It also depends on how the keyboard's adjusted.

I did think the K4 was an impressively good, clear amp and well built; I've just gotten away from all keyboard amps for a while now.

Oh I kept my K4 because there are certainly some real positives with the amp and I am more than glad that I didnt send it back. For acoustics I wanted to get closer to the sound I was getting from my headphones.. We shall seechecked the UPS tracking number of the AGs and they are out fro delivery in town so I should have them when I get off work. Then let the tweaking begin again.I cant wait.Thanks SK.
Roland RD 700G, AccuGroove Tri-112-L's, QSC PLX 1804, Traynor K4, Fishman SoloAmp, Taylor 510.

Archived