Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Distortion Pedals Galore

anderz

Hello, I'm very distressed.

I'm basically looking for a distortion pedal that includes basically sounds from bands such as AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. and is under $140 (US). A lot of patches and presets would be nice, and a wah included would be cool. I was wondering if I should just stick to individual pedals or just buy a multi effects pedal.

Please leave a response, anything would help.

-anderseb

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget about patches and presets, look for a good overdrive/distortion pedal that you can get good sounds out of by adjusting your guitars volume-knob. And get a good wah later on. Any combination wah/distortion/preset and bells-and-whistles laden gizmo is gonna seem all flashy at first, and gradually seem more and more sucky as time goes by. Seriously.

A friend of mine (who's sometimes posted here) had this to say about the Barber Electronics Direct Drive on another forum:

Barber Electronics Direct Drive

When I first heard about this pedal, it was 2004. I had no idea what to expect except that it was supposed to be good. So good GP gave it an Editor's Pick Award. But at $99 at the time, it seemed too good to be true. I expected a DS-1 clone with a better sound. Last Christmas, I got a Barber LTD, which for lower-gain stuff is simply amazing. I can't rave about that pedal enough. So today, after hearing some demo clips from the Direct Drive online, I decided I needed more experience with it. And boy did it pay off. At the risk of spoiling the conclusion: I asked for one for Christmas. For $119, I couldn't believe the sounds I was getting. Three knobs? That kind of versatility? How could it compare to the BB Preamp for so much less? I had to know more, so I played around with it a bit, discovering that not only was it versatile but dynamic and a HUGE range of gain. I could get everything from cranked Fender tones to bluesy Marshall-esque crunch to much, much more. And the way it responded with my Les Paul was outstanding.

I believe that yZe had posted here in the past about that same pedal, and liked it very, very much- and he's very, very picky about distortion-pedals!

You should also do a search on e-Bay for "Fulltone OCD", there are probably some deals to be had out there and this pedal would likely do you VERY well.

Found this on e-Bay:

WAMPLER PLEXTORTION - Mint!

These are great sounding pedals for "AC/DC, Van Halen, etc."-sounds, and were designed specifically to make an open-backed Fender-style combo all Marshally- and they do a bang-up job of it. If you can score a deal on a used one like the one I posted a link to above, I think you'd be VERY happy with it.

Here's a YouTube vid demonstrating the sound of one of the pedals from the Wampler Plextortion line.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan:

Thank you! I will definitely look into it. I was thinking of getting the original Boss distortion pedal, but the Wampler Plextortion matches with my other distortion pedal, with it being purple. I have a Washburn Soloist Distortion, but I really need to get more 80's hard rock instead of just a faded blues crunch, I haven't completely been satisfied with the Washburn.

Bennyguitfiddle:

I'm basically looking for a pedal mainly because I do live performances and stuff more than I used to, so I need a good clean sound (which I have from my amp already) and a good distortion, which is why I am looking at pedals, and I need to switch from clean to distortion or vise versa really quickly. Thanks for posting, as I said, everything helps :D

Stick it to the man.

hope im not too late on this but if i may, i would like to recommend line´s 6 uber metal distortion pedal, that thing simply owns butts to hell and back!

full equalizer (mids treble bass) 3 distortion modes, 2 noice gate modes to clear up unwanted sound and feedback, seriously a nice thing to have...!

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Well, I'm glad you like the color! :D

Also, if you've got several overdrive/distortion pedals, try different combinations of them on together simultaneously in different orders and with different control-settings.

Sometimes using one- like your Washburn Soloist Distortion- to kick up the level going into another pedal, can give you what you're looking for.

Spend 10 more bucks and get something killer like this. I have the big brother RP1000 which I'm using through the effects loop of an old tube amp next week at a bar where they still allow smoking. (I'm not taking my good amp into that environment)

This has wah, looper, and great sounds. A DS-1 isn't going to go far...and this probably has the model in it. Mine does, but the other stuff in it sounds better.

[video:youtube]qaQL-mafhcc

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Just keep in mind, if you are after VH and AC/DC tones, neither used a pedal.

What kind of amp are you running again?

Hahhaahh! GOOD point.

Although, volume and size/weight considerations might come to bear here...

Get a ProCo RAT. $60.

Otherwise, get a more versatile amp. As was mentioned above, the classic VH and AC/DC sounds can't really be copped with a distortion pedal. They got their sound by cranking up the amps.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

You could go with this, or this and do quite well for less than $100.

That second one you linked-to, the used Outlaw Supply 'Hot Box', might be a pretty nice one- especially for the money- if it's what it's cracked-up to be:

"This is a faithful clone of the original Marshall Guv'nor. It's all boutiquey with nice metal case, paint job, true-bypass... "

For that matter, how hard and expensive are used Marshall Guv'nor pedals to come by?

"how hard and expensive are used Marshall Guv'nor pedals to come by?"

That was a popular choice, so they should be easy to find.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

"how hard and expensive are used Marshall Guv'nor pedals to come by?"

That was a popular choice, so they should be easy to find.

But what's the typical goin' rate for one?

I know there are at least two versions of that pedal; any idea if one is more desirable than the other, and if so, why?

Whare's Geoff B.? I believe he brandishes one...

Try a Boss DS-2. I think they run around $80. Covers a pretty good range of tones, and you'll have $$$ left over. It has a regular setting, which is a lot like the Boss DS-1, and then a "Turbo" setting which pumps the mids and gain a bit. With the distortion set moderate-to-low, you can get a really nice, punchy rhythm sound.

What kind of amp are you running again?

I'm using a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt.

Yeah, I know for a fact that EVH believed that having a guitar, an amp, and a good whammy bar is all you really need.

Pedal-wise: I'm like Tom Morello.

Taste/style-wise- Angus Young, definitely.

Stick it to the man.

Yeah, I know for a fact that EVH believed that having a guitar, an amp, and a good whammy bar is all you really need...

"Believed" is past tense, so you must mean before he started using an MXR flanger...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm loving the rp255. 'Nuff said.

It's got all I need:

Volume (for solos)

Wah (because I want it)

Whammy (because I don't want to spend $200 on the original Digitech whammy)

Thanks GuitarPlayerFL, I owe you one. I appreciate everyone's feedback; everything helps a ton. I'm just terrible at shopping :D

Stick it to the man.

I'm loving the rp255. 'Nuff said.

It's got all I need:

Volume (for solos)

Wah (because I want it)

Whammy (because I don't want to spend $200 on the original Digitech whammy)

Thanks GuitarPlayerFL, I owe you one. I appreciate everyone's feedback; everything helps a ton. I'm just terrible at shopping :D

Cool! :thu:

Digitech has really come a long way in the modeling department. IMO, they do the classic amps better than Line 6 (and I also have POD Farm which is basically the X3 in software form). If you need help on it, both the Digitech RP255 forum and the same area at The Stompbox are great resources.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Does AC/DC really use "distortion," or is that just amps cranked to almost overdriving and a lot of air being moved? They're pretty clean and tonal (especially Malcolm).

I think people register that sound in their memory banks and perceptions as way more distorted than it really is... similar to how I see cover bands play Stones songs with tons of distortion on the guitars (it's only acoustics overdriving a tape recorder mic preamp a bit on the originals, sometimes) and sound a hell of a lot less "heavy" as result.

I think people register that sound in their memory banks and perceptions as way more distorted than it really is...

Same with Page. Listening back to familiar Zeppelin tunes I'm often surprised by how clean his sound really was. It was the arrangements & performances that made them the proto-heavy band, not a ton of distortion.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

What's the best distortion for the sound you want? OMG, where to begin?! Here's my $0.02

First understand that every disortion sounds different depending on what amp it's feeding. Yeah it's in your hands too, but that''s for another thread. Deacades ago I used to think that Big Muffs were the worst disortions ever. Then I heard one plugged into a Marshall and whoa it sounded good!

So I'm going to recommend a Line6 DM4. Find a store that has one and take your amp there or rent one. explain to the store owners that you want to find the right distortion for you and your current amp. If they are cool that should be fine. Dial up the different sounds and when you find the one you want just look in the guide and see what pedal it's modeling and buy that one.

Sorry but I do not recommend Digitech pedals. They have a mid-range bump that sounds like a person holding there nose closed and talking. (Seriously, try it) But if you have one try to dial in that mid freq and reduce it by a few dB.

And yes like some folks said here, many times the old school players didn't us a pedal and the sound is not as distorted as you think it is. still you might need a bit of something depending on your amp.

I don't really want to get a line 6 product, considering I already have a line 6 amp and I want to get different sounds from different companies. My wattage on my amp is about 15, so I need a pedal for boost, maybe some EQ, etc. I'm kind of in a tight budget, so the dm4 isn't probably going to work. I'm aware that EVH and Angus Young plug direct into the amp, thanks, I had no idea! (you learn something new every day)

I guess the rp255 is my final decision, considering it's got everything I want and more.

Stick it to the man.

I don't really want to get a line 6 product, considering I already have a line 6 amp and I want to get different sounds from different companies. My wattage on my amp is about 15, so I need a pedal for boost, maybe some EQ, etc. I'm kind of in a tight budget, so the dm4 isn't probably going to work. I'm aware that EVH and Angus Young plug direct into the amp, thanks, I had no idea! (you learn something new every day)

I guess the rp255 is my final decision, considering it's got everything I want and more.

Aaaaah, but what Tmidiman was suggesting was that you use a Line 6 DM4 digital-modeling pedal in a store to try out its various digital-models to see which one best suits you, your guitar, and amp (good idea, Tmidiman!), and then try out the real pedal that the model you liked best is based on. :thu::cool:

And I still think that the Wampler Plextortion would be an excellent match for you all-around.

YouTube vid / Wampler Plextortion

Archived