Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I AM STOKED OUT OF MY MIND

MAJUSCULE

Well, guys 'n' gals, I'm very excited to say that I will have my first lesson on monday with Chris Andrew. Here's his bio:

"Since graduating from Grant MacEwan College in 1990, Chris has become a key player in the Alberta music scene. His musical diversity can be seen through his numerous performances over the years in genres such as jazz, funk, pop, latin, and musical theatre. He has studied in Cuba and has toured across Canada countless times in a number of bands with various musical styles.

Although well known as a jazz educator in Alberta, Chris is best known for his ability to play. In the jazz vein, Chris resume lists a veritable whos who of jazz. Chris has performed with Joshua Redman, Sonny fortune, Bud Shank, Pete Christlieb, Joe LaBarbera, P.J. Perry, Kirk MacDonald, Paquito DRivera, Brad Turner, and Steve Wallace, just to name some highlights. Locally, Chris has performed or recorded with numerous well-known groups including The Jump Orchestra, Maracujah, Bomba, Kelly Allana, Tim Tamashiro, The Swinging Bovines, The Edmonton Symphony, Phatty, and The Devoties. Chris has recently been honoured with the CBC Galaxie Rising Star Award for his virtuosic talent."

The man has performed at jazz festivals all over Canada, including more than one show on the main stage of the Montreal Jazz Fest. And I'm taking lessons with him! Remember, I'm 16, so this is a big deal. Just thought I'd share all this with you guys. Here are some links:

http://www.myspace.com/hutchinsonandrewtrio

http://www.myspace.com/bombaweb

http://www.myspace.com/chrisandrewpianoguy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish you all the best in taking lessons with a respected player. Be a sponge. Soak up the knowledge he is willing to provide. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Nice. I suspect this will be a life long thing. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He is arguably the best player in Alberta.
:laugh: sorry, that's funny. At first glance, I would think there were like, what, two, maybe three players up there? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

See if he doesn't mind you making audio recordings of the lessons. You'll learn a lot more by going home and re-listening to the lesson. Especially if he teaches through demonstration, as most do.

Years ago in college I was studying with a really great teacher. I recorded the lessons and found that I was doing most of the talking. After that, I learned to shut up and let the teacher earn her money!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived