Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I stumbled upon a used S90 ES

zephonic

The owner wants to get rid of it as it does not fit in his car (a Volvo C70 convertible, go figure) and he complains it is too heavy anyway.

You can tell that it has seen a lot of action, it looks worn with a huge dent in the left wood-like cheek (it looks like wood, but the dent reveals that it is actually some kind of compressed cardboard), but I have played it before and it seems to be mechanically okay.

How much would you pay for it? I reckon it is about 5 years old or something, and I think he wants to sell it with the (impossibly heavy) custom-made flight case.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
400-500 bucks for an S90ES? You are joking... Maybe if it's beat to crap, but one in good condition is worth a lot more than that even with blowout prices on new ones and the XS on the horizon.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I agree with Moe maybe $600 tops........Seems that it has some road rash.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

it looks like wood, but the dent reveals that it is actually some kind of compressed cardboard),

That's for compatibility with a KC500 amp.

How do you tell cardboard from MDF?

At least they're not trying to get you to help them smuggle it out of the country!

It's not in Kenya but in the Netherlands, and it is in good condition (though cosmetically challenged). There are none for sale around here, but a new one goes for 1900 Euros.

The prices are sufficiently different around the world, that the question should be what it is worth to you?

I would pay between US$1000 and $1200 for a unit in good condition. I purchased a B-stock unit for $1600 a couple of years ago, and it would be nice to have a back-up.

Good luck,

Jerry

PS: I am curious if you have estimated shipping costs from Holland, and what those would be.

Shipping will be about 150 Euros +30 euros excise at destination. I don't use that to haggle as these costs apply to anything I'd buy out here.

I wish I had thought about you a year ago. I was in Nairobi for a wedding and did a piano-bar type sing-song for the wedding party in Naivasha. It would have been great to connect and you might have been able to point me to a decent source for backline.

Jerry

Oh wow, hope you had a good time. You should definitely holler next time you come down. And I am sure you are aware that your moniker is a much loved brew in Kenya! :laugh:

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used KB of ANY kind that is beat up cosmetically. What that says is the owner does not take care of his equipment. I have a MOTIF ES8 that I brought brand new 5 years ago. I have a flight case for it. There are all of TWO scratches on that board, and I was mad as hell that I put them on there when I was shoring up my Mic and boom stand when setting up for a gig. There's no excuse for not being careful with your instrument. I'd pass.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

That's true Mike. My Electro is one of the originals. I've had it for at least 7 years, probably longer, I can't remember. I got it when they first came on the market though. The only cosmetic issue with it is the silkscreen paint is wearing off around a couple of the knobs from my fingers rubbing against it. Everything else is perfectly intact, and I don't even have a hard case for it, I use a soft bag that I've lined with extra foam.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

DanL:

If the paint is wearing off the knobs and everything else is perfectly intact, that's a sign of someone that takes care of his instruments. I don't care for soft bags, although I have had a few. The zippers never lasted on either one of them. Can't beat them for light weight though.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think I too would be nervous at that amount of physical damage, not particularly from the cosmetic side (which can probably be fixed) but at how much stress that indicates the internals have undergone. Unless it's dirt cheap and not going to be used in mission-critical situations, I'd wait for an alternative.

Btw, how come you've played it if you're shipping it from NL to Kenya?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

DanL:

If the paint is wearing off the knobs and everything else is perfectly intact, that's a sign of someone that takes care of his instruments. I don't care for soft bags, although I have had a few. The zippers never lasted on either one of them. Can't beat them for light weight though.

Mike T.

Funny you should say that- the 1st zipper broke about a month ago. It's a "Muscians Friend" soft bag, cost me about 30 bucks, and I've had it for as long as I've had the electro. I always carry and load my own gear and I think that's a big part of it.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Btw, how come you've played it if you're shipping it from NL to Kenya?

I am in the Netherlands at the moment. The instrument in question belongs to an old acquaintance, who is a hobbyist and only plays occasionally.

I sort of know the history of the instrument and have played it on several occasions. It feels alright, despite the scars.

I guess they're loved, because I could not found any used one for sale here in Holland. Therefore I cannot determine what a reasonable price is.

A reasonable price would be one that you feel good about and are willing to pay. "New" S90ES's were going pretty cheap in the States before Yamaha announced the S90XS. Close out prices on remaining stock should be pretty low if you can find a company that ships to Europe. Good luck finding a company willing to ship to Kenya. :rawk:

Mike T.

I briefly thought about the S90ES before choosing the newer model but was unable to track down anywhere in the UK which would still admit to having one.

Zephonic, has your acquaintance been able to give an account of how that huge dent got there? That may be significant one way or another.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I've shared this before, but I bought a mint S90ES in early 2008 for $1200 including a sturdy X-stand, bench, FC3 pedal and music stand. I flipped the S90ES for a $500+ profit and kept all the accessories.

Regards,

Eric

Show-off! ;) If I can get one for $1200 anywhere, it's a done deal. Man, strong currency sucks, 1500 Euro is $2127. For a used (and cosmetically challenged) one. It really speaks for the instrument that it retains its value so well. If I were to sell my FanX7 now, I'd be lucky to get $1200 for it.

I've shared this before, but I bought a mint S90ES in early 2008 for $1200 including a sturdy X-stand, bench, FC3 pedal and music stand. I flipped the S90ES for a $500+ profit and kept all the accessories.

Regards,

Eric

That was used right? I'm still thinking it was hard to beat my deal out the door new.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived