Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help an old guy with recording MP3's Please

LeftyBlues

I'd like to put some recorded clips on the forum and obviously have no clue. I have an MP3 player that has a voice record feature so the other night I used my G-Dec amp for a back up band and tried my hand at recording. The file is a WAV type I believe but I need MP3 to put on soundclick to link to here....ah computers give me a headache. So right now I have no idea where to start. Should I just buy a cheap digital recorder or what? This is probably so easy and basic to you guys that you're laughing your collective arses off right now...but I know I'll get help 'cause I always do round these parts. Thanks in advance from the old left hander.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're able to transfer the file from the mp3 device to your computer, there should be a way to convert from WAV to MP3, etc., usually pretty simple and often done via the "Save As" function (look for a little drop-down sub-menu where there's a window-slot that'll have the file type displayed in it, select the appropriate option and go).

Hope I've helped more than done any damage! :D

Hopefully, Craig/"A String" or someone will be along here to REALLY set you straight... :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey!

computers, now thats something i can really help out in =) its like my big amp, i know how all the tubes work :o

this is how id do it:

i imagine you have that little strange plug that will turn ur regular guitar cable into a speaker jack input ( mini plug i belive its called, the regular computer speaker or headphone cables, u can buy it off a shop like walmart or radioshack, anywhere mostly ifu dont have one..)

get windows media encoder (you dont really need this but u can select different quality settings and the file you get is rather small) this is free and from microsoft so you can just google it download it and install it.

hook the guitar to the computer (where the computer microphone jack is, should be the pink colored one in the back) and launch WM encoder.

---at windows media encoder--

one you open it up a pop up window will come up, close that and hit the properties button that you will be able to find in the general screen, you have 3 tabs here, well more than that really but we are mainly going to work with 3 tabs.

1st = devices. select this tab,not much change will be needed here, select the device option so the program looks for the input devices you have on your pc, uncheck video and just select ur computer microphone input for audio.

2nd = output, you will have 3 check marks here, push pull and save to file, as youc an guess, remove the 1st 2 checks and just work with save to file, name and chose where the file will be saved.

3d= compression, here is the quality options the program gives you, the higher the compression the bigger the file and the better the quality of the recording, id suggest you tape from 120 to 150KBPS (148 on program) and see how you like it,this is more than enough usually for audio only over the internet... you can play around with these...

click apply, close this little screen and you will be able to see a big green play button to start the recording, then a stop red button to stop it =)

if you want to see the audio input, simply click on view on the main screen and select audio pannel i belive its called...

it wont save it to MP3 but it will create a WMV...

if you chose to go this way let me know and ill give you a site and account for you to upload the file and stream it (personal server, so its free...)

hope it helps! there are way easier ways to do this but this will just give you a so much better quality than the regular windows recorder for instnace....

pm me if you need anything,

best regads,

Ben

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

There are all sorts of free softwares to convert waves to MP3s. Do a google search.

If you want to have some fun, get something like the home version of Samplitude or Cakewalk (about $60-$80), and an adapter for your sound card input (if you've got a laptop, it is a mono 1/8" jack, and you can record one track at a time, if it is a desktop, it is usually a stereo 1/8" jack, so you can record 2 tracks at a time.... you need to convert the 1/8" to whatever your mixer offers.) These softwares have things like drums built in, VSTi instruments, etc. So you don't need the band around, you can record what you want, when you want, or do a mixture of live and canned...like always wanted cellos on that one song of yours? Now you can have them.

If you want to get a little deeper, I usually recommend any major manufacturers equivalent of the Tascam US-122, because it comes with everything you need except for a mic, headphones, and talent. Usually available on ebay for under $150, or new for about $200. That is easy to set up, won't give you a headache, and is a great way to get your feet wet, while you decide if you want to jump into the recording stream or not.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Hey Lefty, here you go...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's free... and explaines everything. Drop your WAV file on it.. or open it.. and then save as.. and select MP3. In the options of the program change your output setting of the Mp3 to 128bit. Higher then that and SOundclick gets mad, unless you pay for your soundclick.. then you can encode at higher rate.

Yay! Here we go with muh post.

Audacity:

The golden key to recording; you can record two guitars, one with a backing track, and a lead, you can add a drum lead and record you jamming with it directly; the possibilities are endless. Plus with the mp3 save as feature!

An amazing converter and overall product.

Either check out Guitar Rig Mobile (External Signal Chain input) or:

http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Aureon_5.1_PCI_1988.html

(Internal sound card with a 1/8 input from your signal chain)

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

There are all sorts of free softwares to convert waves to MP3s. Do a google search.

If you want to have some fun, get something like the home version of Samplitude or Cakewalk (about $60-$80), and an adapter for your sound card input (if you've got a laptop, it is a mono 1/8" jack, and you can record one track at a time, if it is a desktop, it is usually a stereo 1/8" jack, so you can record 2 tracks at a time.... you need to convert the 1/8" to whatever your mixer offers.) These softwares have things like drums built in, VSTi instruments, etc. So you don't need the band around, you can record what you want, when you want, or do a mixture of live and canned...like always wanted cellos on that one song of yours? Now you can have them.

If you want to get a little deeper, I usually recommend any major manufacturers equivalent of the Tascam US-122, because it comes with everything you need except for a mic, headphones, and talent. Usually available on ebay for under $150, or new for about $200. That is easy to set up, won't give you a headache, and is a great way to get your feet wet, while you decide if you want to jump into the recording stream or not.

On Bill's advice, I bought a US-144 (the newer version of the US-122). I couldn't be happier with it. You can get it for as little as $120:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=242193V

As he says, it comes with multitrack recording software, a USB 2.0 interface device and the cable to connect it. You just install the software, plug in your guitar and you are good to go.

i downloaded audacity and the lame. i am messing with a fostex that is not hooked to my cpu; i put wav files on a cd, then transfer them to the computer, then convert. any advice?

btw, thanks loads for the discussion...i needed exactly that.

I MP3 my stuff in Sound Forge, I could do it in Sonar but I been using Sound Forge since almost day one of digital recording for me. Anyways there are some cheap or free MP3 converters out there, just google that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived