Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions For Tony Iommi?

Barry Cleveland

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh! Ooh! :D

For starters, THANKS not only for the early Sabbath stuff- that stuff just KILLS, even now!- but also for the Heaven And Hell album with Dio; fantastic guitar playing and tone- I wore out some vinyl and cassettes of that when I was a kid! It came out at just the right time!

How'd you get that fantastic guitar-sound to tape on the first Sabbath album? Not only what guitar, strings, any pedals, amps, speakers/cabs, control-settings, etc., but also mic'ing, the room, and anything else post-mic?

How would you recommend someone get in the ballpark there for a similar LIVE sound nowadays, particularly WITHOUT utterly deafening volume in smaller settings? A friend of mine with a Laney half-stack has cited your "evil" early Sab-sound as part of how he wants to sound with his band...

Sorry if I've asked some routine, predictable questions- just chalk it up to your doing such a great, influential job of it back then!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Like Caevan said - thanks for the first 10 or so Sabbath LPs (quite a run, eh?)

How about, does Iommi ever want to try his hand at a straight blues project, you know, like pre-Sabbath when they were called Earth?

Did you ever consider playing right-handed, before or after the notorious finger accident?

Any tinnitus?

Do you feel like the bands that cite you as influences take the right elements from what you are doing, or do they focus on things are incidental to your music making perspective?

The rift between you and RJD was legendary - probably the biggest momentum-kill in the history of band comebacks. What was your personal take on that whole situation? We've heard many versions of the story, I'd love to hear it straight from the horse's mouth...

1) Is there any chance of getting the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert footage from 1975 out on DVD? That was a great show especially with the guys in the front row going nuts with their home made Sabbath T-shirts.

2.) Why did you shave your moustache during the California Jam period...and why did you grow it back? :)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Has the whole "satanic" Sabbath image caused you any problems over the years?

Is there anything you haven't accomplished in your career yet that you want to?

When you aren't working, what do you do?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I suppose it's too late but maybe you could e-mail him a question about what this was like

TI with Jethro Tull

on the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OzkIx2t2I

(if in a hurry, dial up the 2:30 mintue mark)

Whoa! Good one!

Here's another one from me: "Have you had any particularly memorable jams with other legendary guitarists?"

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I suppose it's too late but maybe you could e-mail him a question about what this was like

TI with Jethro Tull

on the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OzkIx2t2I

(if in a hurry, dial up the 2:30 mintue mark)

Probably similar to when he auditioned for Tull back in the 60's, before he founded BS.... :D

Did you really emerge from an onstage coffin during the Black and Blue tour back in '79 or was it me just "imagining" it that night???

Thanks for creating some of the best guitar riffs ever. Black Sabbath is my favorite band of all time.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Also...

How have your recording methods changed over the years, both for final release sessions, and for songwriting and making demos?

What are you glad has gone by the wayside or changed, what are you glad has remained, and what do you miss?

What are your thoughts concerning anyone who's left-handed newly taking up the guitar- how should they decide if they should go left-handed, right-handed, or some kind of reversed/upside-down combination?

Two words, little buddy, "Sub Scription". :laugh:

Good one. :D

Gotta ask:

A pinch of what?! :freak:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/Mr/pinch.jpghttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/Smileys/pinchme.jpg

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Griffinator

Gotta ask:

LOL - might you be referring to "Just a pinch between the geek and chum"?

I'm a bit of a spoonerism nut, and I thought it would be amusing to use this Cheek and Gum spoonerism of the old Skoal slogan in my tagline. So to answer your question - it's a spooner warped pinch of chewin' tabacky!

I'm not sure if I wanna know what the pinching stuff is that Bluesape proferred! :laugh:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Griffinator

Gotta ask:

LOL - might you be referring to "Just a pinch between the geek and chum"?

I'm a bit of a spoonerism nut, and I thought it would be amusing to use this Cheek and Gum spoonerism of the old Skoal slogan in my tagline. So to answer your question - it's a spooner warped pinch of chewin' tabacky!

I'm not sure if I wanna know what the pinching stuff is that Bluesape proferred! :laugh:

It's a blended Scotch, isn't it? "Old Pinch"...

Archived