Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mackie HD1521 Powered Speaker

NoahZark

Has anyone heard these things yet?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/noah822/HD1521-large.jpg

80 pounds is certainly a little off-putting, but I'd be using them as mains for a small bar/club PA, not keyboard monitors.

I'm intrigued by the birch enclosures (no plastic) and the use of EAW-designed transducers.

These Mackies are more expensive than the QSC K12s that seem to be quickly gaining fans (see WDL's most recent thread), but I'm curious whether the Mackies deserve serious consideration as well.

Anyone heard 'em?

Noah

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wood is good. But don't overrate the EAW transducers. EAW is now owned by Mackie, and their transducers are way out of date. Having Mackie take over EAW is like having KIA take over Porsche...

Now, if Meyer Sound made an inexpensive lightweight main......

PS--QSC has a birch cabinet powered speaker weighing in at 60 pounds: HPR122i

http://www.qscaudio.com/images/products/hpr/HPR122i_angle_small.jpg

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Having Mackie take over EAW is like having KIA take over Porsche...

When did Mackie become the KIA of speaker manufacturers? Not too long ago, there were many fans of the SRM 450s, including folks on this very Forum. Now it's like we're talking about Behringer!

Interesting how manufacturers fall out of favor....

Noah

P.S. I'd still be curious to hear from anyone who's actually heard the new Mackies. Based, however, on the number of views of this thread without responses, I'm guessing that no one has. Darn. I hate it when I have to do my own legwork..... ;)

Noah, the GC in Rockville has those Mackies set up.

I didn't listen to them but one of the salesman wasn't really impressed with them. You know how that goes. :)

In general, Mackie is losing favor as a result of the er, overseas manufacturing. ;)

Next time I'm in the store, I'll take the HDs for a spin. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

PD: Good to know. I'll have to give 'em a listen next time I'm at the Rockville GC. Maybe they'll have the QSCs for me to listen to as well, but I'm guessing that I'll need to hit the live sound room at Levin's for those speakers.

I have definitely fallen out of like with my SRM 450s, and although I may keep them as stage/vocal monitors, I'm looking to replace them as our PA mains. Time for me to go do some auditioning.....

Noah

PD: Good to know. I'll have to give 'em a listen next time I'm at the Rockville GC. Maybe they'll have the QSCs for me to listen to as well, but I'm guessing that I'll need to hit the live sound room at Levin's for those speakers.

The Rockville GC has the new QSC K series too. ;)

Well, they had them a few months back. Not sure if they have moved the K's back back into the pro sound room by now.

So, in either Rockville and Wheaton, your listening tests await. :wave::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived