Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: To participants in the Elixir test group

saxofunk

Remember the Elixir string deal a few years ago? I was one of those who signed up, played on their strings for a few months, then completed an online survery. They sent me a nice blue insulated coffee cup.

Today my cup got knocked off my desk and the impact separated the stainless steel interior from the plastic exterior. This stinks. I really liked this cup. It has been an integral part of my coffee habit, like a dear friend. I guess it's time to find another promotional coffee cup.

- Matt W.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy,

Your generosity is amazing. The cost of shipping could be spent on a fine mug locally. Pass yours on to a worthy student or use it as a white elephant. I may already have something in the cupboard.

- Matt W.

Yeah, mine got used a few years ago as an ashtray for band mates while we were on the road. I didn't find out until after the fact. I was pissed and only got "It's ok, man...you can just wash it!" The taste of butts doesn't wash out of brushed aluminum.

I had similar feelings for my cup until that point. I later got a sweet one from work when I started working for GE a few years ago and that's been my crutch ever since.

I never had a cup but I hated the Elixirs when I used them... maybe why they never published the results, because their bass strings can't compete with good ones.

Davio, what do you do for GE?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I think the harsh reality of the price might have deterred players from going with Elixirs. I tell people that I play Dean Markley Blue Steel's and some of them are shocked and call them expensive. They're certainly cheaper than Elixirs.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Does anyone remember.. some years ago, some strings that announced "PSD: Piano String Design", which were pretty thin (about a single thin winding) at the bridge, and then had the outer winding AFTER the bridge saddle point...? Which brand these were? I remember having played... around 1991.. somebody's bass with those (one of the not-so-pointy, P-P older B.C. Rich basses with the bold "R" logo instead of the handwritten name at the headstock), and remember feeling quite an earthquake with those, and amazing sounding too. Never saw those again...

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

The fun part of using Elixir strings is that when they start wearing out, you get all these teflon strings hanging all over the place on your bass.

That was within the first 2 months with mine... that lasted another month or so I think, then I put some flats on instead.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Does anyone remember.. some years ago, some strings that announced "PSD: Piano String Design", which were pretty thin (about a single thin winding) at the bridge, and then had the outer winding AFTER the bridge saddle point...? Which brand these were? I remember having played... around 1991.. somebody's bass with those (one of the not-so-pointy, P-P older B.C. Rich basses with the bold "R" logo instead of the handwritten name at the headstock), and remember feeling quite an earthquake with those, and amazing sounding too. Never saw those again...

Rotosound PSD99... not sure if they're the ones you're referring to... I was looking at these in my latest new string qwest.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I had Elixirs on my Ibanez, and really loved the feel and tone. No teflon threads, though. I'm still thinking of restringing it with Elixirs, but I hardly use it anymore and the strings that are on it (DR's I think) haven't quite worn out yet. Don't even know what strings are on the fender, but I'm guessing it's Fenders :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

The offer expired July 31, 2009, and it was only available in the United States and Canada...

I'm not sure what postage is to Belgium, but I don't think I'll use them, its the 4-string set, if you want them PM me.

Nah man, I was only kidding. I still have a set of strings from Jeremy that I need to put to use :) But thanks anyway !

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hey I just bought two sets of Elixir and got jack.

Not fair :(

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Davio, what do you do for GE?

It wasn't very interesting. I worked for GE Money...one of GE's companies that does department store credit cards. I worked there for about 6 months before uprooting and moving to Boston.

I think the harsh reality of the price might have deterred players from going with Elixirs. I tell people that I play Dean Markley Blue Steel's and some of them are shocked and call them expensive. They're certainly cheaper than Elixirs.

Blue Steel's - $20...definitely not expensive for bass strings!

Elixirs - $40...getting toward the expensive side.

TI Jazz Flats - $55...definitely expensive.

I don't know how you or the people you talk to judge string prices but neither Blue Steele's nor Elixirs are over the top price-wise. TONS of bass players use TI Jazz Flats exclusively (check TB for verification). I think they're crazy but then, I have a $300 set of strings on my URB (I didn't pay that much).

I had Elixirs on my Ibanez, and really loved the feel and tone. No teflon threads, though.

I think we've talked about this before but I also prefer Elixirs on my BTB. They do a lot to smooth out a fairly honky sounding bass. I always get the threads after a while though. It takes a long time to get them now since I don't play that bass much anymore either.

I used only TIs (Jazz Flats, Jazz Rounds, Inford SuperAlloys) for years and never paid more than $38 a set. They lasted (easily) twice as long as any other string I've tried in 35+ years. The value is there - but the strings require a light touch as they are very low tension and prone to a compressed tone if you like to dig in (IMHO).

...which is the reason I switched to DRs.

My $0.02 worth...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I used only TIs (Jazz Flats, Jazz Rounds, Inford SuperAlloys) for years and never paid more than $38 a set.

I was just going off of musiciansfriend prices. Where do you get them so cheap? I've been wanting to try them after reading so much on TB but the price has always disuaded me.

I used only TIs (Jazz Flats, Jazz Rounds, Inford SuperAlloys) for years and never paid more than $38 a set.

I was just going off of musiciansfriend prices. Where do you get them so cheap? I've been wanting to try them after reading so much on TB but the price has always disuaded me.

A friend sold me a set for $35. Said he bought them by the case (10 sets per case??) really cheap.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I bought them from the old DudePit Forum. Steve was a distributer and had the best prices around, Unfortunately, that forum is verplunkdt (or gone), but I've still got a set of unused Jazz Rounds here somewhere gathering copious amounts of dust... care to give them them a shot? I can send them with the Millenium... Very light scale and tension - 0.43 to 0.89. If you play with a light touch they respond beautifully; if you like to dig in, they tend to sound compressed. It's a personal thing, much like the Jazz Flats.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

.43-.89? Sounds like a 3-string set! I'd actually like to give them a shot on my fretless (I'm assuming it's a 4-string set) if you want to send them along. I've had LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass nylon tapewounds on it for a couple years now (60-70-97-115...but surprisingly low tension) but I'd love to try something new like that! I'd need to do a bit of nut work though.

Yeahyeahyeah...I'm a bit of nut work...get it out of your system.

Archived