Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Jamerson Self-Teaching Book?

[Did a forum search "james jamerson book" and got relatively little, sorry if this is a repetitive post.]

I feel like I need to give this man some more attention. Anyone have good recommendations? Standing In The Shadows Of Motown?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how to read well enough to handle standard notation of most music. I'm actually glad that book is in standard notation only, because that will force me to improve my reading skills regarding some of the more complex rhythms. (I hate this but sometimes I am too lazy to want to subdivide into sixteenths when I am reading...) I have always (and only) learned to read better by being forced to do it, rather than choosing it as a "higher path" versus tablature. Sad, I know, and had I not gone through the jazz band at high school and undergrad I probably wouldn't be able to sightread bass clef worth a darn because I doubt I would have forced myself to do it on my own time. (I'm feeling more pathetic with each sentence.)

Learning the music by ear might be even better for me because I do even less of that than reading notation. I have always felt like I am bad at it even though it would appear that I am in fact decent at it--I just get really discouraged when I can't hear a transient note perfectly well, or when I realize I was completely off target on a certain interval every now and then.

I have only VERY rarely transcribed music. Maybe I can ear the stuff out, transcribe it, and compare it to the notation in the book.

Yeah... sounds like that's the right book to learn something with. Thanks for the thought-stirring comments, JC.

+1 for Standing in the Shadows of Motown, especially because it offers transcriptions of the less commonly known Jamerson lines, like "How long's That Evening Train Been Gone?"

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I definitely need the practice, earing and transcribing. I don't do it nearly enough. Of course if it's as tricky as you suggest I may just get frustrated like when working on other things that have lots of subtle little features to get lost in.

This time it won't happen... I swear... :/

I have the Standing in the Shadows book. It is a must-have. I haven't finished it, but I studied it one year & it transformed my playing. Just get it & prepare for a good mind-blowing.

:D

Edit: Is Volume 3 an addition to the original or a reprint...? It's the only volume I can find at B&N.com and I plan to use a coupon to snag it.

While you're studying soul/R&B bass, I also highly recommend checking out Duck Dunn. The book What Duck Done is really good. You can also pick up a copy of The Best of Sam and Dave and The Best of Booker T and the MGs--these are great albums to have anyway, and the bass playing is wonderful.

Duck is deceptively simple. Simple, in the sense that he strives for maximum impact with the fewest notes needed--and always pulls it off. Deceptive, though, because he has an incredible feel that is a huge part of his sound and a real challenge (for me!) to get under the fingers. Great note choices too.

Duck is deceptively simple. Simple, in the sense that he strives for maximum impact with the fewest notes needed--and always pulls it off.

What a trait to have. I must check that book out. I am familiar with Sam & Dave and Booker T--will check that out too.

Thanks Dan!!

I went with my handy coupon and member card and ordered the only In The Shadows of Motown book that would come up at B&N--I guess it's Vol. 3? I can't wait till it shows up.

Archived