Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Max Bennett - In France They Kiss on Main Street

Chili Bass

Only recently did I hear Joni Mitchell's "In France They Kiss on Main Street" and I was blown away by the amazing fretless playing and *sound* that made its way through my crappy car FM radio.

I've since learned that Max Bennett played bass on the studio version of that song and Jaco later joined Joni for some live performances of it.

Does anyone want to take a guess as to what setup Max might have been using? Is he using compression or other effects?

PS: If this sounds like a newbie question... well, I've only been playing bass for less than 2 years.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tater: You're so right. I came across that concert when looking for info on who played bass on the studio cut. Pretty impressive line-up: Joni, Jaco, Metheny, Lyle Mays, Don Alias, Michael Brecker. It's too bad she insisted on inter-cutting the concert footage with other clips.

Chad: Yeah, I was stunned to see MB's DOB. What an amazing musician - and still crankin' it out.

Thanks jeremyC and tnb for your comments as well.

(Wow...) I wrote to Max and received a reply a few hours later. He said "The bass that I used at that time was a 1962 Fender Precision with a Boss chorus which allowed me to get that sound."

He also wrote a few general other comments as well. (I didn't feel right cutting and pasting everything he said.)

It's pretty cool when a serious, seasoned cat like Max takes the time to answer an email like that. Very cool. Thank you Max!

(Wow...) I wrote to Max and received a reply a few hours later...

It's pretty cool when a serious, seasoned cat like Max takes the time to answer an email like that. Very cool. Thank you Max!

It is very cool. Cats like Max are heroes to us, not the general public. I'm betting he was tickled pink at your email.

Archived