Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Lefties out there?

bigmacbassman

I'm new to this community, but not new to bass forums. (Fender, Bandmix, etc.) Are there any southpaws out there that have as hard a time as I do finding quality basses without having to mortage the house?? There seems to be a lot of cheap crap out there. Share your thoughts................

Fender

Ibanez

Carvin

Hartke

AKG

www.bandmix.com/bigmacbassman/

www.myspace.com/bigmacsundogz

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome to the forum.

I'm a lefty, and I feel your pain.

I have a Dean ABG, a Fender MIM J Bass, a Hohner PJ fretless, and I just bought a G & L Tribute. More companies are putiing out a quality $500 left hander, but only Southpaw Guitars in Houston seems to have a wide variety readily available.

When will Fender make their new 5 string P Bass in a lefty, that's my question.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Welcome to the Lowdown.

I am right handed but play left handed so I understand your frustration, but the availability of quality left handed instruments is better now than it has ever been. Furthermore, the quality of inexpensive instruments (Squier, SX, OLP) has risen significantly to the point where, with a few minor modifications, they are completely gig-worthy.

Two Websites that are lefty focused are:

http://www.leftybassist.com/

http://www.leftybass.com/index.htm

Many of the members of these boards list instruments for sale there before putting them on e-bay.

Of course you could also build your own instrument, but that can be very expensive. The best route to go if you decide to DIY is Carvin. Their B4 and B5 bass kits are very high quality, easy to assemble and half the price it would cost of comparable parts from Warmoth or USACG.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I've found mostly expensive or cheap, not a whole lot of middle. The new G&L L2000 Tribute, and imported MTD lefties are two that come to mind as middle-of-the-road pricing.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I am a guitar player, and a lefty, but I learned to play the guitar right-handed, for a number of reasons. (mostly, when I started, guitars were expensive and every body didn't have one, and those to which I did have access were right handed models.)

And I think that it is very practical to do so. Like, you don't need a 'lefty' car, or a 'lefty' piano, or TV or remote control. We really do adapt quite well.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I bought my Jbass from them, under $500, with a gig bag, plus they threw in some swag, a T-shirt, and even chocolate chip cookies!

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Thanks guys for your input. I actually do have a Carvin that I custom ordered back in 2000. It's an LB20 fretless with upgrades. It cost me about $1200 out the door. I also have an Ibanez from the 70's or 80's (no one can ID it!) that I'm in the process of refinishing. I found it on eBay for $200. It plays really nice. I also found a pretty good 5 string from Raven West, around $400. Recently I contacted Fender to see if they could make me a Mike Dirnt signature 51 Precision in a lefty. The Custom Shop said it would be about $4800!! WTF!! All they have to do is turn the damn thing over before routing!! I really like the look and vibe of that model, but not at that price. If anyone is interested, you can try to ID my Ibanez by going to my Bandmix page at: www.bandmix.com/bigmacbassman. There is a photo of the bass before I stripped it. Oh well, starting to ramble now. Thanks again. Keep it LOW.

Fender

Ibanez

Carvin

Hartke

AKG

The Ibanez is the green one right? It looks like a BTB model with a 2 band preamp. Does it have Barts in it?

You could check out B. Hefner Co. for Fender licensed bodies and necks and I believe you could get them in left handed models. Build another one for a lot less than $4800.

I bought this body from there.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/63p-bass/PJ%20-%20TRB5%20-%20BB/100_1643.jpg

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I am right handed but play left handed

Now that's something I've never heard ! Our guitarist is left handed but he plays right handed, and I know of a few people who do that, but for some reason I've never heard about right handed people playing left. Not that it's any of my business, but is there any particular reason for doing so?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I am right handed but play left handed

Now that's something I've never heard ! Our guitarist is left handed but he plays right handed, and I know of a few people who do that, but for some reason I've never heard about right handed people playing left. Not that it's any of my business, but is there any particular reason for doing so?

I'm righty but play lefty. I played righty for a number of years until an injury obliged me to learn how to play lefty.

Greta Brinkman (Moby) is a righty who plays lefty. According to her she just learned to play it that way.

I play lefty because of a birth defect of my lefthand makes it impossible for me to use it as my fretting hand.

This isn't the greatest pic, but you can kinda see my lefthand here;

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/Basshappi/CIMG2092.jpg

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

The Ibanez is the green one right? It looks like a BTB model with a 2 band preamp.

I'm not positive, but I think the blue one that's in pieces is the Ibanez. Neither are BTBs...I think that line started ~Y2K-ish.

Do you have the serial number?

The Ibanez is actually the close-up of the maroon axe with the white pickguard on my Bandmix page. Well, it's now Lake Placid Blue in my collection picture. The green 5 string is my Raven West with a sick "Lizard Quilt" top. I've looked on Ibanez's website and their catalogs don't go back far enough. I also tried a vintage Ibanez website in Germany, and couldn't find it there either. Maybe it's a Frankenstein! It has Ibanez pickups and a vintage Ibanez bridge. You can tell by the fret wear that (at least) the neck is old. No serial number anywhere. I'm stumped. It's gonna look sharp when I'm done and it sounds pretty good too. Isn't there anybody out there that can help?? Somewhere down the low-down road someone must have seen something similar to this bass.

Fender

Ibanez

Carvin

Hartke

AKG

You're expensive or cheap.

It just depends on what you want and how painful it is. :D

By the way, how do I load pics on a thread?? Do I have to be a "Hall of Fame" member?

Surround a web based pic with [ img]webaddress[/ img] but drop the spaces. Just hit the "quote" button on any post with a pic to see an example.

Archived