Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another controller question

reidmc

I have an older Studiologic SL-880 controller than works great and has an okay, fully weighted 88-key hammer action. I'd like to find a lighter controller, but want fully-weighted hammer action. Lightest I've found is the Studiologic VMK-161 plus, which cuts my weight by 25% (44 lbs to 33). Fewer keys of course, which i might be able to live with, though the absence of zones (which makes no sense to me on any level) is problematic.

Any other options out there?

Reid

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm waiting on the release of the Studiologic Numa Nano, which I thought would be out in July but is still AWOL. It may have a good 88-key weighted action at around 25 lbs., but until real units start shipping it's anyone's guess.

Tim -

I did see the Nano on the Studiologic website, listed at 22 lbs (!), but my assumption is that is not a fully-weighted hammer action. (The other Numas are at 57 lbs.) I need something that at least tries to approximate an acoustic piano action.

Has anyone played a Nano at NAMM or another trade event?

reid

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

DB did at Musikmesse and reported he was impressed with the action. I've been waiting with baited breath for the first units to hit US shores ever since. I think the Studiologic web site describes the Nano as having a fully weighted action - but I could have misread (or misinterpreted) it due to excessive wishful thinking.

You know these new Studiologic controllers are in the same general price range as some of the DP/controllers. The Kawai MP5 is $1100, 45 lbs, fully weighted action, four zones, etc. The Roland RD300GX is $1495 (but can be had for less), 33 lbs, fully weighted (though lighter) action, three zones.

Busch.

Busch - I currently gig a Kawai MP4, and just use as a MIDI controller. It's nice the way the zones are set up on the MP4 (same as the MP5). But would love to have 25 lbs. rather than 45, if it's playable. Or maybe I'm just reaching the point of diminishing returns.

The NANO uses the TP/100LR Fatar action. Sounds interesting.

TP/100LR: Professional Digital Piano Keyboard.

Through the development of a new kinematic force-scheme, the research and development of techno-polymer materials, determines a major strength of the key and more precision in its response. The musician therefore obtains a better dynamic control of the action applied on the key and on the hammer (Hyper Dynamic System®). The new PCB design improves the signal contact, increasing the dynamic range and the new connection system is supplied (Fast Connection System®).

A special lock-in system (Support Block System®) allows to use the frame of the keybed as a support for mechanical parts, making easier the development of the final instrument.

Busch.

You know these new Studiologic controllers are in the same general price range as some of the DP/controllers. The Kawai MP5 is $1100, 45 lbs, fully weighted action, four zones, etc. The Roland RD300GX is $1495 (but can be had for less), 33 lbs, fully weighted (though lighter) action, three zones.

Busch.

The new studiologics don't have mappable performance controls like the VMK series.

If they added four zones to the VMKs, most would be happy.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will get in the queue to check out the NANO as well, though I am hoping that the engineering is better than the translation on that product description. The first sentence alone made my brain hurt.

Archived