Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do we have cables coming out of the back ... ?

Tusker

.... of our keyboards?

I know there are exceptions, like the Little Phatty, the Hartmann Neuron, etc. It seems, that while practical for making connections, this arrangement forces the keyboardist to either ...

- preside over a mound of spaghetti

- cover up the area around our instruments to preside over a mound of black.

Is there a technical reason? Or did they expect the keyboardist to turn sideways to the audience like a pianist.

What do you think? Do you have a preference?

Jerry

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the keys side would be inclined to get in the way and it would usually require more expense to mount them on the side. Most keyboards have the sides come off completely. They would require more wiring and be more difficult to assemble in the factory.

So I think it's a combination of "that's where they have always gone" and economy.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Plus on the end you cannot easily support them by tying them to or wrapping them round your stand. And for pedals it would certainly not work well. The cords wold inevitably end up round your ankle. There would have to be securing spots which would take up even more space on the end, which if you have a full complement of connectors is going to get awfully cramped.

What would be nice is if boards had cable management support on the back. Either builtin bars or clamps or else mounting points for same using standard rack screws.

The only thing worse than having them come out the back is having them come out the side.

Inevitably, they will come out the side of the instrument facing the audience ( I usually set up sideways ).

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Nice. Insightful comments everyone. Keep it coming. Are you happy with how the cables are typically provided for? Any particular arrangement you prefer?

It would be even nicer if power, MIDI, and audio could be carried by one cord.

+1

Here's what I'd like. Keep all the jacks wherever you want - back, side, whatever. But also provide an I/O module that aggregates/duplicates all power, input and output connections into a sturdy module that connects to the keyboard via a single 6' cable with a multipin connection. Make that a separately-purchasable option if you have to in order to recoup costs. But at least that way the working pro who is concerned about stage appearance/rats' nest can easily clean up the aesthetic without sacrificing any I/O.

Is that crazy? Or a stupid idea?

For studio use, the rear panel is the only place cables belong. Much easier to hide and as most equipment in a studio backs up to a wall it makes a lot of sense. Enough so that I'd consider a board with cables coming out the side a big negative in my purchase decision. I do have 1 rack mount piece of equipment with the AC power cord on the side. Fortunately I can't see it in the rack and it's otherwise perfect for my needs.

I have put some thought into this trying to invent the rig of the future that is quick and easy to set up yet still very complete. These are some of my ideas:

It is built around the idea of a main controller or two with a computer using something like the SKB Studio Flyer 4U (or something larger) which is made for a laptop and 4 rack units of gear. One of the rack units would be a combination computer interface, programmable digital mixer, and midi patchbay. That's right, all those functions in one single rack space unit. This unit has a wired remote control surface perhaps somewhat like the Novation Remote Zero which controls all digital mixer, soft instrument, and even midi patchbay functions. The keyboard controllers themselves plug into the remote control surface and receive their power through that unit.

Other spaces in the rack can be used for rack synths for those who still want to use legacy rack gear or simply want a safety net in case, well, you know...

I am still unsure about the sustain, volume/expression controllers unless they all were premounted on a flat board that uses one multi plug cable that could run to the rack unit or remote. I kind of like that idea as the pedals are locked down solid - don't slide around and are always in the same place which is always good.

So all that is down to basically just 2 cables.

Some of you may come up with some improvements over these ideas...

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Here's what I'd like. Keep all the jacks wherever you want - back, side, whatever. But also provide an I/O module that aggregates/duplicates all power, input and output connections into a sturdy module that connects to the keyboard via a single 6' cable with a multipin connection. Make that a separately-purchasable option if you have to in order to recoup costs. But at least that way the working pro who is concerned about stage appearance/rats' nest can easily clean up the aesthetic without sacrificing any I/O.

Is that crazy? Or a stupid idea?

Sounds like a Hammond cable...

Sounds like a Hammond cable...

The Hammond design is brilliant for a keyboard workstation, isn't it? ... apart from the poundage I mean. Beautiful case you can position sideways or facing the audience. No cable clutter. Unique self contained speaker system. Real time control of tone and volume. Two keyboards closely aligned. ...

What do you think?

What do you think?

Not impressed with it's EPs or APs.

Really bad horn sounds, too.

The horns are very cool, IMO. I mean, they spin. How cool is that?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What do you think?

Not impressed with it's EPs or APs.

Really bad horn sounds, too.

The horns are very cool, IMO. I mean, they spin. How cool is that?

Um, I had a trumpet player like that once. ;)

Yup USB would be cool too.

It would be even nicer if power, MIDI, and audio could be carried by one cord.
May I suggest USB.

That was what I was inferring, though USB would be too easy to accidently unplug, and could it carry enough power to run a keyboard? I would even settle for a traditional A/C cable and USB for everything else.

The problem with one cord carrying all is the same problem I have with HDMI in my movie room. It carries video, and sound from one location to another location in one cable very well. Not so good at carrying from one location to more than one other location.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Slightly OT: I once stopped in a small restaurant that advertised a "one-man-band" performing in the lounge. As I was waiting to be seated, I could hear a Billy Joel song being played and the piano cover was perfect. Sounded just as good a the original recording! As I entered the lounge I couldn't help but notice there were NO CABLES from the back of the M08 he was banging on. The guy was singing to a karaoke machine while pretending to play piano. :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of tonysounds: Hitting "play" does not constitute live performance!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived