Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

soundset strenghths and weaknesses

leavity

What are the main pluses and minuses, soundset-wise for the Korg M50 and the Kurzweil PC3 (actually the LE when it finally comes out)? Might the LE be worth waiting for over the available M50? The current PC361 being a bit too expensive, around $1900 street and heavy, around 30lbs. Want to play r and b horn sections, strings and a variety of synth parts.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know anything about the M50, but horns and guitars are the weak point of the PC3 series. also bear in mind that the LE will have less layers and effects so won't be able to cover all the sounds of the PC3 as deeply.

There is an add-on ROM board under development for the PC3, and I hope (but don't know) that brass and guitars will addressed there. Of course, that will come at extra cost.

The PC3 orchestral programs are wonderful, IMO. I'm quite happy with the orchestral brass, but they won't work for R&B.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I don't know anything about the M50, but horns and guitars are the weak point of the PC3 series. also bear in mind that the LE will have less layers and effects so won't be able to cover all the sounds of the PC3 as deeply.

There is an add-on ROM board under development for the PC3, and I hope (but don't know) that brass and guitars will addressed there. Of course, that will come at extra cost.

The PC3 orchestral program are wonderful, IMO. I'm quite happy with the orchestral brass, but they won't work for R&B.

Agreed. It's hard to say if the LE will be as mind-blowing sonically as the PC3. Probably not as much, because of less layers and lower effects power, which IMO is what makes the PC3 sound so good.

Like Mike said, the PC3's brass aren't its strong suit. But then again, keyboard brass always sucks IMO. The orchestral brass, however, is awesome as is the entire orchestral and string banks. Wide variety of synths are covered mostly using VA oscillators from Kurz's never released VA-1 synth. The problem with the LE is you probably don't have access to deep VAST programming, something crucial for getting the right synth sound for the right song. But like I said, there's a wide variety of classic and more wild sounding synths.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Luckily, the only two weaknesses of the PC3 series (guitars and related instruments, and pop vs. classical brass), are categories that I would not generally want to cover live on keys anyway. :-)

But for those who really do need to cover those categories, the marriage made in heaven would be a PC3(X) with a MOTIF-Rack XS (or even earlier ES model). Kurzweil's weaknesses are Yamaha's strengths.

I would never recommend Korg's mainline keyboards for any traditional sounds -- they are a great company, but excel at innovative sounds, synths, physical modeling, organ, pads, etc.

But having said that, some of their pop brass is usable/musical, and some of their strings as well -- in a pop context at least, which I guess is what interests you anyway?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived