Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many of you have gigged with Hammond chops?

Well I put a Ferro Fluid Hammond Driver in there for the horn with adapater plate and it fits wierd but is secure. That was the original problem. I am getting a crackling sound when I turn it up. Could be the amp someone said? The 430 Resistor? I am not really a tech myself so I have learn from other people. I can take Leslies apart and put them back together but can not trouble shoot real well.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live near him which is nice. I don't trust the other guys because everyone claims to be a tech nowadays it seems.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I live near him which is nice. I don't trust the other guys because everyone claims to be a tech nowadays it seems.
Indeed. I'm fortunate to have a real Hammond shop about 40 minutes from me. The tech grew up in the family biz working on the organs, then got his EE degree. You just can't fake that kind of experience.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah I missed him last night so maybe this weekend I will see him Moe. I am sure he can fix me up. One of the tires on the top motor stack looks messed up also.

noblevibes.com

These plans are not currently listed but if you scroll to the bottom I think u can still see a picture of the organ.

Link to M-3 chop

Interesting chop of an M. It doesn't make an allowance for an expression pedal but it looks cool.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Back in my youthful days in Lexington, KY there was a recording studio (LEMCO) that had a Hammond L in a B3 case just like the M3 "chop" pictured. I have a photo on the bulletin board above the desk where I am typing this of my old band in that studio and me playing the "BL". For years I though it was the only one of its type.

I will only get a chop if my living situation changes. I know one backline company that uses one but they have the logistics to move it and that is always a problem it seems. You really need the space and to be on a ground floor.

noblevibes.com

• 4 weeks later...

I ran across this ancient pic tonight of my first Hammond, a B-2, which was also my first chop. The legs were so rickety that they were falling off already when I got it.

Here it is in its first incarnation, before the custom case I built for it. This would have been about '72.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/slaughterhouse/Slaughterhouse_cc3.jpg

Moe

---

• 2 months later...
I ran across this ancient pic tonight of my first Hammond, a B-2, which was also my first chop. The legs were so rickety that they were falling off already when I got it.

Here it is in its first incarnation, before the custom case I built for it. This would have been about '72.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/slaughterhouse/Slaughterhouse_cc3.jpg

Damn! You just went up a notch in book, now your at notch 1 :D

Great pic bro! Great look! Quintessential rock look... I love it

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• 11 years later...

advance warning: Necrothread alert!

just now seeing this ancient thread which has great relevance for me and hopefully for a few others here.

Somewhere in the late seventies I did and Gigged with a CV chop! Of course there was no internet back then so I had to go to the Library of Congress to find Hammond schematics. Lord Have mercy, what was I thinking? but it worked a charm and oh what a discovery!

IMHO this chop was justified because this organ had been beat to death and was being held up by 2x4's and nine inch nails! What I did way back then was to make a stand out of a set of old Roll'r Karies by mounting 4 long 1x1's horizontally between the karies to support the remaining console from which I also separated the preamp assembly and both generators which ended up in their own separate cabinet attached by way of a long phone mult wire harness. I was a starving student back then and I did make a few bucks with that rig and I still have it in pieces soon to be resurrected with split generator outputs AND a "Winwood" split bass output. Yes, 2 generators with the second genny being the glorious chorus generator. Love Oh Love!

I gigged with a 4-piece chop. Upper manual, lower manual, tone generators, and base. Used big amphenol multipin connectors to attach the boxes with the manuals to the box with the tone generators.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When I was a teen my dad chopped an L-101, and had a friend who was a pipe fitter fashion a pipe stand that vaguely resembled what's on a Vox Continental. We covered it in Tolex, and it actually came out looking pretty good. Possessed with the powers of teenage strength, we found it fairly easy to move. It went up and down many a flight of stairs in the olden days before ADA.

Well, since this is an old thread -- I'll add some images of my old M3 Chop.

Old No7

Here it is while "in process" back at UMass (on left) -- We toted both Hammond Chops & Leslies to a few gigs...

Boy, was THAT fun! (Not...........)

ModYZru.jpg

The finished cabinet I made

ASnaBRR.jpg

Amp box I made, with Trek II percussion boost & reverb added (on top level)

byhga5K.jpg

The bass and Leslie pedals I made

TphYOkk.jpg

My Leslie 145 cabinet, with a 147 amp inside

oYo4S7g.jpg

I do miss playing that chop & Leslie at times -- but my Mojo 61 carries SO much easier!

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I briefly owned a Bill Beer chop. The percussion section was iffy at best and my Hammond tech refused to work on it. I took it out for a two nighter before selling it to a guy in Italy.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Guess I missed this thread the first time around, but I get another shot at it 12 years later. Gigged with a chop in the 90's. I was told it was a Model "A", and it has more balls than just about any Hammond I've heard. Think Steppenwolf. Had it serviced 3 or 4 times but n ever could get the swell pedal to function for any extended period. Finally gave up on it.

Could load and unload from my apartment by myself using a flat dolly. I wouldn't try that today but back then I had the strength and ambition.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've gigged with 2 different Hammonds over the years. Neither were actually chops per se, but both were designed similar to chops, so they kinda count: the Porta-B & the X-2. Still have the X-2. Sounds pretty sweet thru a Vent and does a decent Farfisa imitation when bypassing the Vent and kicking on the cheesy Vibrato.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The only Hammond I currently own is a chopped A-100 with a Trek ii preamp. The last time I gigged it was probably 20 yrs ago. It makes a glorious sound through a 142.

One of these days I'm going to get around to finding the right spot in the case for the reverb tank. Nah, I never really use 'verb anyway.