Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V-Piano: time to focus on speakers and cabinet now?

pold

Someone said "No digital piano will be able to re-create the feeling of the soundboard resonating from the strings of an acoustic piano". Since the V-piano is already such a great revolution in digital piano area, I wonder if at Roland they will take things even further by focusing on speakers and cabinets now, it would be beyond perfection! I don't think that a simple wooden platform like the ones in the "Roland Digital Grand series" can replace the resonance of a solid spruce soundboard and cast iron frame. So I wonder if somebody will come up with something new that can achieve the same goal. Is there any Roland engineer reading this thread?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My chainsaw is in the garage.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I love perfection and want to see a digital piano in concert halls instead of Steinway and Bosendorfer, and no tuning needed, hehe. I am sure people too often forget that at the end of the day in a digital piano the sound is still coming from the speakers, no matter how good the piano is. I saw this new idea of speakers with violin shape:

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/08/so...undefined#more

That's intriguing, and even if it's not a good idea for a digital piano because it might just be dampening the speakers, I think lots of things can be done to improve resonance with speakers and cabinets.

I love perfection and want to see a digital piano in concert halls instead of Steinway and Bosendorfer

That's not too different from saying "I love perfection and I want to see Chevrolet Camaros racing Formula One instead of Ferraris and McLarens..." :freak:

What's next; digital violins and cellos? MIDI wind controllers instead of real brass & reed instruments? :eek:

What's next; digital violins and cellos? MIDI wind controllers instead of real brass & reed instruments?

Actually, I'd like to see that!

The local high school all digital marching band in the next parade! :thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I love perfection and want to see a digital piano in concert halls instead of Steinway and Bosendorfer

That's not too different from saying "I love perfection and I want to see Chevrolet Camaros racing Formula One instead of Ferraris and McLarens..." :freak:

What's next; digital violins and cellos? MIDI wind controllers instead of real brass & reed instruments? :eek:

I hope we will never see any digital instrument replacing the acoustic ones as long as they sound inferior, it was just a wish, but if one day we see identical results I don't see anything wrong with using them. We don't know even if this will ever happen, and I'll be the first one to criticize crappy digital simulations.

what could be interesting (but still not as good as the real thing, just interesting) is something like a V-Piano that projects the digital waveforms against some kind of resonating soundboard.... a hybrid piano, where the hammer hitting the string is done digitally (to allow for all of the user controlled variability) but amplified acoustically. As models of things like a Rhodes and Wurlitzer, Clavinet & Harpsichord get developed, one could have acoustic hybrid versions of these things too from the same instrument.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

What's next; digital violins and cellos? MIDI wind controllers instead of real brass & reed instruments?

Actually, I'd like to see that!

Personally, I like the instruments those alien cats were playing in the bar scene in the first Star Wars movie.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My chainsaw is in the garage.

is it a Roland chainsaw ?

:D

Roland chainsaw - that would be a KC series amp?

:lol:

a 12" chainsaw or 15" Roland chainsaw ?

If you are going to damage your great keyboard sound, what would you choose ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Isn't that an old musician joke?

Q: What's the difference between a chainsaw and a KC-series keyboard amp?

A1: If your neighbor borrowed the chainsaw, you'd want it back.

A2: The Roland has a subwoofer out.

Larry.

Isn't that an old musician joke?

Q: What's the difference between a chainsaw and a KC-series keyboard amp?

A1: If your neighbor borrowed the chainsaw, you'd want it back.

A2: The Roland has a subwoofer out.

Larry.

thats funny :D

I forgot it had a sub out. How useful. Thats 1 selling point- use another speaker

[70's Songwriter]

Now Sven, you know there arent Camaro's in F1...there will be a Shumacher in Spain though..

Q: What's the difference between a chainsaw and a KC keyboard amp?

A: reverb

EQ - it works on the chainsaw...

A5: The chainsaw blends better in small group settings.

Pour gas in a chainsaw and you can use it. Pour gas in a KC and you can burn it...hmmmm
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Advantages of a chainsaw vs. a KC amp:

Portability: A chainsaw is more portable.

Practicality: A chainsaw can make kindling out of a KC amp.

Volume: On any Saturday afternoon, a chainsaw can drown out all the amplifiers at Guitar Center.

Versatility: A chainsaw can transform a V-Piano into a keytar. (now back on topic)

Volume: On any Saturday afternoon, a chainsaw can drown out all the amplifiers at Guitar Center.
Hmmm. I'm suddenly thinking what a chainsaw could do to the guitar players at GC

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Choose:

KC keyboard amp ?

or new job

http://imway2fat.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/smelly-armpits.jpg

[70's Songwriter]

Someone said "No digital piano will be able to re-create the feeling of the soundboard resonating from the strings of an acoustic piano". Since the V-piano is already such a great revolution in digital piano area, I wonder if at Roland they will take things even further by focusing on speakers and cabinets now, it would be beyond perfection! I don't think that a simple wooden platform like the ones in the "Roland Digital Grand series" can replace the resonance of a solid spruce soundboard and cast iron frame. So I wonder if somebody will come up with something new that can achieve the same goal. Is there any Roland engineer reading this thread?

Well - Kawai tried something similar, anyway...

http://www.kawai.de/ca91_en.htm

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Archived