Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did an EP entirely on the Nord Stage

wurly_dervish

We're a small line up, singer, drums, and myself on Synth Bass and Pianos. We did a four song EP entirely on the Stage that I'm fairly happy with. It's pretty sweet what technology is allowing us to do these days.

If you're interested, it's here:

www.myspace.com/backlitsf

And we also give away our tracks as hi-rez mp3's. Any Bay Area folks can catch us at the House of Shields this Saturday.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I should also note that we had a C7 (www.theannex.us) at our disposal, but the engineer picked the Stage over it. C7 would have sounded awesome, but it was easier just to stick with my presets, especially on a limited time budget.

I'm totally curious how you knew I had a motion sound amp.... actually I just got a Traynor K2 which is a kick back design. It's mono, which is less than flattering for the Stage's acoustics, so I've been playing the CP-80 samples instead. I needed the wattage for synth basses.

When I use Motion Sound I just put it on a little kick back stand. I use the Nord legs, which are nice for Taxi Cab transportation and look sexy on stage, though they're a little long winded in their setup.

The piano sounds really good. Makes the controversy over the stage piano that much more confusing! Nice work.

As a fellow Stage owner, it sounds to me pretty much as is.

The main problem with the Stage pianos is a lack of character and richness in the middle section of the keys, roughly in the tenor voice range.

If you listen to "Subtle Explosions" on the OP's page, the opening piano figure shows more prominence in the top notes which are above the middle C line, while the first three notes of the figure, which are below that mark. Of course, it may be that dynamically he's deliberately highlighting the top notes, but it just might be a perfect demonstration of the Stage's problems in that area of the keyboard.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The piano sounds really good. Makes the controversy over the stage piano that much more confusing! Nice work.

As a fellow Stage owner, it sounds to me pretty much as is.

The main problem with the Stage pianos is a lack of character and richness in the middle section of the keys, roughly in the tenor voice range.

If you listen to "Subtle Explosions" on the OP's page, the opening piano figure shows more prominence in the top notes which are above the middle C line, while the first three notes of the figure, which are below that mark. Of course, it may be that dynamically he's deliberately highlighting the top notes, but it just might be a perfect demonstration of the Stage's problems in that area of the keyboard.

I've always felt that the middle section of all Nord's APs sound like a plucked banjo.

Here for the gear.

I see what you mean. The fact that it was not apparent to me immediately makes me realize that in the mix it sits quite nicely. By itself I could see this being a bigger issue.

Moog man you've kind of distilled the dilemma of the Stage acoustic pianos. Inside a busy band it does sit well but in more exposed settings it's shortcomings are more apparent.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Thank you all for the kind words. As far as the pianos go, the decision to use the stage was largely logistical, that I've got presets set up with a piano on one side and a synth on the other, and that it would take some amount of precious studio time for me to learn how to do it otherwise (set a different synth on top of the real C7 or something like that.)

I actually don't disagree with the statement that the stage pianos could have a little more sonic girth. I usually bump them w/ about 2dB from the "low" setting on the EQ, which is stereo if you keep the drive at 0. That said, I generally like the samples, and they play nicely even with that f'in fatar action that I'd like to rip out and burn. I was previously playing Kawai's (mp9000, mp4) and their action is vastly superior. The mp9000 is also vastly heavier, though the mp4 was a nice package spare it's wurlitzer pianos.

Oh well, the whole package of the Nord is fantastic, I tweak more synths, get effected retro sounds more easily, just generally try more of the stuff I should be trying because I can bounce around the UI so easily. In a lot of ways, I'm non-plus'd that other manufacturers haven't caught on to this. I want a button for everything.

Archived