Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technique Tip - Arm position - September 2009 issue

CameronA

hello, first I would like to say that I love bass player magazine!

I have a question about the arm position, I am guilty of resting my forearm on the body of the bass half the time, so I decided to become aware of when I do it and stop. Ive noticed so far that when I am sitting my shoulder becomes sore after a while. Is this normal? Is this because my shoulder is not used to the new position and has to build up to it, or is it something bad?

I'm not complaining about it, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself in a bad way.

thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try to make sure you maintain good posture when you sit. Your playing position shouldn't differ too much between sitting and standing, IMO. It's too easy to sit with the bass and hunch over it. Don't.

Which shoulder becomes sore? What is the angle of your bass when playing. When sitting, is the bass hanging from the strap, or are you resting it on your leg? Watch videos on YouTube of good bassists and gleen from them what a "normal" position is. There is nothing wrong with your forearm touching the body.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Taking your arm off the bass will help as you have a say 7 - 10 lbs bass and a 10+ lbs arm hanging off a strap. That can get heavy.

My forearm is constantly on the body of my bass and it's never caused a problem. There's a difference between resting your arm there for a reference point and letting your arm hang there as dead weight. Don't let your arm weigh down the bass like b5pilot is talking about.

BTW, welcome to the forum. If you love BP Magazine, you'll also love this forum. But watch out - it has been known to become habit forming.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Here it is:

Bass Position Research

You will note the poll was rather well populated and so this is serious research.

Also, you have to relax the RH side of your body whatever position you use if you are tense then this will show up after a while as an ache. R e l a x.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived