Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I realized today, that I am not good

fingertalkin

I usually don't go for the self pity crap, but I am really not good at all at the bass guitar. Sure, I can learn songs and play them well, if they aren't uber difficult, but I can't come up with a good lick to save my life.

I play everyday. I don't have a practice routine though. I don't even know what to practice. I don't much care for slapping, and would rather not learn new techniques until I can play a cool riff over a drum beat.

I hate to say it, but do to my lack of ability and not knowing where to start, I am starting to lose interest.....and that sucks! :(

How do you sign a computer screen?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buy a book like The Inner Game of Music and start with a MIDI drum beat or something and start a groove of 1 note in some appropriate rhythm. Next add the 5th and groove with just those two notes. You can add more notes here and there if you want to but the whole point is to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) and learn to say what you want with the vocabulary you have...and then learn some new vocab as you go!

Well heck, I guess I suck too.

The big problem as you've said is you're in a rut and wallowing in self-pity at the moment. GET OVER IT!! ;)

What you're lacking is that spark that is going to get you fired up into wanting to learn. Believe me I understand because I've been doing the same ol' stuff for 30 years and I feel I haven't progressed at all to where I'd like to be. However I'm not going to let it stop me.

Here's some suggestions some of which I'm doing.

Listen to some music you normally don't listen to that might get you inspired. Take a solo or a groove somebody did and break it down. The more licks and patterns you can bank the more ideas you'll have. Try some new techniques. I've been trying for years to learn to slap. Although I'm still bad at it and I rarely ever use it at a gig it's still a springboard to a spark of an idea. I've even been messing with tapping at home just to do something different. Plug in a effect like a chorus pedal and noodle around. Sometimes just a fresh new tone can be inspiring. Practice with a drum machine.

Here's something I may be doing in the furure. Find some new people to jam with. Some fresh blood may spark new ideas. Take some lessons.

Or if you are content with the skill set you have then be the best you can be at that. I doubt that Duck dunn can slap and I think he's said that before, but damn if he isn't the best at what he can do.

Good luck and remember, what is good is subjective. I'm no victor Wooten but then again I'm better than a lot of other guys I've heard. If you look around You're probably not as bad as you think.

Then Again there's always Moot's suggestion.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Thanks everyone except Moot ;) I think the problem is that my band is imploding and we haven't played or practiced in over 6 weeks. I might start hitting up the open mic's that are happening around and throw myself to the wolves. I know a couple of the people that run them. We'll see.

I have been breaking down two solos lately. One is the one from Steve Miller Band's Sha ba da du etc. and the other is the solo from Rare Earth's Get Ready, the live 20 minute version. It is going okay.

Dude, welcome to the club. I constantly feel like that. I realised the other day that I have been playing for 7 years and I feel as if I know less songs every year. Which, for the past couple of years, may ring true.

Know what you should do? Record yourself. Seriously. I always have this crackpot idea that I was better when I started, but I have a VCD of the second rehearsal with my second band (I had been playing for 7 months) and it is hilarious to see myself at that stage.

I have a lot of instruction books and manuals, but hardly ever open them :( But since I bought the WAV, I have been using Todd Johnson's Walking Bass dvd's as a practice tool to learn to get around the neck. Perhaps you should get an upright ? Or a mandolin, a guitar or something else :thu:

Oh and if your band never gets together, that means you have ample time for a second band or open mics :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I'm going against the flow, take a break from the bass, say a week or two and do something else or do nothing at all.

When you come back to it, it will feel different and more intresting, I had to stop for a year when I first moved here, it did me good.

Sometimes one just need to find inspiration elsewhere.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I always suck right before I get better....

Self pity is ok in small doses... It is just a way of checking yourself.

Good advice has already been posted. Try something new... an open mic, etc or take a short break. All good. Or do nothing different and just let it pass... it will.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Welcome to the club, we meet here almost daily.

Concentrate on having fun. A lively run at Louie Louie can be more satisfying than a perfectly executed solo and can get you inspired to play more which in turn will make you better.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I'm just above the suck level. And if I ever want to feel bad about my playing I just have to record myself. That normally sorts me out!

Get a tutor, play another instrument, do some ear learning, try to improve your reading skills etc. There's many things you can do.

Learning the drums has shown me that self-teaching is more flawed than I ever thought.

On drums I started with 4 years of 1-to-1 lessons from a pro. Then I've moved onto internet lessons with a pro in Sacramento (sp?). I've read drum music from day 1 and so this is second nature for me and I'm constantly challenged to try different things and to improve my game.

On bass, this was my third instrument. Classically trained and so in principle I knew more than enough to get started. Started playing in bands after 6 months (aged 15-16) and then maybe after 4 years plateaued (sorry no such word). Improvement since has happened as a result of being inspired by other local musicians or being forced into learning something new etc. I have plenty of drive but can't face looking at bass instruction books. They bore me to tears. Now 32 years after starting bass and 5 years after starting drums, my drumming is inspired my bass playing nearly stagnant.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I'm going against the flow, take a break from the bass, say a week or two and do something else or do nothing at all.

When you come back to it, it will feel different and more intresting, I had to stop for a year when I first moved here, it did me good.

Bingo.

I have done this twice and both times I came back with a greater ability to learn and improvise. I dunno why it work like dat but it do.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

One thing about realizing you suck is that it IS fixable, and realizing you suck is the first step to fixing it. Get some lessons, buy a new exercise book, or maybe even practice (Whoa yeah, hard core, I know, but sometimes desperate measures are called for!) and you too can become a lean mean bass machine in just a few years of obsessive/compulsive woodshedding!

Actually, it really shouldn't take that long to notice a lot of improvement. But lots of fingers-on-the-neck time is required if you want to get better.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Thanks again for the advice everyone....even Moot!

After pondering this over the last few days I think it comes down to the point that I like playing with people. I don't like turning on songs and learning them, to an extent. If I know I am preparing for a gig or practice than I am excited and love playing. On occasion, I even try to learn some theory and play through some arp. and modes and stuff, which leads me to another question for another thread.

On a good note, I am auditioning for another band next Friday. They are the remnants of a very good regional originals band. I am going to have to step up my game a bit to hang with them. The material is not overly complex, but they have been at it for their whole lives, while I have been in it for 4 years.

I am excited all over again.

Bingo.

I have done this twice and both times I came back with a greater ability to learn and improvise. I dunno why it work like dat but it do.

...and once he does it 10 more times he'll be able to play songs!

Bingo.

...and once he does it 10 more times he'll be able to play songs!

:laugh:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Take a song you already know and alter just the timing of the notes. It's a quick cheap way to write that get's me thinking outside the box.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

It sounds as though yer a relatively new player (you mention that you don't know what to practice.

I'd suggest that you reconsiter what attracted you to playing in the first place. Try to keep that inclination going.

As to practicing there's a wide range of approaches & goals we can have as musicians, many with equal validity, but an inescapable fact is that some manner of practice is (1) what will allow you to advance & (2) prevent boredom.

On the other hand some cats are perfectly happy---& even successful---doing the same stuff forever.

d=halfnote

On a good note, I am auditioning for another band next Friday. They are the remnants of a very good regional originals band. I am going to have to step up my game a bit to hang with them. The material is not overly complex, but they have been at it for their whole lives, while I have been in it for 4 years.

I am excited all over again.

Hey, I was going to suggest finding another band.

The band I play in was going through a slow patch where everyone else was busy doing other things. They kept saying they wanted to do gigs, but when the offers came in, they were busy doing other things.

Anyway I picked up a card in a music shop, made aphone call and met up with some guys looking for a bass player. Now I play in two bands, have a shed load of new tunes to learn and are more motivated.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived