Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey PR 15

StanC

Hi Guys:

I am considering replacing my 2 Yamaha SR115's (61 lbs. ea.) with 2 Peavey PR-15's (31 lbs. ea.). The reason of course, is to shed 60 lbs of gear. But will I be sacrificing quality of sound? Typically, I use the pair of Yamahas only as stage monitors and send a signal from my mixer to the mains out front. Any comments/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find a Sensitivity rating for the PR-15's. They have a 400/800 watt spec on Peavey's website, the Yamaha's have a higher wattage spec and a 98db Sensitivity rating. The Yamaha's have a wooden cabinet, which usually handle the bass response better than plastic cabinets. The Peavey specs don't say there is a Black Widow speaker in the PR-15, so its probably something less powerful than the speakers in the Yamaha cabinets.

I think you are splitting hairs here, but the Yamaha's probably would sound a little better than the Peaveys you're looking at. If you play at a low volume you might get by with the Peaveys. Peavey does make higher quality cabinets if you want to step up, but then you won't be saving weight.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike:

Thanks for the reply! I seriously doubt there would be Black Widows in the PR 15's. I can't imagine the cabs would be only 31 lbs. Hell a 15" Black Widow alone probably weighs 25, no? My SR115's don't have them either. You make a good point on the bass response from plastic vs. wood. But I may just take advantage of GC's 30 day return policy!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

No harm in giving them a try. If you're only using them for stage monitors at a fair volume, they might work for you.

I have a set of Peavey SP2's I bought about 3 years ago. I auditioned them at a dealer that sells both Peavey and Yamaha. I A-B'ed them against the Yamaha Club Series. The SP2's are substantially "better" IMO, so I went with the SP2's. Reason? They can handle more power and are slightly larger, not to mention the Black Widow bass speaker. 71 lbs. That I can handle for my gigs. But my application is different than yours.

For stage monitors I doubt you need to carry big, heavy speakers. Your back will love you for it!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

IMO, sound quality will not be sacrificed going from the SR115s to Peavey PR15. The plastic boxes are engineered pretty good nowadays. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well as I said in a previous post, I think I will take advantage of GC's return policy and try them out. I was also thinking that perhaps they are lined with an insulator or something to improve bass response.

Stan

Archived