Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TOP Down To The Nightclub

davio

The next gig with the funk band is coming up in just under 2 weeks and there's a new list of songs I have to learn ASAP. Down To The Nighclub is a pretty straightforward tune for the most part but I'm beating my head against a wall because I can't make out what he's doing in the bridge when it modulates up to F for a couple bars (about 1:50 into the song). Can anybody help?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the bit you're wondering about in the bridge?

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/Nightclub.JPG

This is how I played it - which I lifted from the way he does it in the "Soul Vaccination" live recording. It's hard to hear what he's doing exactly on that original recording in this part.

This is how I played it - which I lifted from the way he does it in the "Soul Vaccination" live recording. It's hard to hear what he's doing exactly on that original recording in this part.

That doesn't sound like his part on the original (sounds like he played more in the upper octave) but if it was good enough for Rocco to play live, I'll take it. Mad props, my man.

Yeah. It sounds like he's playing in the upper register more in the original to me as well. It's just really hard/impossible to hear it amongst all the other funkified goodness that's going on.

If it makes you feel any better he's played it like I posted above (or extremely similar) every time I've seen them live. Which is probably getting close to double digits now. Dig.

Archived