Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

advice on hard/ATA/custom keyboard cases

ewhirsh

I'm realising we probably shouldn't be obfuscating the issue with rack cases, and apologise for contributing to that confusions. :-)

The needs for racking gear and carrying keyboards and/or guitars/basses are a bit different, so it probably isn't fair to draw conclusiions from one and apply to the other.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everybody, I have two odd sized keyboards and need to upgrade cases for each. As we all know, the Yamaha S90ES is a little long and makes you have to buy the Gator GK-288, which I've had nothing but trouble with (bent seal, broken latches and handles). Then there's the Nord Stage EX Compact (just upgraded from the Electro 2 73, anyone interested in buying?) for which my Clavia gig bag no longer zippers shut.

I'd love to enter the world of simple but durable ATA cases but I have no idea where to start. Which are your favorite companies to work with on this front? I'm not a super road warrior and don't need the super heavy super durable stuff. But custom size (not bigger than necessary), handles, and casters would be great. As would not breaking the bank.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Eric

My suggestion: if you are not moving your gear in a large truck with other gear that is bashing against it that is also in ATA cases, you don't really need an ATA case. It is wasted money, in spite of the cool factor. If you are moving your rig in your car, a new zippered bag might be just the ticket. If you need a little more protection, a padded bag might work. For more heavy duty protection, there is a series of light-weight cases made form either fiber board (like drum trap cases) or plastic and foam with light-weight corners and usually fiber straps instead of hinges that are inexpensive, lightweight, and perfect for carrying around locally.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have two of the Long Island/New York cases from this vendor on eBay. One's for my JP-8000 and the other's a pedal case. I did put more foam into the JP's case once I got it. I'd agree with Moodyblueskeys about a "real" heavy board, but I'd have no qualms of getting one for my 2661 if I didn't already have a case for it.

Both cases have faired well in the 2+ years I've had them. Between rehearsals and gigs I'm moving my rig 3 times a week. They may seem somewhat flimsy with the 1/4 plywood, but they're more then sturdy enough moving from house to van to club/event to house, and WAY more protection then a "soft case". I wouldn't use a bag on any board.

That's just my experience...your mileage may vary.

"May you stay...forever young."

It's customary for forum veterans to give newbies flack for not searching for previous threads that answer their questions. In fact, that's probably somewhere in the Ten Commandments of Forum-ing, no?

Maybe.

I was just doing it 'cause your my neighbor. Neighborly love and all that. :D

Hopefully, I can get a chance to hear you play before long, Eric.

Like I said, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of ummm, characters here from NC. I'm sure you'll in well. :)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The earlier post about the King Kong company is the custom case builder I've used for 10+ years as they are in my neck of the woods and I've known the owner Buz for years. They do good work and the price is fair for the extremely high quality. I am a fan of Anvil style flight cases and I did have a bout of bad luck with the 2 SKB cases I've owned (rivets split out of the wheels within 1-2 months, leaving big holes that would not accept a re-rivet attempt).

I mainly move my own gear (though I do some van/trailer touring a few times a year) but all my gear is typically packed tightly with other band members' gear. I only trust the heavy cases to protect my gear (vs. gig bags).

I have a good photo online of my flight cases for the S90 and Nord Electro. I'll try to dig it up and post it here.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Regards,

Eric

ewhirsh,

Yamaha has a case for the Motif keyboard. (I believe it also fits an S90, etc.) It's a good case, and doesn't cost anymore than Gator. The case is a lot like an SKB, except it is designed to fit an XS8 exactly--foam all around. The latches fit well. The only problem I have heard happening is that the weight of an XS8 can cause the axles of the wheels to bend slightly if the case is dropped hard on the wheels. (This problem is also common to SKB and Gator cases, too.)

Nord sells an ATA type (RED) case for the Stage88 that is built very solidly. It was not expensive (from GC). Its problem: it's a heavy case, in comparison to SKB or Gator type cases.

If you're not going to have other people (ie., airlines) moving your equipment, I don't see the need for ATA cases-- too much weight.

If you're not going to have other people (ie., airlines) moving your equipment, I don't see the need for ATA cases-- too much weight.

The opposite is true, because they don't know what is in the box and do not care much. Have you watched the video about the fellow who's guitar was being thrown around the runway by the baggage handlers? I got a video projector that was IN an ATA case on wheels, arrived with fork lift fork holes through one side of the case and the projector shattered.... it had obviously been pierced with the forks, lifted up into the air, and then fallen off of the forks. I watched a UPS guy put a Tascam reel to reel tape deck on the edge of his truck, and I watched it fall off. No one will care for your gear like you, you are the least likely to need an ATA flight case if you are moving your own gear in your own car.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Hopefully, I can get a chance to hear you play before long, Eric.

Like I said, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of ummm, characters here from NC. I'm sure you'll in well. :)

Tom

Well, here's me the jazzy compose-y artist guy

Eric Hirsh

Here's my hip hop group, we're at a studio this week mixing our first full length, it's such a gratifying experience, I can't wait to post the results.

The Beast

And here is the salsa orchestra that I direct, arrange, and play piano for:

Orquesta GarDel

I hope you enjoy!

Eric H (i suppose i should differentiate from the various other erics)

CP4, Stage EX 73, Ableton

Me The Beast Orquesta GarDel

by Eric:

The earlier post about the King Kong company is the custom case builder I've used for 10+ years as they are in my neck of the woods and I've known the owner Buz for years. They do good work and the price is fair for the extremely high quality. I am a fan of Anvil style flight cases and I did have a bout of bad luck with the 2 SKB cases I've owned (rivets split out of the wheels within 1-2 months, leaving big holes that would not accept a re-rivet attempt).

Oh, OK. That explains the reasons the prices seemed high. Those cases are just about bomb proof! :cry: I stand corrected, those cases are worth the investment if you are planning on keeping your current boards for any length of time.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You pretty much cannot make one for what one costs to buy new. Its not worth it.

And I've had the same SKB problems, their cases do protect the gear well, but the hardware? you just cannot secure things easily to that plastic.

One other suggestion, which I followed for my guitars after getting tired of hauling those individual road cases around... get a keyboard trunk. In the case of the guitars, it was easy to have a big box on wheels made to handle the guitars in their original cases, each with its own slot. That way I could grab the guitar, case and all, out of the trunk if I needed to do a car move where the original case was enough protection; but I had the flight case for truck moves. It is cheaper that way, too, than having a bunch of individual ATAs made for each of your keys, if you have more than two. Then you can have bags for each keyboard for car moves, and have the ATA protection for truck moves or flights. I've seen a lot of keyboard cases made like this, and others made like vertical tool boxes with big double swinging doors, open the doors and the inside of the case looks like padded bookshelves, one keyboard to a shelf.

Steve Martin

But I personally feel the higher-end Gator cases are slightly better made than the higher-end SKB cases, in terms of latch quality and joints, which are the main stress points.

I get this sense as well, but I've bought SKB rack cases over Gator for one simple reason: Gator has the ugliest logo in the industry!

If only they would change that logo (especially the over-sized version of it that they put on the side of their keyboard cases), I gotta believe that Gator would move even more product.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/noah822/GK-Lightweight-Closed-nb.jpg

Ugh. :sick:

Noah

Noah,

Otherwise, that to me looks like the perfect case for the local gigging musician, certainly a lot more car-friendly than an ATA case.

Steve Martin

I just bought a Gator case for my Casio WK-200. I bought their cheapest 76-key case without wheels - $90.

I bought the Casio simply for its portability. There are times when I'm hanging around guys who play acoustic guitar. :blush:

Yeah. You know the type. :rolleyes:

I wanted a portable instrument - 'cause those guys will walk over to the bar and play, then to somebody's back yard, then get on a boat and play out on the lake. The Casio has batteries, internal speakers, and a 76-note velocity-sensitive keyboard. For $200 itza no-brainer.

Oh, and there was no stupid ugly Gator logo like this one on my case.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/120/GKB76-medium.jpg

Itza beauteeful thang. :thu:

(And why pay more for a case than you paid for the keyboard, huh?)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Noah,

Otherwise, that to me looks like the perfect case for the local gigging musician, certainly a lot more car-friendly than an ATA case.

Exactly, which is why the big stupid ugly Gator logo drives me so gosh darn crazy.

That ugly Gator logo only shows up on certain types of vinyl bags that they make, thankfully.

Speaking of ugly logos, I think the worst one out there is Taco Bell's. Absolutely hideous beyond belief. I guess the point is to make it stick out from a distance, as that might have been a bit of an issue with their earlier yellow bell.

The Gator bags have fewer calories.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As far as cosmetics, if a company builds a great product, how important is the logo? If its priced competitively too, then we should be able to suck up the crappy artwork and buy it.

Mike T.

P.S. Taco Bell's logo IS pretty lame!

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

...which is why the big stupid ugly Gator logo drives me so gosh darn crazy.

Folks,

When did Noah turn into Ward Cleaver? :sick:

http://www.geocities.com/alcus2/beaverhere4.jpeg

(Jus' messin' witya, Noah... Neighborly Love and all that.) :D

Tom

For my situation, I'm sold on the hard shell cases so I had Anvil/Calzone make me a case for my S90ES a few years back. IIRC they used a special polymer instead of plywood for the sides so that it is much lighter. It's been great so far and seems like it will last forever.

If you own and SKB stuff you will need to get a Rivet gun and learn to use it. Not a big deal.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Not worth it? Huh. Generate your BOM and I'll show mine and then let's compare. :wave:

I was going to play, but I went to Penn Fab and they don't have a price list posted. So I can't give accurate pricing, but I can guess at a few things.

If you figure a 40 to 48 inch keyboard case by 20 or so inches by 4 or 5 inches deep, you can get a case from a sheet of 4x8 plywood. Fair enough, $20-$25, unless you use luan (which i like because of its dimensional stability and because it tools much better than regular plywood) which is a few bucks cheaper. You could paint the lumber to protect it using an epoxy paint, which would be cheaper than laminate or aluminum sheet goods, but would still be in the $15-$25 price range.

Standard ATA ball corners, you need four, at a buck or two each. Extrustion? You need about 16 feet of L or double L, but it comes in 12 foot lengths so you're stuck buying 24 feet. Various prices based upon the quality you pick. You need another 8 of tongue and 8 of groove for the lid. You need 3 handles, at about $8-10 bucks each. And foam padding. And a hinge. 2 wheels wouldn't hurt, but lets skip that.

So without the extrusion, padding, or hinge, we're between $60-$80. Now, the Gator case is about $115, and you don't have to do anything, and you've got light, portable, car-friendly protection for your keyboard. If you build a case, you've got a heavy, kinda brutal box that will protect your keyboard better, but will probably trash your vehicle.

Now, I have access to wood shops, so I can throw a sheet of 4x8 on a big table saw with an 8x8 outfeed table and cut a straight line, but not many people have access to those tools. I also have access to the air tools and spray glue setups to make the job go easier and quicker. But when I priced parts for the last three rack cases that I got, I ended up buying them pre-made (one on ebay) because the price for parts was so close to the price of exactly what I wanted, finished and shipped to my door.

Also, craigslist has been filled with cases lately. Used cases are generally a very good deal if you need the protection of an ATA flight case.

Anyone looking for a new cae, there is no shortage of case companies all cutting each others throats for the business. My favorite is Get Off Of My Case... they have a cool snakeskin laminate option that guitar players love.

Steve Martin

I received TWO wheels (I only busted one.) and screws to replace the wheels, plus more screws to replace the rivets on the handle last night from SKB.

Now I've got to figure out how to remove the rivets without tearing up the foam inside the case. I'll use the drill, as BoodyMluzeKeys described above, of course. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to take my time and see how it goes.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks,

Tom

The other thing about building your own cases come to mind; what is the best use of your TIME? And as Bill just mentioned above, not everyone has access to the equipment you need to put together a case, let alone the ability to do it. Both elements of the last sentence apply to me.

Anyway, its a lot more FUN to call up case mfg and beat them up on price until you get the case you need at a price you are willing to pay. In the mean time, I have more time to practice music and no splinters.

Cheers, its Friday!

Mike T.

Well, some of us like to make things so that itself is a good usage of time.

I enjoy it, you might not.

As always, YMMV.

I do enjoy making stuff, and I'm kinda handy. So I know what you mean. For most of my work stuff though, I'd just as soon let a pro do it, and spend my time making the money to pay him. My latest project, besides a new kitchen and some outdoor yardwork, has been coathanger digital antennas for my friends who what to run out and buy fancy ones. I'll do the wiring and stuff, but real ATA cases benefit from being built in real shops.... if nothing else, they end up square.

Steve Martin

OK, I drilled out the rivets and replaced the wheel on my SKB case using screws with washers and lock nuts SKB supplied.

The rivets that hold the handle were coming loose, so I replaced those too.

Not a big deal, but I need to get some glue at the hardware store to adhere the foam back inside the case.

Does anyone have a favorite glue you can recommend for sticking foam to the inside of a SKB case?

Thanks,

Tom

Archived