Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help Identifying Instrument in an Eddy Raven Song

loumi

I recently heard an old (1988) country song by Eddy Raven called "I'm Gonna Get You" and I was wondering what the accordion sounding instrument on it is. Is it actually an accordion? Somehow it sounds brighter than the accordions I have heard. Anybody know? I realize this goes back quite a ways.

Lou

---------------

To B-3 or not to B-3, that is the question.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I did the legwork and found a brief snippet on AllMusic.com; a quick Google search shows that the song features Jo-El Sonnier, a world-famous country/Cajun style accordionist. It's definitely accordion, but it's a diatonic Cajun-style accordion:

http://www.jo-elsonnier.com/gallery/c-Jo-EL_BranscombeNewYearsEve.jpg

As always, Google is your friend. :thu:

Yes, good work indeed! I actually did try searching google for instruments played in the song, then I tried YouTube to see if there might be any video, but did not locate anything. I just knew if I posted here, someone would know or be able to find something. Thanks Sven, awesome pic too! Looks like a Korg (something, Triton?) on top of the venerable B-3 on the right of the picture.

---------------

"Cookin' Cajun" on Allmusic

My first thought was that it was something from the songwriter. Dennis Linde is famous for his demos which frequently have sounds that session musicians struggle to recreate on the records. But Sven is right in this case (click for credits). It's gotta be Joel (who also has a history of making things "interesting" for session players.

Don't rush me. I'm playing as slowly as I can!

www.stevenathanmusic.com

https://apple.co/2EGpYXK

Thanks Steve, I KNEW you would have something to say here. When you say "interesting" above, I assume you mean in a challenging, maybe not always positive, way?

Great site BTW guys, thanks. I had not heard of it before now.

Lou

---------------

Archived