Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bought a Martin

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahhaahh! Not what one immediately pictures at the words "bought a Martin"! Cool, though; how d'ya like it so far? What's it good for, and not as good for?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Very awesome looking!!!

That is so not a guitar I would see you choosing...especially with your understanding and love of finely crafted boutique acoustic guitars, exotic woods etc etc.

Composite body, aluminum top.....I just know this sucker must have jumped out at you in some way.

So what is it about this one that made you have to have it? It looks extremely cool, the Bigsby on the acoustic body is a way cool idea....... but it would have to go way beyond looks for your refined and traditional taste.... so I am intrigued to know more about this one.

Man the more I look at it the awesomer it gets!!! ( just made that word up...I get the credit for further use of it...if any. )

The aluminum is rad and the cutout logo in the soundhole is friggen great!!

Does it have a good acoustic sound? How is the pickup..the amplified sound? Is there any hint of resonator type sound in there?

I was at the Martin booth the year that this guitar was introduced at NAMM, and I liked it then. I even got my picture taken holding it up, and used that picture in my NAMM article for that year. Occasionally I look for one.... there are a handful of guitars that every now and again I'll try to find at an affordable price. I was really looking for that puke purple Martin Es-styled 2 pickup electric from the 1960s, when I stumbled across this for what I thought was a reasonable price.

I've been going to a regular jam with these guys who are non-pro players, and I've been having a great deal of fun. It is basically an acoustic gig, though sometimes a hollowbodied electric (like, one fellow has a nice old non-cutaway Gibson 125) will show up, or an electric bass. So this guitar is going to get a lot of use with that group of guys... it is small, light, easy to carry, and can plug in when needed.

I really never plugged in the demo model. As it is a double 0 sized guitar, it has a nice balance of tone. Being a composite guitar it has a different sound. As I got rid of my Gibson J-160e, the only 2 acoustics I have now all have that 'big' sound, and I wanted something a little more laid back.

Someone up the street was selling a Seagull 12 string for $50, but I missed it. Not that I need another guitar... I'm trying to have fewer, not more. But it is possible that I could round the collection out and take a wider variety of instruments into retirement with me. Like, I've decided to get rid of all the Les Pauls and the Strat, the Melodymaker, and the Silvertone/Dano.

That leaves me with the bass, the 336, Firebird XII, Pellow, the Gretsch Tennessean that I just picked up, that odd Martin, the Santa Cruz, and an old Washburn that I've had since 1980 and upon which I have written most of the songs that I've written since 1980. I can't believe how many guitars and amps I have gotten rid of since I left the studio! And the Pellow fills the sound vibe of all the Les Pauls and Strat, the 336 has the P-90 thing going on, so I will not miss those classic instruments.

I'm also going to get rid of the amps, down to two. Probably the Goblin and a bass amp I'm getting later today... a '67 Vox Kensington. That was a hard decision, as I'm very fond of the THD. But I'm thinking space as well as sound, and likely I'll just be using Vandal in the future anyway. I'm not by nature inclined to give up any sound quality, but I'm trying to be practical.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I was at the Martin booth the year that this guitar was introduced at NAMM, and I liked it then. I even got my picture taken holding it up, and used that picture in my NAMM article for that year.

When I first saw the pics at the other end of the link you put up above, I did recall your posting here about that guitar quite a while ago; but it wasn't what I had pictured as I read your initial post here, not at all! :D

Occasionally I look for one.... there are a handful of guitars that every now and again I'll try to find at an affordable price. I was really looking for that puke purple Martin Es-styled 2 pickup electric from the 1960s, when I stumbled across this...

Hah! From a vintage purple people eater, to a Martin machined in Roswell... :thu::cool:

I really never plugged in the demo model. As it is a double 0 sized guitar, it has a nice balance of tone. Being a composite guitar it has a different sound.

Is that the "acoustic" sound of it, or the plugged-in, "electric" sound? (Do you have the guitar now, or are you awaiting its arrival via shipping?)

...Not that I need another guitar... I'm trying to have fewer, not more. But it is possible that I could round the collection out and take a wider variety of instruments into retirement with me. Like, I've decided to get rid of all the Les Pauls and the Strat, the Melodymaker, and the Silvertone/Dano.

That leaves me with the bass, the 336, Firebird XII, Pellow, the Gretsch Tennessean that I just picked up, that odd Martin, the Santa Cruz, and an old Washburn that I've had since 1980 and upon which I have written most of the songs that I've written since 1980. I can't believe how many guitars and amps I have gotten rid of since I left the studio! And the Pellow fills the sound vibe of all the Les Pauls and Strat, the 336 has the P-90 thing going on, so I will not miss those classic instruments.

I'm also going to get rid of the amps, down to two. Probably the Goblin and a bass amp I'm getting later today... a '67 Vox Kensington. That was a hard decision, as I'm very fond of the THD. But I'm thinking space as well as sound, and likely I'll just be using Vandal in the future anyway. I'm not by nature inclined to give up any sound quality, but I'm trying to be practical.

You're certainly going through some changes there, aren't you, Bill?

Wow!

Welcome to the composite-material, different sound world, Bill.

Ever consider mandolin for your acoustic jam?

There is often a mandolin player and at least one acoustic bass player, sometimes a standup. It is a cool bunch of guys who aren't judgemental and who will make room for everyone. One fellow brings his son who plays bass, and he is treated like everyone else. I'm glad to have been invited, they are good people.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I''m sorry, man, but that is the homliest Martin I have ever seen. It's even uglier than the sunburst dreadnaught Martin a friend of mine owns, and that is the worst excuse for a finish I ever saw. Matter of taste I guess. More power to you on it, you won't find me stealing it...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

That is almost the beauty of it. It's not trying to be anything other than unusual.

agreed with one addition... it is unusual with the Martin name attached. Not Sigma, or Squire, or Applause, but actually the name of the flagship product line... which means that one can expect a certain level of both quality and sound. And from what I remember, the quality of the build was excellent, and the sound (as much as one can tell on a show floor) was very nice. If it sounded bad, it would not have mattered to me how cool it looked.

Anyway, awaiting its arrival. It probably won't ship until mid-week at best, but from New York to here is only a couple of days, even by horse drawn carriage.

Steve Martin

Looks cool! Isn't there an old pic of you holding one or something very similar at a Namm show?

absolutely. wanted that guitar since I saw it at that show.

Steve Martin

One thing is certain... it will always cause comment. And if I am competent when I play it, people will be impressed, and if I suck, they are going to laugh. Double-edged sword. Fortunately for me, they more often than not likre what I play.... but not always!

Steve Martin

Small update on this: I contacted Customer Support about the new bridge and possibility of getting the CFM soundhole cover. It took a couple of days to get them to understand that I was talking about a particularly unique Martin and that no, standard wooden parts would not work for me, but once the rep understood what I was talking about, she found one of those CFM thingies for me (which I thought would be impossible...) and the bridge, and popped it into the mail for me today. Needless to say, I'm happy and impressed with their support.

Now if only the guitar would get here....

Steve Martin

Small update on this: I contacted Customer Support about the new bridge and possibility of getting the CFM soundhole cover. It took a couple of days to get them to understand that I was talking about a particularly unique Martin and that no, standard wooden parts would not work for me, but once the rep understood what I was talking about, she found one of those CFM thingies for me (which I thought would be impossible...) and the bridge, and popped it into the mail for me today. Needless to say, I'm happy and impressed with their support.

Now if only the guitar would get here....

Gibson could take a lesson here...

Well, I've gotten minorly hosed. The seller returned my money with the 'someone broke into my car...' story. I'm in no position to dispute that, it certainly could have happened. It is just a common excuse presented on ebay when someone privately contacts the seller and offers more money. Since it took a week from the time I won the bid to the time the seller contacted me to tell me of his misfortune... well, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

No big loss..... I've got some parts coming from Martin which cost me a few bucks, and I'll have to eat. And I was really looking forward to bringing this guitar to a relatively purist acoustic jam... I so wanted to see their faces when presented with an aluminum and carbon fiber guitar with "Martin" on the headstock.... I was envisioning coronaries....

But if I'm lucky, I'll find another one sometime. It was a lark anyway... we all know that I don't NEED another guitar!

Steve Martin

"...I've got some parts coming from Martin which cost me a few bucks, and I'll have to eat..."

Spare parts for the next and better one you land, Bill. Spare parts for the next one. :thu:

Well, I saw where one just closed on ebay uk, unsold at 99 pounds plus 15 shipping. I've sent an email to the seller. Maybe I'll make a deal.. Maybe I'll need a UK intermediary to help... if one volunteers.

Steve Martin

Well, that didn't work out either. He wants more for it than they cost new, then I'd have to get it shipped and pay duties.

Steve Martin

Archived