Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia

Dana.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no MIDI OUT jack on the PX-130 and PX-150, so no matter how impressive the key action is, and no matter how nice the acoustic piano sound is, I cannot use either of these as my new keyboard. I have enough custom performances with multiple part splits set up in my XV-5050 synth module that I will never be able to get away from a solution that does not either replace it or work with it.

I don't see why the Privia keyboards can't have both a MIDI OUT *and* a USB out. My 6 year old M-audio MIDI controller (which I need to replace) has both. Sigh.

I don't see why the Privia keyboards can't have both a MIDI OUT *and* a USB out. My 6 year old M-audio MIDI controller (which I need to replace) has both. Sigh.

The PX-350 (and PX-330) both have USB and MIDI outs.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have a PX-330 and love it. It has very good AP's that can work even solo, exellent feel, and it's a decent multi-timbral controller. The onboard speakers are a huge plus that I wish would be incorporated into the PX3 series, which I do feel has better (and faster) action than the PX-330.

I'm looking to get either a Behringer FCB1010 or a Midi Mate for the PX-330 to help rapidly change patches for external modules on-the-fly.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

They must have made great improvement because the Privia PX-120 I am occasionally forced to suffer with is pretty awful!

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Question for Mike Martin....What is the difference between the PX3 (which I purchased last year) and the newest digital pianos announced by Casio? Are there major differences in the APs? Other sounds? Has the PX3 been replaced in capability and function by one of the newer models ( in other words, the PX3 was for stage use.. .no internal speakers, great midi, splits, layers).

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Bob,

The PX-3 remains the only stage piano / controller keyboard in the line. The PX-3 as you know has 4 zones controller capabilities which work well with external MIDI devices.

There is not a PX-3 replacement in the new lineup. The new models all of speakers...and none of them are designed to be a controller. The piano sounds in the new models are all new along with the action.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike,

Good to know. Glad the PX3 hasn't been replaced by something better so soon after my purchase. I am not exploiting all the midi capabilities but it is great to know they are there. The action, patches, and the splits/layers capability make it a really versatile instrument. I love mine.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Mike,

Good to know. Glad the PX3 hasn't been replaced by something better so soon after my purchase. I am not exploiting all the midi capabilities but it is great to know they are there. The action, patches, and the splits/layers capability make it a really versatile instrument. I love mine.

Ditto on that! I also use a PX330. I prefer a couple of the Electric Pianos on the 330 as an alternative to the ones on the PX3. Is there a way to get some of the PX330 EP tones on the PX3? I suppose I could set them up side by side and edit the PX3 until I got close. I'm just afraid I'd be unsuccessful and get all frustrated. :mad:

I prefer a couple of the Electric Pianos on the 330 as an alternative to the ones on the PX3.

And I felt just the opposite. Just goes to show you can't please everyone when it comes to these things...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thank you for that information; I had missed the fact that the PX-330 has both outputs. As a funny coincidence, I saw my friend's PX-330 at a rehearsal on Thursday night, and noticed its MIDI connections. My friend also sang the praises of the PX-330's keyboard mechanics, acoustic piano sound and EP sounds.

I just went to Youtube and saw the "Sound on Sound" spot that features the Casio PX-350.

Mike Martin speaks about the new pianos for a couple minutes and then there is a guy who plays for about 40 seconds.

The thing I noticed from this video was.... the "plunkiness" seems to be gone in the range of an octave above middle C.

Mike describes that the piano is using increased memory so this might have something to do with it, but whatever it is this brief example of the PX-350 sounds quite promising .

I would love to hear some electric piano clips...but the good news is that Casio may very possibly be giving Yamaha some serious competition with a very nice weight range and price.

• 2 years later...

I also saw one comment about possible 'MIDI latency issues' -- presumably when connected to a laptop. Not sure if that was an isolated unit/problem nor of its implications.

Can anyone speak to these concerns?

This is an old thread I looked up but everyone said (or as much as I could patiently read) there is NO USB latency issues on the Privia 330. Recently I ordered a Kawai VPC1 controller that will be here in a week or so. Meanwhile I had a Roland backup after selling my digital I was using that had a PCB board failure after one day of use. So no piano. :( I can't go a week without practicing so I bought a Privia 330 to use for a week or so.

In most normal playing using Pianoteq 5 and Ivory II it works fine with USB but if you play classical piano too (like myself and others here) it has MAJOR latency on technical parts contrary to what I read here and I agree with the reports that were cited about his having USB latency using a laptop. (Macbook Pro here)

One example is a Liszt part that is fast moving cadenza = latency every time (major) and also Chopin Impromptu 66 has latency as a couple of examples. So apparently this is not good for those who play classical too but considering the price I don't expect a fine controller obviously. Though I suppose one could just go nuts with a lot of any-keys pressed and pull up the latency.

I would think newer models do not have this problem ? Other than that, it is an amazing value used and sounds decent with onboard sounds. I bought this one used with a wood stand and seat for 250 in great condition and you can add 3 pedals for like 40 bucks or so.

I should add that I carefully checked to make sure this is not computer related unless it is sourced at the Privia USB board to MAC issue since Windows has specific drivers if I remember. The source of the latency was definitely the Privia.

WH

No drivers on a Windows or Mac, all Casio products are class compliant. I'm traveling this week so it will be difficult for me to investigate this with any detail but I'll check into it asap. I honestly don't believe there is an issue with Privia itself although I don't expect that ye newer generation is the same - I'll see what I can find out.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Just to chime in:

I have a PX-5S with the latest firmware.. I hook it to a 2014 MacBook Pro 13" via USB.

Running Mainstage. Sometimes I will run a VST/AU as stand alone.

When I play Mainstage's built in Steinway, I can't detect any latency. I usually give a VST/AU piano the Billy Joel "Prelude/Angry Young Man" test, and so far I have had no issues PX-5S>MacBook>Mainstage piano with regards to latency.

I've never had a Casio model older than the PX350 so I can't comment on the 330 latency you're having.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I should add that I carefully checked to make sure this is not computer related unless it is sourced at the Privia USB board to MAC issue since Windows has specific drivers if I remember. The source of the latency was definitely the Privia.

Could you elaborate on how exactly you checked to make sure the latency was not computer related?

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Could you elaborate on how exactly you checked to make sure the latency was not computer related?

- Guru

I believe I fixed it. One computer check I did not do= interference from previous USB drivers. **No latency right now.*** It was not coming from the piano as I discovered tweaking the USB adapter. I deleted, using Appzapper, getting all the parts of all of the previous drivers for other USB adapters that were previously used in the Mac. Recently using a Focusrite previously used a Babyface. I added the Scarlett Plug In Suite but I do not think that made any difference as the USB sound device is class compliant. So right now it is working fine. No noticeable latency using USB to soft-piano YES!!!

Update after playing for a while: YEAP!! working fine older other-USB-drivers were effecting the sound device performance that makes sense because there is not a lot of bandwidth coming from piano USB port

WH

Glad you got it sorted out! I sat down this evening and plugged my PX350 in to see if behaved differently than my PX-5S and it, too worked fine with Mainstage in regards to latency.

Then I read your latest post above, and see you got it fixed for now.

Cool

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived