Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia

Dana.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Casio PX-3s is listed on Casio Privia website. I sent a note to Mike Martin asking what the diff was between the PX-3 and the PX-3s and his response was:

"The PX-3 was intended to be a limited edition. We built 3,000 units which were numbered and included a sign letter from Mr. Kashio himself commemorating Casio's 30th anniversary in the music business.

The PX-3 sold through much faster than we expected so they ramped up production again. Since these will not say "limited edition" on the front panel they had to make other changes which include officially includes the SKU number, so they added an S for stage. They did change the color of the LEDs to red and it no longer includes the letter from Mr. Kashio."

Just played a corporate cocktail party, 'background piano' gig with the PX-3 this past Thursday. It handled the job well, and sounded solid through my K10. Can't beat the light load in/load out.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

How does Piano 1 (4 layer) on the new Casio compare with the Nord Piano in terms of dynamic touch response and tone.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I just realized it does not have built in speakers. That disqualifies it for my numerous solo piano gigs

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Just played a corporate cocktail party, 'background piano' gig with the PX-3 this past Thursday. It handled the job well, and sounded solid through my K10. Can't beat the light load in/load out.

As I was walking to the exit, I noticed the large Casio area and a keyboard on a stand sitting just outside of the perimeter of their booth or area.

I went up to check it out and it was the PX-3. It was plugged into a pair (as in running stereo ;) ) of the QSC10s (coulda been the 8s but I thought it was the 10s) laying on the floor in wedge position. Aside from the Yamaha keyboards it was the best representation I heard of a DP at NAMM. I thought it sounded full and warm-actually better/less harsh then how the Nord Stage/NP2/E3HP sounded through the Beyer phones. I think Nord was using the 880 phones.

I just realized it does not have built in speakers. That disqualifies it for my numerous solo piano gigs

The same piano sound that's in the PX3 is also in the PX330, and that model has speakers.

I don't happen to like the piano sound very much... I think sustained notes fall off too quickly, and high velocity sounds exaggerated, I much prefer Nord. But a lot of people like the PX330/PX3 sound. We all have different things that we hone in on, I think. Even with Nord, I have to say, I didn't like any of their grand pianos samples until they came out with the Grand Imperial (Bosendorder) sample.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think sustained notes fall off too quickly,

yea thats my gripe with all digital pianos

to me its so bad [on all dp's] i feel I am just leaving my foot on the sustain constantly

is there any dp that truley handles this well [i havent found one]

[admitedly i am heavy footed on sustain on any piano including my yammy baby grand so maybe I am biased,]

Unfortunately, the CDP-120 only has USB MIDI, which is a downside for me.
I believe I have fixed it for you. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

especially since I plan on holding onto the thing for many years. I've been using my Kurzweil K250 for 25 years, so when I commit, I commit. ;)

although I agree with you...committing to a casio is not like committing to a K250...is it.

didnt you have to sell a house to own such an instrument...well you had to buy a house to leave it permanantly set up..hee hee

At the time, I was just starting to make some decent extra-spending money, and after listening to the demo record of the K250, instantly fell in love. It was either a car or the K250, and since I live in a big city, the car was the luxury I could do without. Yep, I scored an amazing deal on that famous K250...paid $14K for $18K worth of keyboard and options, tax included. If it wasn't so damned big, I'd still keep the thing, but in my smaller place, it looks huge. Needs a little work on the keys, but that's about it. Just itching for something new.

marvin

put the privia on top of the kurz

seriously the privia is good...but dont sell the kurzzy

keep the kurz in the house and the casio in a privia gig bag...ready to go it is so light you can simply sling it around your house at any time...you dont even have to think about it.

[the gig bag means one hell of a light gigging board and the genuine bag is strong]

damn you'll be lucky to get $1000 for the kurz [last time i saw one for sale]

thats if anyone is after one. shame...I still have my K1000 from new as they are worth didly shite to sell and that was only a $4000 purchase [with the extra sound block] here in Aussie and mine is in excellent cond and although not a K250 it is portable.

I even considered grabbing that K250 [i saw] a while ago but I still had a couple of other monsters. a Korg T1 and a Roland A80 and a large DP so I was swamped in monster keyboards.

imagine the midiing of both boards you could do....keep it marvin

ps you are not Marvin of "hitchikers guide to the Galaxy" fame are you?

I have been gigging a PX3 for more than a year now playing over 100 shows, all one-nighters, primarily country clubs and private parties. No problems at all with the PX3. Excellent piano "tones" as Casio calls them and several solid B3 tones too. And it is lightweight and priced right. What's not to like with a PX3? Best keyboard for the money I have ever owned and I've had a bunch over the past 40 years.

Aussiekeys,

Nope, not that Marvin. :D

As for the K250, I would indeed keep and refurbish it if I had the space, but I don't. I'm in a one bedroom condominium, and with only 800sq ft., it is just too imposing. Sure is one helluva lot of fun to play with, though...except for those keys that need adjusting. As for what it's worth now, if somebody offered me $500 cash, I'd probably let it go as is, which is a shame because it has no scratches on it and has all the ram and sound block upgrades. :(

man so sorry to hear that

I feel you will be losing an old friend...

lean it up against a wall and run it from the privia via midi

ya' gotta stick the privia somewhere...on its lid...

I understand...I'm glad you're not in aussie as i'd be too tempted by that Kurz...even though its now out dated its a shame how the mighty fall in the keyboard world..but i guess I'd buy it only cause i couldnt afford one back then.

I have a PX330 and before that a PX300 love them both you'll love which ever current privia you get

cheers mate

tell us how you go.

"I feel you will be losing an old friend"

Dude, you came up with exactly the right words...really. It'll be very emotionally tough to let go of. In all the years that I owned it, I only took it out of the house once to gig with a very amateurish band. That's why it's in such clean shape. If you saw how big it looks in my living room, you'd laugh though. :D What's funny is that Paul Schaffer (Letterman's band leader) must have the same emotional attachment as I do since he STILL uses his K250 on The Letterman Show. Bizarre, eh? Perhaps it's that famous grand piano sound....

Mate...talking yourself into keeping it now....hee hee

I understand its size...can you put casio above...any other gear like speakers, modules, etc underneath and use it as your music console area...or is it just too super big in a very small room even if the casio is placed on top and not taking up extra space.

mate hoping you stay with it...but which ever you decide..it will be hard..

Hey we get Letterman here in aussie..gotta check that out..[but man I cant really cope with Letterman as much nowadays...why do audiences have to go crazy everytime he opens his mouth, i could handle it better if they were less "enthusiastic", I've watched a fair bit of him years ago, but never recognised the kurz...will do now.

As I was walking to the exit, I noticed the large Casio area and a keyboard on a stand sitting just outside of the perimeter of their booth or area.

I went up to check it out and it was the PX-3. It was plugged into a pair (as in running stereo ;) ) of the QSC10s (coulda been the 8s but I thought it was the 10s) laying on the floor in wedge position. Aside from the Yamaha keyboards it was the best representation I heard of a DP at NAMM. I thought it sounded full and warm-actually better/less harsh then how the Nord Stage/NP2/E3HP sounded through the Beyer phones. I think Nord was using the 880 phones.

Dave, I think we had a pair of K8's on each PX-3 at the booth. We had K10's on the XW syhths. As I mentioned in the QSC thread, I'm now in love with their speakers.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The new Casio PX-3s is listed on Casio Privia website. I sent a note to Mike Martin asking what the diff was between the PX-3 and the PX-3s and his response was:

"The PX-3 was intended to be a limited edition. We built 3,000 units which were numbered and included a sign letter from Mr. Kashio himself commemorating Casio's 30th anniversary in the music business.

The PX-3 sold through much faster than we expected so they ramped up production again. Since these will not say "limited edition" on the front panel they had to make other changes which include officially includes the SKU number, so they added an S for stage. They did change the color of the LEDs to red and it no longer includes the letter from Mr. Kashio."

So I am wondering where my PX3-BK figures in this generation. It was advertised as a limited edition , also...

no signed letter with mine, maybe the black was the limited edition?

yes you can search px3 and px3-bk and most times will bring you to the same product on a retailers sight

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

PX-3 is a PX-3BK. One is the product name, one is the SKU number.

Thank you mike,so my bk is the second run of the px3s? From what I think I decipher from the quote in my previous post ?

The original px3 were silver, then the second run were the black bk without the signed letter?

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

AFAIK, there have been only two models of the PX-3. The original with the blue LEDs, aka PX-3BK, and the newer one with the red LEDs known as the PX-3s.

The PX-3 was intended to be a limited edition. We built 3,000 units which were numbered and included a sign letter from Mr. Kashio himself commemorating Casio's 30th anniversary in the music business.

The PX-3 sold through much faster than we expected so they ramped up production again. Since these will not say "limited edition" on the front panel they had to make other changes which include officially includes the SKU number, so they added an S for stage. They did change the color of the LEDs to red and it no longer includes the letter from Mr. Kashio.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Joe, for the clarification.

AFAIK, there have been only two models of the PX-3. The original with the blue LEDs, aka PX-3BK, and the newer one with the red LEDs known as the PX-3s.

The PX-3 was intended to be a limited edition. We built 3,000 units which were numbered and included a sign letter from Mr. Kashio himself commemorating Casio's 30th anniversary in the music business.

The PX-3 sold through much faster than we expected so they ramped up production again. Since these will not say "limited edition" on the front panel they had to make other changes which include officially includes the SKU number, so they added an S for stage. They did change the color of the LEDs to red and it no longer includes the letter from Mr. Kashio.

SpaceStation V3,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived