Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia

Dana.

Look! It's Mike's birthday! Happy birthday Mike!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they'd put a few more buttons to make it work as a simple master controller, I'd have bought one by now.

For example, patch buttons, each to select a MIDI transmit channel, with local echo off.

Of course, the next guy would ask for splits, and then something else, and pretty soon you'd have a full blown controller with a usable piano sound inside.

But, that's what's kept me from picking one up already. Just wouldn't work for me live.

I'll be following this with great interest. I got my Privia under duress, when I needed something inexpensive and immediately. I was then quite surprised to discover how much I really liked it. That was the original series, so if the new one is significantly better, an upgrade may be in order.

Props to the Privia team! I'm still happy with my 320. The included sheet music book is pretty good - if anything for the next iteration, I'd suggest more Bach and Claire De Lune - if you're gonna include Debussy pieces, why leave out one of his most famous? :)

Most descriptions aren't far from the 120, with midi i/o. Just played a few notes and the limited time seemed to show decent speakers, limited output, and couldn't find the system to allowing more instruments. I can live with the feel of keys with some resistance, with GM there's at least some compatibility. No surprises, I guess. A simple version of keyboards offering what expensive boards should dispense with, in favor of cool windows with shelving frequencies, and staying set up. that three or four people might use, rather then, otherwise a useful setup justifying the trade up for thousands more at the cost of overdone uses finding a way to the grandeur of marketing. or something.

Nathan.

Does anyone know if they have changed the action since the PX-310 and siblings? I like mine but find the key return sluggish and repetitive strikes is a no go.

Ah ok, went to Page 1, repetitive striking looks to be doable now. In that case looks like I'll upgrade!

Hi, guys.

@Marino, as I said, it will become a studio instrument -- it sounds too good to give up on completely! I agree that a good tech would have no problems replacing the connectors. I've done it on other keyboards -- including Casios -- before. And, it's not the power supply that's at issue, it's the coaxial connector on the keyboard itself that has the problem.

@bhodaway10, I know someone else who gigs with the same model, and she has the same problems. Her tech has permanently soldered cables into the keyboard to deal with the problem. He's also done a couple of other pretty heavy mods, including repackaging the three-pedal unit into something portable. I haven't gone that far with mine.

Anyway, it's going into the studio, and is slated to be used on a few recording projects in the next few months.

Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Columbia, Maryland, USA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Alesis QS 6.1

Casio Privia 310

As far as tha PX330 is concerned, it sounds like Mike Martin is giving his old employer (Yamaha) a good run for their money. I'm excited by the announcement and can't wait to play one.

Hi, guys.

@bhodaway10, I know someone else who gigs with the same model, and she has the same problems. Her tech has permanently soldered cables into the keyboard to deal with the problem.

Have you guys contacted Casio about this problem?

I played a PX120 today. I did find that it had a very deep travel. Comparatively, the CP33 was more like the pianos I'm used to playing.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

OK, so now the new Privias have been officially announced (8/1). I am curious as to how the PX-330 might function as a controller. Splits and layers can be saved as registrations, as I understand it. Do splits transmit on different MIDI channels? Can MIDI program changes be sent when a registration is recalled? Is the manual available online? Availability?

Really like the new display on the PX-330. Unheard of in this price range.

These are Mike Martin questions I assume.

Busch.

Maybe it's just me, but to me most digital pianos sound like pianos with slow dampers.

Try it. Put your digital piano close to a well regulated grand and play staccato.

The previous Privias definitely suffer from this, so I always hope that the new model will include adjustable ADSR or something like that.

Maybe it's just me, but to me most digital pianos sound like pianos with slow dampers.

Try it. Put your digital piano close to a well regulated grand and play staccato.

The previous Privias definitely suffer from this, so I always hope that the new model will include adjustable ADSR or something like that.

Even when it is programmable I have found it is a compromise to set the release time so that things sound natural. Trying to set it shorter, even a little can make it sound unnaturally chopped off unlike the crispness of a well dampered piano.

Personally I think there should be more release parameters than just time, maybe a another entire envelope minus attack time, dedicated to just the release.

This is part of the subtle yet important final frontier that has yet to be tackled by synth engineers.

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Hi, Mike Martin. That PX-330 is sounding pretty good in that demo, congrats. I would like to try one out, but they are pretty hard to find here in Toronto (if any other Toronto guys know of somewhere to find Privias, let me know!). Long & McQuade, one of the main music store chains in Canada, and my personal favourite store, had a couple of them for a while, but not any more. I emailed Casio Canada to ask who is retailing them, and they put me in touch with someone in marketing, and his response was that L&M refuses to carry the entire Casio line, therefore, Casio stopped doing business with them. That is not smart, in my opinion. It's "cutting off your nose to spite your face" as my mother used to say.

The marketing guy told me Remenyi music has them, I might follow up on that, I don't know. I'm a L&M guy. Remeny doesn't seem like the right spot to sell Privias, if you ask me. It's a grand piano store. People go there looking for real pianos. L&M seems like an ideal place.

On the Privia website, http://www.priviapiano.com/products/, the PX-320 is listed as "Stage & Studio", whereas the PX-330 is listed as "Standard". Why? Is that a temporary thing until all the PX-320's are cleared out, and then the PX-330 becomes the "Stage & Studio" model, or is there some other reason?

That will be fixed, the PX-330 is the replacement for the PX-320. The web guys just put it in the wrong place.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hi, Mike Martin. That PX-330 is sounding pretty good in that demo, congrats. I would like to try one out, but they are pretty hard to find here in Toronto (

The PX-130 and PX-330 will be shipping in August. The PX-130 starts shipping in a couple weeks, the 330 at the very end of the month.

In regards to distribution in Canada, I'm aware of the issues and it will be an area of focus for me that I hope to improve.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Demos are now up. I hear a noticeable improvement in the piano sound.

PX-330 demos

Yeah, me too. Not on par with the very best yet, but quite warmer and deeper then the predecessor.

I agree - I've been very excited about these instrument since I played a prototype in Japan back in May. The piano sounds are much more dynamic as well. I'm told its about 3 times the ROM used for the piano sound in the new models compared to the previous generation.

I literally just received the PX-330 in my office this week and I've been traveling so I'm unable to address all the questions at this time. I'll have my hands on it all week though.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I find it refreshing that someone from the actual company takes the time to answer questions about a product.

My only experience with Casio is I do a jazz/gospel quartet for a church service once a month, they have a Casio there, so I use it..

the more I use it the more I like it actually...no offense Mike, but I never thought I would like a Casio..I will check this new box out, thanks for your input.

A.

Hi Mike,

Could you clear up a question--is there a mono sample AP and perhaps a mono EP on the Privia? It would be nice to be able to get a decent AP sound at least with just one amp instead of two.

Hi Mike,

Could you clear up a question--is there a mono sample AP and perhaps a mono EP on the Privia? It would be nice to be able to get a decent AP sound at least with just one amp instead of two.

Yes, there is still a mono piano sample in the PX-330. The EP's by their nature are mono before the effects.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Hi Mike, Do you know if any of the 128 GM sounds have been updated since the PX300?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

Archived