Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In Need Of A Backup 5-String

davio

Or did you mean he brought a backup keyboard and let you use that?

He had three keyboards. That was in the pre-digital days, so to get three different keyboard sounds, you needed three keyboards.

Yowch. Yeah, again doesn't really apply to my situation.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davio if a second bass/backup bass/de-tuned bass is needed, check out Rondo Music, I am impressed everytime I pick up mine.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html

I just took a look. That might not be a bad idea if the ESP doesn't work out. They're probably right up there with most Squires. Maybe I can get the blue one, sand off the logo and have Jeremy sign the headstock with a Sharpie! It'll be the first Cohen Signature model.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/CohenSigmodel.jpg

Painfully silly and tempting at the same time. Would be a good project bass to hotrod down the line too. New pups and bridge...maybe new tuners. I'd probably at least redo the wiring right off the bat. Sexysexy.

didnt we just have a discussion on SX basses here not too far back? I'd do a search but its a pain on my phone... Seems to me the general consensus was pretty favorable.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I like the Cohen Signature Model. Now we're cooking with hydrogen gas.

Regarding backup in general: I like to bring a whole other bass when it is convenient. However most of the time it is just one bass and extra strings. One of the silent advantages of playing a 5 string is that it is much easier to fake your way through the rest of a set without a string. My most recent fun time with this is a thread buried somewhere in the archives. My A string broke in the second (third?) song and I finished the set minus that string. Kind of interesting always thinking at least one part (if not whole song) ahead to figure out how youre going to play whats coming up while youre in the middle of playing something else completely differently than normal. Try it sometime during rehearsal or personal practice. Good times.

didnt we just have a discussion on SX basses here not too far back? I'd do a search but its a pain on my phone... Seems to me the general consensus was pretty favorable.

DX

BAM!!!

The more I think about it, the more I don't think going with the ESP wouldn't be the responsible thing to do right now. As awesome as I'm sure it would be (a pretty rare find from all of my searching), I can't justify the expense for a bass that I won't play much...and I don't need a new main axe.

I think I'll order the Cohen-to-be when my most recent gig check shows up (probably Monday or Tuesday). Maybe I can find a blue pearloid pickguard too! :D

OOOOOOH now that's purdy!

You'll have to have the components drop-shipped to Berkeley to have them Mojo'd up by JC before final assembly. A nice Sharpie logo on the headstock and sig on the guard, perhaps?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I think just a sig on the headstock before refinishing it would be enough (ala Dingwall). No need for additional shipping...he gets out here usually once a year anyway. Guess this will be my chanse to try out the DR Extra Life Peacock Blue set, huh?

Blue strings, too... now that's just cool.

Too bad Spertzel doesn't make bass tuners. But they do custom orders...

http://www.sperzel.com/Prod_images/3x3-tl-blue-ana.jpg

[EDIT] they DO make bass tuners... there ya go... they just don't show them on their website in custom colors.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...I told the ESP guy my thoughts about not spending much cash right now. I had mentioned to him earlier that I had thought about selling one of my other basses to fund a new one and he asked what kind of bass I'd be putting on the block. I just sent him info and I think there might be some possibility of a straight trade. If that happens I think I might still go through with the SX/Cohen Sig but get the blue 4 banger (which would save me a little bit of money and be more Cohizzle-esque, anyway) because I don't know if I could live without a fretted 4.

I kind of hope he'll go for it. I think the ESP would be a great bass (plus it looks pretty slick with the trans green finish) and I think I'd end up with two new basses that I'd play rather than having one that I don't (the Ibanez).

Vee shall see!

I'm back to looking at an LTD D-5 as a 2nd/backup bass. It sounds really nice, plays well, and looks good, too. Neck-thru, string-thru which is different for me, as are the soap bar pups. Still has active 3-band EQ, and feels similar to my Yamaha.

The tone is different from my Yamaha which is good, but not too different. Still not sure if it's necessary, but I can get it for very little cash out on my end, but probably more practical than a wireless or bigger amp.

I think I may give the ESP/LTD D-5 a try. It sounds really nice - different than my Yamaha but still in the same neighborhood which is good. It's a neck-thru and strung-thru which is different than my Yamaha as well. The neck is nice - a little fatter than the Yamaha but still very playable. 5 band active which I seem to like as well. A very nice bass - especially for $450. I have had very good luck with my $350 Yamaha - well $600 with the Bartolini upgrades - so maybe my luck will continue with a $450 bass.

do you really need a backup 5 string?

What are the odds of breaking a B string?

I had an occasion where I actually had the machine head for my B string disintegrate before my eyes. One of those hipshot flip lever D-tuners. It came standard on the bass, I never use it. Not only did it make it more difficult playing because I had to rethink the bass lines on the fly but my bass went horribly out of tune. Although most cases you don't really need a backup, stuff does happen and it's good to have one especially if you are some distance away from home.

That ESP bass looks like a honey. I have tried some ESP basses and they are pretty nice.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Maybe I can get the blue one, sand off the logo and have Jeremy sign the headstock with a Sharpie! It'll be the first Cohen Signature model.

Oooh, I want one although I don't think I would be worthy of such an instrument.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Maybe I can get the blue one, sand off the logo and have Jeremy sign the headstock with a Sharpie! It'll be the first Cohen Signature model.

Oooh, I want one although I don't think I would be worthy of such an instrument.

I just reread that and realized I hadn't had coffee when I replied to it. The "We're Not Worthy Factor" will be strong in that one. I'll have to wear sunglasses and gloves just to pick it up.

I also saw a very favorable review for this bad boy on the Dingwall forum and I'm considering it for a mod on the Cohizzle Signizzle Modizzle. I think I'd like to keep it passive but I might spring for something with an active/passive switch down the line.

Well I haven't heard from Mr. ESP since Saturday and I'm trying to get things sorted so I'll *hopefully* have a backup by my gig on the 8th. I found THIS beasty today and I'm going to go check it out tomorrow or Friday. I'd say out of the OLPs I've played in music stores I've liked 3 or 4 out of 5 on average (as opposed to about 2 out of 5 with MIM Fenders) and it might be nice to buy my first maple 'boarded bass since my first bass that was...I'll say "not the most playable bass ever."

*crosses fingers*

I would have to say that a good backup bass is always a good idea. I have had to have my pickups rewired before and I had to use my backup bass for two weeks. I know that is a long time to wait but I got a great price that made it worth the wait. I would say that if you don't like the four string bass anymore, then sell them and use the money to get a good five string bass. The only four stringer I have is my upright bass, and I am saving to get a five string upright to replace it as well. But why have a substandard Bass, get one that would make you consider making it your main bass.

I don't need each of my basses to be my main bass. I have a decent work horse and for the moment my only need is for something to be there just in case. Somewhere down the road I'll replace them all with Dingwalls but until then a budget bass will do the trick.

Archived