Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Spotting - Rush in Rio

midinut

A friend of mine let me borrow his copy of Rush in Rio. I let him borrow Toto's 25th Anniversary in Amsterdam and Steely Dan Aja (Classic Albums Series). We swapped back yesterday.

Can someone who has this tell me what Geddy was playing (aside from the bass pedals). He's got 2 boards set up. I paused it trying to catch a better glimpse and think the lower board may be a DX7 but not sure. The back plates of both boards are kinda covered up. I did the google search already and couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. I feel sure that they had some backing tracks going on (or Neil was triggering things with his MIDI Marimba thing). I really have a newfound respect for Alex Lifeson's guitar work after watching that show. Very tasteful!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If memory serves, it's a Roland D-50 on top, and either a DX-7 or a KX-76 controller on the bottom, and Roland PK-5 pedals; he also had a Roland XV-5080 rack that generated most of the sounds you heard, including samples.

His more recent rig was a Fantom X6 and Moog Little Phatty.

kx-76 on bottom

Love to see any video with the new gear tho... or was it live you saw the little Phatty?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

WOW ..... i found this pic

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2435380201_75e1926c7f_o.jpg

-Greg

I always wondered why he never used a moog on stage in the past. Ive seen them in concert 3 times now, and watched closely when he went to his keyboards or pedals... its only a handfull of times during the show

-Greg

Rush is my favorite Rock band. Geddy makes me sick because he can sing, play bass, keys and pedals effortlessly. Bad mofo. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I always wondered why he never used a moog on stage in the past. Ive seen them in concert 3 times now, and watched closely when he went to his keyboards or pedals... its only a handfull of times during the show

Because when he goes to the keyboards, he needs the sound to be ready THEN. He doesn't have time to program it in. Plus, touring as much as they do, he needs something reliable that won't need to be tuned repeatedly. That wasn't a Moog (until the Voyager and L'il Phatty).

If he was a dedicated keyboard player, he might pick different gear, but keys are a secondary part of his role, and I'm sure he doesn't want to be futzing with gear on stage.

Keep in mind this is his rig du jour; back in the day (Ive seen them literally over 30x), his first keyboard rig live was the Minimoog and Taurus pedals (Farewell to Kings tour); on the next tour for Hemispheres, his rig was an Oberheim 8voice (with the white SEM modules) and an OB1 plus the Minimoog, a Roland Space Echo, a Korg echo unit, and 2 sets of Taurus pedals; for Permanent Waves tour, I cant remember if his rig changed. But it changed a lot for Moving Pictures (he graduated to OB8s (the gray ones) plus Minimoog and Taurus pedals, and even more so for Grace Under Pressure, where he moved to PPG2.2 and still had the Minimoog! After that, he went midi with everyone else, mostly using samplers until the XV5080s. So unlike many keyboard guys, he hung on to the Minimoog live a lot longer than everyone else. (Rick Wakeman had already switched to D50s and D70s and JD800s to replace his Moogs during the same time period as Grace Under Pressure.)
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

And write. :thu:

I think peart writes all the lyrics

He does, but Lee and Lifeson write some AWESOME music to go with them.

I've seen them on every tour since Signals (sometimes more than once per tour) and I've always felt I got my money's worth. They are terrific performers, and don't take themselves too seriously.

Rush is my favorite Rock band. Geddy makes me sick because he can sing, play bass, keys and pedals effortlessly. Bad mofo. :thu::cool:
Yeah, but they suck at Rock band. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And write. :thu:

I think peart writes all the lyrics

Everything I've seen credits Peart with lyrics, Lee & Lifeson with the Music.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Peart has a great book out he wrote while riding across north america... if your peart fan, you'll dig it

-Greg

His book about car songs is pretty excellent too.

Ghost Rider is his book about finding himself via his motorcycle after the death of his only child (his college-bound daughter en route to school in a single-car accident), and the subsequent death of his wife from heart cancer (she never recovered from the loss of their daughter, and died about a year later). He sold the house, quit the band, and basically drove from Canada to as far south as he could (almost to Central America) and then back north. Its really a moving autobiography, and his best writing to that point.

The Soundtrack to My Life & Times is excellent as well, relating the music he hears in his car to life as a child, his pre-Rush musical endeavorsbasically an autobiography triggered by music old and new (he likes Linkin Park!). Both are great reads, for Peart fanboys as well as readers who enjoy good writing.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I don't have the rush in rio dvd, but I have r30, which is probably the same setup (D50 over KX76). I found some rush gear lists, and the keyboards, and all of neil's pads and malletkat (Midi marimba), and pedals are midied to Roland 5080s, which have all the samples. They didn't want to use "Tracks", or get another guy, so they got this whole method using bass pedals as controllers for various samples/sounds. Hope that answers the question.

I think I got not just an answer to my question but also found out that this forum has a lot of Rush fans as well. Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived