Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberg Releases The Grand 3

davinwv

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually use the Grand 2 quite a bit and I'm anxious to try this new one. The Grand 2 did have sustain samples along with some other nuances which I liked such as damper noise (you could hear the dampers lift of the strings when you use the pedal).

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

How strange; I thought Steinberg had gotten out of the VI and Sampler business entirely!

I remember reading of cancellation of HALion, The Grand, and their virtual guitar plugs. Maybe that was just prep for new versions?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Grand originally presented itself as modeled when it first came out, and was unique in that category for a long time.

It is rarely discussed these days as a modeled piano, as most people do not accept their terminology as valid. My recollection is that it used modeling for sympathetic resonance, like GEM, but was essentially a sampled piano.

I'm not judging sampled vs. modeled; just curious about the truth and also whether The Grand V3 is a radical departure from previous versions.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

They're still related, but I'm not entirely clear on whether they are 100% owned by Yamaha, a controlling interest like Roland's relationship with Cakewalk/SONAR, a division of Yamaha, or merely exclusive distribution rights.

How strange; I thought Steinberg had gotten out of the VI and Sampler business entirely!

I remember reading of cancellation of HALion, The Grand, and their virtual guitar plugs. Maybe that was just prep for new versions?

No. Some of Steinberg's instruments were developed in cooperation with other companies such as Wizoo. This includes Hypersonic, Virtual Guitarist, Vitual Bassist and actually The Grand 2.

See this link here - http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/steinberg_news/detailansicht/article/steinbergwizoo-vstis-discontinued-295.html

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Well, that explains it, but probably also means The Grand 3 is entirely new and has little in relation to The Grand 2?

Wizoo got bought up by DigiDesign. I know they did Hypersonic 1 & 2, XPhrase and maybe a couple others. Once Wizoo fell out with Steinberg, Steinberg stopped carrying and supporting the Wizoo products. Shame because I thought some of them were great!

Speaking of modeled versus samples ... anybody check this out?

It gave me a perspective on modeling and sampling that I had not thought of before.

Maybe hybrids (a mixture of samples and models) is the answer?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived