Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibanez Promethean

davio

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... it's named after a guy who stole fire from the gods and then spent eternity chained to a rock with a vulture eating his guts every day as a punishment...

I'm not sure if this name should inspire me to think of the product as one providing endless reliability or endless agony?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I am, as some might know, not an Ibanez fan in any way. Have admired their looks, but even despite some people's positive reviews, I have yet to feel comfy with most of their products yet (exactly the same happens to me with Nokia's cell phones, but that's another story altogether). The looks, however (as it happens to me with some of their guitar series) seem pretty nice. I have still to find a decent/reliable guitar/bass amp bearing the Ibanez brand built within the last 30 years that I could really say satisfies me.

The "Vibe" controls seems to me more like a "Presence" control.. somehow an incremental version of the "Classic/Modern" of recent Peavey bass combos.

I don't understand why in HERE they say "THE ENTIRE PROMETHEAN LINEUP IS NOT AVAILABLE". Is it entirely not available? Or not the entire lineup is available or what? :P

What... No neo speakers? :(

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Hmmm... it's named after a guy who stole fire from the gods and then spent eternity chained to a rock with a vulture eating his guts every day as a punishment...

I'm not sure if this name should inspire me to think of the product as one providing endless reliability or endless agony?

But take heart...he hasn't spent eternity having his guts eaten by vultures because there's still plenty of time in the future. Those vultures must be pretty fat and tired of eating the same guts all day every day. Maybe they'll want to take a break and go out for Chinese. You gotta look for the silver lining.

And, after I looked into it a little more, apparently Prometheus was rescued from his punishment by Hercules after a few years.

So, I'm guessing this means the amp will make you suffer for a while until an Ampeg comes along and saves you?

Robb, I am choosing to ignore dictionary.com's definition in favor of my own, snarky, mythology-based comparison because the idea of a vulture eating an amp's guts every day makes me snicker.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

But take heart...he hasn't spent eternity having his guts eaten by vultures because there's still plenty of time in the future. Those vultures must be pretty fat and tired of eating the same guts all day every day. Maybe they'll want to take a break and go out for Chinese. You gotta look for the silver lining.

Sympathy for the vultures.

Probably the first time since Zeus pronounced judgment that someone came out for the underdog. And naturally it was a bass player.

Just be glad they didn't name it Sisyphus.

BACK TO TOPIC

It puts out 500 watts, presumably at 4 ohms, which is right on par with the Little Mark II. It's $100 cheaper, though, and it isn't missing much, feature-wise.

I guess the real test is waiting to see its reliability record-- I've read more than a few complaints about the durability of Ibanez electronics...

That and there's no way to know what the tone is like or how responsive the controls are until you try it. Just because it has a comparable power section doesn't make it a comparable head.

Hi Davio,

Yeah, believe me, I know as much. As mentioned above, I'm currently playing through a Crate BFX-100, an amp no longer in production. 100 watts, 15" speaker. It has a gain control hooked-up to a tube emulation circuit nearly as good as anything Line6 has cooked-up in their Bass POD's.

I've thought several times about "upgrading" to a GK "Backline" series or SWR "Working Pro" series (200W, 2x10 setups, mostly). I've found both to be more difficult in getting the sound I want, and they weren't all that much louder, clearer, or more toneful.

I don't know if I got really lucky (like, the "opposite of buying a lemon" lucky), but my little 100w, $450 amp (in 2000) has suited my needs better than most other offerings for a couple hundred more.

What I DON'T like about it is that it was not designed with mobility in mind-- it is a 1x15 combo weighing nearly 70 lbs, with only a single handle ON THE TOP. No side handles, or casters, or anything that would help in the task of lugging the thing around. I have already had to carry it through a convention center the length of several city blocks to play at a Fundraiser Gala. Not the most pleasant experience, though, luckily, a member of the staff let me borrow a dolly to wheel it back out to my car after the gig.

But I digress-- the point of this post was to illustrate the point that I know all too well that specs alone do not make a good amp-- just like specs alone do not make a fast, responsive sports car.

Still, if Guitar Center decides to keep one in stock, I'd be very tempted to try it out.

Archived