Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zep�s Good Times Bad Times

Tonysounds

Since I noticed you guys talking about the squeaky kick pedal in Since Ive Been Lovin You and the bass bleed in War Pigs, thought Id take this opportunity to ruin another track for ya! :thu:

Check out Good Times Bad Times by Zeppelin: At the end of the guitar solo, they go back to the chorus. they being everyone except Jones, who misses it and plays half the chorus with the same bass line he uses underneath the solo. Of course, its John Paul Jones, so it sounds great. I discovered that one 20 years ago, and in homage, whenever I end up playing that one, I make the same mistake.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most celebrated 'mistakes' of all time is on Miles Davis' Jack Johnson when they open with a shuffle in E. When Davis enters the band hears him play in Bb and modulates to Bb but the young Michael Henderson bangs away for a while in E for a while until someone seems to give him the nod.

To me though the glorious tension of that Bb7/E resolving eventually to Bb7 is such a gloriously exciting sound that I can't help but think that Michael did it on purpose.

Check out Good Times Bad Times by Zeppelin: At the end of the guitar solo, they go back to the chorus. they being everyone except Jones, who misses it and plays half the chorus with the same bass line he uses underneath the solo. Of course, its John Paul Jones, so it sounds great. I discovered that one 20 years ago, and in homage, whenever I end up playing that one, I make the same mistake.

Yep.

And the phone ringing in "The Ocean". The first ring is at roughly 1:41 into it. It rings at least twice that I can hear.

And, in "Out on the Tiles," after the first phrase of the second verse ("I'm so glad I'm living"), you can very clearly hear someone say, "STOP!" during the little rest in the riff.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

It's true... those recordings are full of glitches and messy background noise.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

And, in "Out on the Tiles," after the first phrase of the second verse ("I'm so glad I'm living"), you can very clearly hear someone say, "STOP!" during the little rest in the riff.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Yeah. I like that one. And somewhere near the end of "Achilles Last Stand" JPJ misses the switch into the 5 section.

There is also the wonderful "ssss.. so now you better stop..." in "Immigrant Song" that Bob Plant does.

I love this stuff.

What blows my mind is that JPJ's flub in "GTBT" is the only real noticable mistake on an album that was recorded and mixed in 36 hours on analog gear where editing options were limited to punch-ins and cutting/splicing 24-track tape.

Most rock bands these days couldn't pull off recording a forgettable album in 36 days even with help from quantizing, sample-replacing and editing the drum tracks, auto-tune on the vocals, and chopping up the instrumental tracks in ProTools.

Archived