Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best portable guitar stand?

groove machine

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dig the Hercules stuff but my guess is they won't fit in a gig bag so, not exactly portable IMO.

I bought a bunch of these and they are very portable.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I had one of those Hercules stands; sold it. It was totally great in a set-it-up and leave it place in the house, but too big/long to easily bring it to gigs. And it took up a lot of floor space.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I can't recommend any particular make. I do however suggest one that does not have the detachable bottom. They always seem to break on me and it is one more piece that can get lost. I have a nice collapsing one that is a single piece and can fit in the big pocket of my gig bag.

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

A Jazz bass is not flat across the bottom like a P bass. It's less symmetrical and doesn't work so well on a stand which has the typical U-shaped place for the bass to sit.

The best stand to use for a Jazz is one that hangs the bass by the headstock. The Hercules and Ultimate stands both do that.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/9/8/9/260989.jpg

I dig the Hercules stuff but my guess is they won't fit in a gig bag so, not exactly portable IMO.

I bought a bunch of these and they are very portable.

I use stands very similar to this one moot linked when I gig. They work very well. At home they all hang on wall hangers.

A Jazz bass is not flat across the bottom like a P bass. It's less symmetrical and doesn't work so well on a stand which has the typical U-shaped place for the bass to sit.

The best stand to use for a Jazz is one that hangs the bass by the headstock. The Hercules and Ultimate stands both do that.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/9/8/9/260989.jpg

That's the dilemma I have with my Guild pilot which is shaped like a jazz bass. I just buy those el-cheapo stands with the fork shaped tilt base and the upper fork shape that cradles the neck from GC. Not super portable but they do the job.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

The Herc. Straight up.

1) - They don't fall down

2) - The bass doesn't move

3) - They don't have the craptastic QC that one experiences with On-Stage and Rockstar stands.

4) - They make the perfect Father's Day gift.

5) - Ok, they don't fold up into a little tiny package that fits in a gig bag. Or my pocket. Or my cell phone case. So what? I'd rather lug the Herc than see my '51 reissue skittering across the floor or having my Ibanez AEB10 fall forward and push the "E" tuner right out the back of the headstock.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

We use Ultimates... they are great. And they are made right up the road in Loveland. In fact, I think one of our sub keyboard players is a vendor for them or something...

or having my Ibanez AEB10 fall forward and push the "E" tuner right out the back of the headstock.

you too, huh?

Sucks, don't it?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

or having my Ibanez AEB10 fall forward and push the "E" tuner right out the back of the headstock.

you too, huh?

Sucks, don't it?

DX

... and split the head stock from the hole to about three inches down the neck.

Like a black hole through a cocktail stirrer.

You're a

Black Hole

Head Stock

Head Hole

About 3 Inches

"E" Tuner

Cocktail Stirrer

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

WE have the Hercules mic stands at church and they have not been good at all.

I have a pair of these:

Ultimate

And they work for a Jazz as they have three support points. Some of the others don't look like they'll take much of a knock.

Cheers

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

We have one like that, with the extra bottom supports, but I don't care for it too much... I prefer the standard style that just hangs the bass from the headstock. They work great for my Fender, but my 5 string had an offset headstock which made it hang at an angle and it was kind of tipsy.

We found that with the one with the extra supports on the legs we tended to forget they were there and would put the guitar on and not get it seated properly, and it would want to fall off.

They fold up though, so it's not a real big issue.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I picked up one of these at Costco about a month or two ago for about $22 (as opposed to the cheaply made $50 ones on musiciansfriend) for carrying my gear around the city and I was thinking about getting one of these or even just a piece of velcro to wrap around the handle and bass neck to work as a bass stand. Just fold up my gig bag or something for a bit of padding on the bottom. Viola...I have a very sturdy bass stand without bringing any extra gear.

Thats actually not a bad idea.. I have one of those dollies as well... I'll have to look into that idea a lttle more.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

So I guess there is no portable stand yet that'll secure my Jazz? I've been using the Hercules which hangs my bass at the headstock. Anyone try out the iStand?

This is the one I use.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear-Tubular-Guitar-Stand-451058-i1322954.gc

At $8 it's cheap, it holds a jazz bass. It works ok for me.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

You're a

Black Hole

Head Stock

Head Hole

About 3 Inches

"E" Tuner

Cocktail Stirrer

A new world's record for the most "You're a ..." in one post!

Everyone gots to have a special purpose, right?

Archived