Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

REEVES GABRELS' TOUR BLOG, DAY 5, JULY 19

Editor Boy

DISPATCHES FROM THE ROAD

The New Reality of Touring

By Reeves Gabrels

19 July 2009 -- An uneventful four-hour drive to Philadelphia. Some traffic slowdowns but plenty of time to listen to music: Be Bop Deluxe, the Clash, Joe Strummer's Streetcore, Automatic Man, and Lou Reed. We got to soundcheck at Johnny Brenda's in the fishtown section of Philadelphia 15 minutes early, only to discover that the gig was on the second floor. Two flights of stairs with no elevator. There went our 15-minute advantage. Once inside the venue, the soundcheck was smooth. The two openers were open to using Jeff's drum kit and Kevin's bass rig, so that minimized the fuss of changing over gear after each set.

After soundcheck, I went to the hotel, slept for an hour, and then headed back to the gig -- just in time to play. Great sound system, great-sounding stage, and their soundman (Dave) is a very interactive soundman. With a little encouragement, he was totally into playing with the mix -- vocal delay spins and some flanger-type effects. It would be great if more front-of-house guys were that musically active when it came to mixing.

The crowd was receptive -- not a bad turnout for an 11 pm gig on a Sunday night. But that's the thing about touring -- you have to play somewhere every night. They can't all be Fridays and Saturdays.

We did very well with CD sales tonight, and if this keeps up, I may actually be able to cover all my expenses (which would be nice).

Well, that's it for tonight. Next stop is Herkimer, New York. We'll be playing at a club called Rides on Monday, 7/20 with my friend Jason Davis' band.

Good Night!

RG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cool:

The two openers were open to using Jeff's drum kit and Kevin's bass rig, so that minimized the fuss of changing over gear after each set.

Ya see more and more of that these days...

Great sound system, great-sounding stage, and their soundman (Dave) is a very interactive soundman.

With a little encouragement, he was totally into playing with the mix -- vocal delay spins and some flanger-type effects. It would be great if more front-of-house guys were that musically active when it came to mixing.

Cool. :cool: More of that from sound peoples would definitely be good.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've played this room with this soundman... Reeves speaketh the truth. Dave rocks.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've played this room with this soundman... Reeves speaketh the truth. Dave rocks.

Hey! Erik! I was just recommending to Mr. Molenda- on another of these Reeves Tour Blog threads- that he seek and scope your old "Road Report" threads; I loved reading those!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It would be great if more front-of-house guys were that musically active when it came to mixing.

Most places I played that had their own soundman, we were glad if they guy actually knew what he was doing...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived