Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Cry Baby Wahs a good pedal

PRS MAN

i am loking at a cry baby wah, and if you have ever looked at them you can spend forever looking at them and finding the best one, does any one have any advice and or are they a good quality pedal,

_____DISCIPLE_ROCKS_____

PAUL REED SMITH GUITARS 4 EVER

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call on the 535Q, very versatile and tweakable to your liking with its extra controls; although I have to say, even the basic modern no-frills Dunlop Crybaby is pretty nice- very agreeable and just plain "right" sounding, a great all-around wah. You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent wah. Even a used one, in good shape and with a little care as needed, can be an excellent wah and a great deal.

The "Fasel inductor" models might best please a vintage wah lover's ear, but I bet that a lot of people wouldn't immediately notice much difference between them and the basic Crybaby models- especially anyone who hasn't spent much time playing a wah.

With the Crybaby- and, as far as I know, most or all of the various versions of it that Dunlop makes- the full range of the control-pot is wider than that of the pedal's range of travel.

If you want a little more treble-range in the pedal's travel, and a little less dark bass-range- or vice-verse, a little less treble-range, and a little more bass-range- you can adjust this somewhat.

Take off the bottom plate, find a white plastic "loop" that presses the "rack-and-pinion" of the pedal and pot mechanism together, loosen its single screw, pull back the toothed "rack" and rotate the geared shaft of the pot forward or back as you please, and then press the rack back into place and tighten its tensioner's screw.

By trial and error, you can dial-in the range that you prefer.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The biggest drawback to the average wah pedals is the way they suck tone when they're off. In order to get past this, you either have to buy a more expensive pedal or have a standard one modded to be true-bypass.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I was gonna say they aren't as good as they used to be, like everything else. The 535Q is a good unit, but I prefer the tone of the Vox 847. No adjustments, but it doesn't need any.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

i have a dunlop cry baby that i love to death. My band mate play a vox and hates my cry baby. i guess it is just prefrence cause i don't like his vox that much. it feels like it pierces my ear drums. so i would just play as many as you can before buying one.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Yup, the Vox and Dunlop are two different sounds. Neither is better then the other IMO. It's just a matter of what sound you are after.

+1

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I have a Crybaby. Works nice for me. Mine is old and very broken in. Extremely lose feeling with kind of a focused sweep. But I love it. Wah's are kind of like Whammy bars. They are really an art in and of themselves. To use them subtley and effectively may take you some time.

There are plenty of guys who can just go crazy with the Wah and make it almost annoying. But then there are guys who can really use it for alot of things.

Like one way, you can just set it in the middle for a weird nasally mid boost. Maybe you will slowly change frequency as the solo gains momentum.

Or you can use it like a phase shifter, kind of slow sweeping almost automatically back and forth, not really considering what note or beat you are on.

Or you can use it like the traditional players do. Like a wah. You know more like a voice wah wahing.

i have a dunlop cry baby that i love to death. My band mate play a vox and hates my cry baby. i guess it is just prefrence cause i don't like his vox that much. it feels like it pierces my ear drums. so i would just play as many as you can before buying one.

Yup, the Vox and Dunlop are two different sounds. Neither is better then the other IMO. It's just a matter of what sound you are after.

+1

I also kinda like both; I like the clearer, brighter, more transparent yet growly Vox sound for cleaner and clean-ish low-gain overdrive tones, and the thicker, fatter, more vocally & vowely Crybaby sound for more heavily overdriven and distorted tones.

And a friend of mine has the exact opposite preferences! He has two wahs that he switches between for cleaner and dirtier tones.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived