Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GigSpam - Big Ben and the Royal Family - Lowell, MA 7/24!

BenLoy

Hey LowDowners,

Long time no see/speak. Sorry I've been incommunicado lately.

So if any of you live near or happen to be near Lowell, MA on Friday 7/24, you should come hear me play some seriously SLAMMIN' funk with Big Ben Hillman and the Royal Family. It's seriously on, y'all. It's gonna be ILL!

Start Time:

Friday, July 24, 2009 at 10:00pm

THE OLD COURT

31 Central St

City/Town:

Lowell, MA

Phone:

Hope to see some of you LowDowners there. Big Ben Hillman is a seriously talented keyboardist and songwriter who's got some mad skills. We're going to be bustin' out a boatload of original funk tunes along with a few tasty covers, one of which will have me in full-on Louis Johnson impersonation mode.

Later,

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Siiiiick.

I'm trying to get in touch with a couple other bass players to arrange transportation and hopefully bring a party to stare you down while you're playing.

Cost?

Davio, cost is a measly $5 bucks. The funk-to-dollar ratio is ridiculous!

The funk-to-dollar ratio is ridiculous!

This phrase pleases me very much.

The social scientist in me is drooling a bit in utter nerdiness over the challenges of combining the subjective and objective in a cost-benefit analysis of The Funk (a.k.a., Da Funk).

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Willie, this is actually a job for the Nash '60s P-Bass copy.

Most of the original tunes call for a Pino-style flatwound bump...so the P-Bass is appropriate for the lion's share of the material. But the P-Bass spanks enough that it nails the P-Bass sound Louis Johnson got early Brothers Johnson tunes like "Ain't We Funkin' Now" etc. :)

S^&$%$@#*&*^&%$@$%&^*&^%^$#@T SON OF A MOTHERLESS GOAT!!! I thought I had everything together to get to the show. The gf and another bass player were going to come with me but the other dude bailed for some reason and he was the ride. I am rideless.

Damn. Hope the show kicks as much as I'm sure it will.

Dan, it's a Nash '63 P-Bass copy with a sunburst finish. I don't have any pix I can post here unfortunately, but you can see a photo of it on Facebook sitting on the counter of Gryphon stringed instruments as I purchased it. ;)

Archived