Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CNN: Worst year EVER for the music industry

Personally, I think people are sick and tired of buying a full cd, only to find out that it's got one good song, and the rest is complete shit. I'm sick and tired of the music industry pointing fingers at everyone else except themselves. And , If I was head of a label, I wouldn't allow any of my artists to use resampled, regurgitated old songs. Why? Becasue that means I miss out on all the publishing funds. I wonder if any of those idiots at record companies thought about that one. Hmmmm, guess why you're seeing way less revenue return on Puff Dady's publishing. Because somebody else already owns it. And they didn't have to spend a dime on promotion to make money. HAhahah. Oh, and while you're at it let's give every washed up artist a 30 million dollar recording budget for their next record. Yeah, that's it. If it's broke, just throw a pile of cash at it. Oh, let's nmot forget the multi million dollar video either. Fuckin' Morons. Mark is getting VERY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the answer is simple, and it's not CD burning. The record industry now pins its hopes on "blockbuster" acts. They had a good ride with the boy bands, and N'Sync selling 46 gazillion copies in the first week. But now the people buying those acts have grown up, and 5 guys dancing the same moves that seemed cool two years just isn't cutting it. Meanwhile, the labels don't have a backup plan, so they're just tanking. It's not so much a question about the quality of music, in my opinion. There's lots of not so great music that sells. It's a question of companies being too big and slow to stay ahead of the curve. It's like if Microsoft was still trying to sell Windows 95 instead of moving ahead with projets like 2000 and XP. You have to adapt to survive. Record companies react. That worked 10 years ago, but the world moves too fast for that now.

[quote]Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly Tone: [b]With today's digital technology it has gotten to the point that the only thing musicians have control over is their live performance, and to get paid, they're going to have to go out and play![/b][/quote] Really? I thought "today's digital technology" was supposed to be [b]empowering[/b] musicians, allowing them to create and market CD's without the need for corporate sponsorship. I think the positive aspect of digital technology outweigh the negatives. [ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: dansouth@yahoo.com ]

well if it werent for my need of USB for my scanner and pen tablet, id still be using 95... much less sluggish than 98. i have NO PLANS on upgrading past 98 until absolutely needed [something wont work unless i have it] man, i got winamp running now and mp3's sound fine for casual listening... i dont think im going to buy a cd again, just DL the songs i want to get [which i cant usually find in stores anyways] im even dedicating a HD to mp3's so i can run winamp in shuffle mode for non-stop customized [no shit] radio play... dont even have some cheesy dj between songs [or ads].

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

first up, im with alpha anyway.. "What kind of garbage is CNN spewing now...What do they mean "EVER"? Since the Dark Ages? " hahahaha, we are IN the dark ages now. cant wait to see what happens to music 'around the corner' 5.1? will it be the norm? how will music be distributed? what lame attempts will the Big Boys try to make me pay full price for their music? id pay per song for sure, to the artist. anyone reckon labels might die and be replaced by Venture Capitalists of the music scene... hahaha

dansouth, You're right. Trying to be brief, I didn't elaborate. The thing you have to work against with digital tech is the fact that once your music is out in the digital domain, it can be copied (and distributed) by just about anybody. But when you play live each performance is unique. True, the technology exists to copy that too. But your potential to market, promote and sell all of your merchandise, is much greater, and you have much more control, when you're looking your fans in the face. We've been playing live as the Groovepushers for ten years, and I was shocked when a guy who comes to see us all the time, pulled out a copy of our CD that his buddy had bunrt for him. He thought it was cool that it was possible. I thought to myself, "Damn!", but then I relaxed and thought, "Well he does pay to come to the shows". It's a trade off we have to live with. So yeah the techmology empowers us but, like Barry White told one of my band mates talking about succes in the music business, "You have to play as much as you can, in as many places as you can, and don't stop doing it". And now we can make our own CD's (records) and sell them at the shows. Without any BIG BROTHER SPONSORSHIP. Now if we could only straighten out them damn club owners!!! Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

So let the major labels fall?!;and then watch the biggest chain reaction/ domino theory begin. Be awed and truly frightened at the same time. Most people have no idea what could really happen.
Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b] No they won't get a great return on her new albums...the money they gave her was [b]Really[/b] to make up for all the profit they made off her first albums. It's pretty commonplace to resign big money makers like Mariah for loads of money...not because it's a good investment but because they 'ripped her off' for so much in the beginning. It's a payback...happens all the time.[/b][/quote] Never heard of that in my life nor can I believe it. Paying her only because they made money on her. I don't think so. Sure they rip her off when she was unknowen, but after her first album scored big they hve to spend on her in the small chance that the next CD will make it big again. The wort thing for any major is to let an artist go and then see him rise with someone else. They prefer to spend some money and keep the artist with them.

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Its the labels own fault for being behind the times. They could have jumped in on the whole Internet revolution, XM radio and all of that. I dont think CNN has any wway to make reports on how bad our industry is. Im just sick of hearing how its "The Worst......" fill in blank with something that will make people keep watching. Television over dramatizes things. They got into a rut of makeing stories bigger than they were then the events of the 11th came along and they kept doing that when they needed to return to the old ways, of telling the story. They had peoples attention there was no question about that, but that lost it because of all the CRAP they kept pumping on about. So maybe it is a bad year in music, the worst, no. But hey if it is, then you can only go up from here. **Faust65**
**Faust65**

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anderton: [QB]I think the answer is simple, and it's not CD burning. Maybe Trevor, Hans and the boys had it right.... "Video Killed The Radio Star" Ten years ago when a guitar player walked into a store and started playing Hendrix, Clapton or Texas blues licks - folks'd gather 'round to see the fretwork - and maybe pick up a few chops. Today the reaction is "Man, you sure play "technical". Meaning what you are playing isn't real music - "real music needs only three chords and none of those, what'd you call those.... solo notes? Man, technical is so OUT!!" Clubs can hire non-technical bands for a lot less than they would pay for properly trained, serious and creative (not clone) musical acts. These clubs make moolah (stay in business) by perpetuating the "cellarful of noise" syndrome - only these days it ain't the Beatles making the noise. This "non-technical" syndrome may mean more than "I don't wanna know a major seventh chord" - it doesn't seem to extend to vid games yet, but it does seem to help whole throngs of young people escape from having to "work" at anything for the reward. "I can play 500 songs with three chords and I'm an artist! See "technical" stuff doesn't work - "technical" military and cops and government didn't protect those people who died in NY!! Tech don't work. Too complicated! We need to simplify!!! Life should be easy." Meanwhile... So you've spent money, energy and, more importantly, your precious life moments getting good at whatever aspect of music you love and now you want your reward and the "music business is having it's worst year ever,"? Who was it who said "The destination is not the reward - it's the journey that matters"? Have a good trip. Maybe if Techno was called something less "formidable" maybe it would be as big in the US as it is in Europe and Asia. You name a horse Satan and nobody's gonna wanna ride it. [ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: radlane ]

Archived