Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Berlin - Bass Logic from The Players School of Music

RalphM

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really liked Jeff Berlin. True the man has chops, lots of them to be honest. But I can only remember him by being a mouth full. I watch his debate with Steve Bailey on Bass Player TV, and he doesn't care less about what everyone else has to say.

Don't know maybe its just me.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I've never met him or had any dealings with him - just want to know if his instructional DVD is any good.

He seems to be aware of his own reputation - there's a quote on his website that says "Im not an Egotist! Im a Confidant!".

That's an interesting quote.

"I'm not [one with an exaggerated sense of self-importance]! I'm [one to whom secrets are entrusted]!"

Wrong word, Jeff. I think he meant "I'm not an (e)gotist! I'm ©onfidEnt!"

I hope he's more accurate with his instruction than with his choice of words.

BP had an article on B3; Jeff Berlin, Billy Sheehan, and Stu Hamm. It was written by the guitarist who backed all 3 in the shows, and he said that Jeff is much nicer than his reputation.

The DVD looks like something worthwhile, give us a review if you do buy it. I suggest seeing if you local library has a copy before you buy it.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I saw him play with B3 a couple years ago - with Billy Sheehan and Stu Ham - and he had a real 'regular guy who doesn't necessarily suffer fools' kind of vibe when I talked to him.

And he absolutely killed and left me saying 'wow' when he finished his last song by tuning down on his E string a half step for just the very, very last note when it sounded like it wasn't going to work.

He good.

Mr. Berlin has his "in print" persona and his in person persona and they are quite different. The debate he had with Steve Bailey played on his in print persona and I hear that afterward he and Steve were joking around.

I disagree with a few things he's said in print, but in person I thought he great. He is a phenomenal player and should be as familiar a name to bassists and as any of the other "chops monsters", but he doesn't seem to be. Not only does Jeff have chops to spare. but he uses them in such a musical fashion that it is breathtaking to watch and listen to.

So true, way more interesting to listen to than the 'chops monsters' that get more press. He musical.

Someone once said that you shouldn't expect your favorite artists to be great artists AND great people - love 'em for their work and it's just a nice bonus of they are great people too. I thought there was a lot of truth in that. We can all rub people the wrong way sometimes, especially if you a passionate opinion about something.

Archived