Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Gretsch Parts

You guys know that I picked up a '67 Tennessean.

Parts that are missing:

Jack plate

Switch cap.

Parts I'd like to replace:

2 pickup rings

2 plastic pickup tops with "G" logo. (the G is almost worn off of the ones that I have.

Parts I question the vintage authenticity:

the pickgard. There are new screwholes in the guitar, close to the old ones, and the holes in the pickgard do not line up with the old holes.

I was trying to get to Duke Kramer, but I found out that he has passed away, which is very sad. Any other sources of original Gretsch parts, either used or NOS?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about a good source for original vintage parts. The ones I have seen on EBay have been extremely pricey.

darrenriley.com has new Gretsch switch knobs and pick-up rings (and they're very reasonably priced). I think I posted a link to the Vox Showroom before that also carried new replacement parts for Gretsch.

If you want to replace the pickguard and plastic pick-up covers I think you will have a hard time tracking them down. I don't think the covers are available separately and the the currently available replacement pickguard is for the "Tennessee Rose," not the "Tennessean."

When you say you need to replace the jackplate, I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. The jack on my Tennessean is attached directly to the guitar. There is just a hole in the body and the jack is mounted directly to it. Are you saying there is a plate on the side of the guitar that the jack is atttached to? I don't think this is stock. I've never encountered a Tennessean with this configuration.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

....new Gretsch ...

....pickguard and plastic pick-up covers "

...jackplate, ....

The new Gretsch stuff, from what I ave been able to find out so far, is not direct replacement for the old Gretsch stuff.

The pickgard and pickup rings, and pickup covers are not essential, I just thought that it might look nicer if the rings and pickup tops were neater, and I just wanted to see if anyone knew if there could be a discrepancy among Tennessean pickgards. My whole reason for thinking that such things might be available is because of Duke, who bought up all of the Gretsch pieces/parts when it closed, and has been selling the stuff ever since. He had EVERYTHING.

In terms of the jack, yeah, it has a Les Paul-looking jackplate, and the one that is on it is smaller, doesn't fit right, and only has a couple of screws attached. It works, but if nothing else, I'll make something to fit the screwholes. As my luthier buddy says about vintage Gretsch, "...they're ALL prototypes..."

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The new Gretsch stuff, from what I ave been able to find out so far, is not direct replacement for the old Gretsch stuff....

I'm pretty certain the new switch knobs (if you pick the "old" version) and pick-up rings retrofit to vintage Gretsch though.

....As my luthier buddy says about vintage Gretsch, "...they're ALL prototypes..."

What a great line, and so true!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

How about Vintage Gretsch Guitars dot-com, perhaps? (They're 'site is apparently under reconstruction at the momnent, sorry!)

Or, Blackrider Vintage Guitar?

Gretsch® Parts

Original, New Old Stock

Original, Used

Reproduction, New

Pickguards

Bridges

Tailpieces

Pickups

Bestaluck!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived