Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rubber piece for guitar stand needed

Uncle Moe

I have been searching for those little rubber pieces that you stretch across the "fork" part of a guitar stand/guitar hanger so the neck can't fall out... I am having no luck at all.

I need 6 of them and hate to start buying $8 stands for this one little part!!

I bought 6 "String Swings" but the little "donuts" on the fork make me a little nervous with my 6 year old, so I am trying to locate the little things I described above.

Does anyone have any ideas or any of these little things extra?

Thanks alot!

John

Schecter C-1 Classic & Hellraiser C-1 FR / Hagstrom Viking Deluxe / Epi. PR5-E (Acoustic/Elec) / Les Paul Ultra II / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 / Kramer Striker

Amps:eVh 5150 III

Effects:Boss Gt-10

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try using a good quality hair tie, one of the "no slip" ones with the rubber wrapped around them. They grip really well and hold the instrument in place.

Yeah! Been 'ere, done 'at! :thu:

Take one end and loop it through itself around one "tine" of the "fork" so that it forms a girth-hitch (<- how-to vid link) knot on it, and cinch 'er up. That way it'll stay put similar to the way the original rubber piece did. Works with fat rubber bands, too.

You might try to contact some of the makers of various guitar-stands like Ultimate Support, Whirlwind, Hosa, etc. that use these elastic safety-straps, to inquire about purchasing a box of them; they must have 'em in bulk...

...make a toll-free call to Sweetwater Sound, Carvin, Stewart-MacDonald, etc. and ask a real-live person if they can get 'em for you like that...

...and let us know if you find a source that way, too; keep us posted!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey guys, Thanks for the tips! I did email Proline stands, so I will see if anything pans out there and might call or send a few more emails. If not I will entertain the hairbands (hehehe no pun intended):)

Found them on On-Stage-Stands website.. $2 each but then they want $9.67 shipping for the 6 for a grand total of $21.67 eeek!

John

Schecter C-1 Classic & Hellraiser C-1 FR / Hagstrom Viking Deluxe / Epi. PR5-E (Acoustic/Elec) / Les Paul Ultra II / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 / Kramer Striker

I've got a roll of the velcro-type cable ties. Those aught to work. Another thought...if you are handy with a drill, drill a small hole in each side of the yoke, tie a cord through one side, tie a pin to the end of the cord, and drop it into the hole on the other side. Another thought would be a big old spring-clip. I don't know what they cost, (I got mine for a dollar each after a movie shoot...) but you put the guitar in the stand and clip the spring clip to one side of the yoke. Or tie a string to the spring clip and the yoke, and clip it to the other side of the yoke. Keep thinking, there has to be a practical inexpensive answer.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Or make a small bar of wood with felt padding on the back and underside, that has recesses in either end that slip down over the ends of the fork, with small, smooth "finishing"/"cosmetic" or "carriage" bolts and nuts fit through the fork-ends to act as "keepers" to keep the wooden gate from sliding off in front...

Or, punch holes in a beer can and jam it over it! :D

Bribe Teach your Son to be careful and respectful of your guitars, and other things like that... ;):thu:

For that matter, hang 'em high! The guitars, that is, way up outta his reach. (So long as he doesn't get up on a chair or somethin'... )

Everyone, thanks for all the ideas it's much appreciated!

I just opened one of the string swings up (the donuts were under the mounting plate, so I couldn't actually see their size until now. Anyway it might be ok with just them, but I will probably go ahead and use some of the cheap "insurance" that you all have suggested! Always better safe then sorry :thu:

For that matter, hang 'em high! The guitars, that is, way up outta his reach. (So long as he doesn't get up on a chair or somethin'... )

One problem with hanging 'em high is that it might make them visible through the windows and increase your risk of a break-in...

One problem with hanging 'em high is that it might make them visible through the windows and increase your risk of a break-in...

Guitar thieves?! Hang 'em high, too!!

Hope you don't mind a little thread steal here, but I've always been of the mind set "if it ain't being played, it's in it's case".

That's generally a really good idea; I must admit that I'm guilty of leaving whatever guitar I've been playing the most out on a stand too long, too often, and truth be told, it's probably made the problem of dust getting into the control-pots a little worse...

This my change shortly, but I've heard the rubber foot cradles on guitar stands can damage the finish of your guitar...

Comments?

That depends on the padding material, and the finish.

Old-school nitro-lacquer tends to nastily react and even melt with some of the more rubbery, plastic-y type stuff on some stands, particularly the stuff that either looks kinda like surgical-tubing, or rubber-hose.

Over the course of years and years, I've never had any trouble with my LP's lacquer reacting with the cushy, airy foam-like padding on a few different stands that I've owned.

This my change shortly, but I've heard the rubber foot cradles on guitar stands can damage the finish of your guitar...

Back in the 60's one of my band's guitarists had a big ugly discoloration stain on the back of the neck of his very expensive Rickenbacker caused by the surgical tubing on his guitar stand. All of my current stands seem to use a less porous vinyl to cushion the point of contact.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Ok this brings me to another question... I have seen different stands/swings that will state about not being safe for Nitrocellulose lacquer.

How do you know what type of clear the manufacture used? is there anyway? I would guess that most over seas models probably aren't using lacquer, but I may be wrong. :confused:

My stands so far haven't ruined any of my finishes, but not all my guitars have been set on them (current stands have that black kind of spongey type stuff... but the new swings have a tan stuff that is more rubber like than sponge) and now I am getting worried I am going to go through all the work of hanging them to have them ruine my guitars!!

The string swing package doesn't state what finishes it's safe for but I could try and email or call them just to see what they say.

I have seen in a magazine the little covers for over the forks (they look like a velvet condoms :freak:)! But before I went and spent more money I would probably sacrifice a stand or two and strip the spongey stuff off and put it on the string swings of the guitars that I knew were already safe on that material.

PS my wife did pickup some nice heavy duty hair ties that look like they will work perfectly! :thu:

I have seen different stands/swings that will state about not being safe for Nitrocellulose lacquer.

How do you know what type of clear the manufacture used? is there anyway? I would guess that most over seas models probably aren't using lacquer, but I may be wrong.

Nitrocellulose lacquer is becoming less and less common for a number of reasons, even though it really is also a splendid finish for guitars for a number of reasons. Many Gibsons still come in it, as do some or many Fenders (pricier ones, at least); I think PRS uses some kind of poly or something other than lacquer on their regular/pricier line, but I'm not sure.

So, like you already said...

try and email or call them just to see what they say.

...whether the "them" is a stand/holder maker, or a guitar maker.

PS my wife did pickup some nice heavy duty hair ties that look like they will work perfectly! :thu:

Great! Cinch 'em up in 'em dere girth-hitch knots on 'em dere String-Swings 'ere, man, ah tellya! :thu::D

Archived