Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Richard Wright

Steve LeBlanc

I don't normally start a thread like this but I just feel this great man needs one more toast. I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon right now and his playing is moving me like the first time I heard it.

I celebrated his life with a few good friends in Vienna last year, seems to me there will never be enough recognition for his contribution to keyboard recording.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't fully address the issue of lack of recognition but from what I've heard RW was, like many other neglected musos, a very reticent person...something that didn't serve him well in the sometimes --uh, is arrogant too strong a word?-- company of some with whom he worked.

I understand he even had to take legal action to get credit within PFloyd for his contributions.

d=halfnote

Richard Wright was one of those cats who had the amazing gig(s) of which most musos dream. His KB parts will influence musos indefinitely.

Despite the ups and downs and relative anonymity in terms of recognition, I hope Wright enjoyed his time here as a muso. His work certainly shines like a diamond. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I agree with McGoo; Keyboard totally overlooked Wright. It's all good, but the playing on Meddle through Animals is just incredible.

+1

Just think of the innovations he contributed:

Leslie'd piano on Echoes and One of These Days

Wah Wurly on Money

The huge layered pad on Shine On of Solina String Machine, B3, Taurus Pedal.

The EMS VCS3 machine sounds on Welcome To The Machine

And his understated playing was a huge component of the Pink Floyd sound.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I find it incredible that Keyboard never interviewed him. They really need to get some of the more underrated prog guys in their pages. Did they ever interview Peter Bardens? Tony Kaye? Thijs Van Leer? Hugh Banton?

Wright was, IMHO, a criminally-underrated player...I learned loads about using the Hammond texturally from his playing.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Rick Wright was a huge influence on me (Along with Hugh Banton, Peter Robinson, and other prog Hammond players). His Hammond playing (restrained as it was) fit perfectly within Floyd's music. It is a shame that Roger Waters did not appreciate him more.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I dont think it was that Waters didnt appreciate Wright: during the Wall, Wright had become incapacitated and unfocused (on music) and was more interested in indulging on his boat, and thats what incensed Waters: that all those important textures and chord voicings and arrangements Wright was responsible for were no longer being contributed (to Waters songs of course). So in fact, I think its exactly the opposite: Rick was appreciated and when he stopped delivering, it was a huge disappointment and a bone of contention.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

As my avatar might suggest, I'm a huge Floyd fan, and Rick Wright is truly one of only a few real "keyboard heroes" that I have. I always identified with his playing because it never seemed to be about "chops." Rather, it seemed to be about contributing to the overall vibe/feel/sonic palette of the songs. As a guy who was never going to be able to rip off crazy runs and leads like, say, a Keith Emerson, I found Rick Wright's playing both accessible and inspiring.

The treatment given to him by Keyboard Magazine is shameful. To devote only one-third of a page in the mag to him after his death (for a ridiculously brief mention of his passing) seemed almost insulting.

Noah

The treatment given to him by Keyboard Magazine is shameful. To devote only one-third of a page in the mag to him after his death (for a ridiculously brief mention of his passing) seemed almost insulting.

Agreed. I was expecting a cover story, with some lessons,an interview. I'm shocked to find out he was never interviewed by them, but then again, Wright was a very shy and reserved individual. Maybe he turned down interview requests.

Either way, that short blurb was an insult to his legacy. It didn't sound like it was written with any passion or deep understanding of what Wright and Floyd were about. I think this thread alone is proof that he deserved more respect.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Archived