Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential Pedals / effects

SE

Hey all, I realize this thread could get huge. I also realize there is no correct answer, as this is a 100% opinion question. However, I hope the discussion helps me and others! Also, if this discussion already exists on this, or another board, please at least post the link.

Ive been playing for a number of years and I have a multi-effects unit as well as a few individual pedals. But, in general, what would be the minimal signal chain that you could / would play with?

It could be simple, such as "Volume pedal to Tuner to Compressor to Amp." Or, it could be extremely intricate.

I think its important to list the general style of music you have in mind when answering so that we dont direct someone looking to play jazz to a death metal pedal board!

Looking forward to your insights!

SE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SE, and welcome.

I predict this won't get huge. Most of the guys here don't use any effects, iirc.

I have a rackmount multi-effect unit from the 80's (woo!), and I use just a touch of reverb and a touch of compression. Since I'm wearing in-ear monitors, I'm told I'm the only one that can hear it.

Occasionally, I'll use the octaver, but very sparingly (like once in the last 4 months).

[Edit: I missed the signal chain bit. bass => effects unit => DI and amp using two different Outputs on the unit.]

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I know so little about effects it makes me feel wholly inadequate to say ANYTHING about them. I just have four or five and I didn't choose them for any particular reason other than feigning interest. Yeah, I put them to use, but do I do it well?

I would love to know what some consider "essential" effects. I think distortion is probably a common one.

So here's my live signal chain, almost always:

Bass-->Amp

The end. And I get a lot of "Wow you're a great bassist!" comments, at least some of the time, so apparently it's not wrong to do that... but I'm a bit ashamed.

I wouldn't call it an "essential", but the Sansamp Bass DI is a tool that finds itself into many bass player's tool box regardless of genre. Whether its used as a DI, preamp, or effect pedal, it does a fine job.

I also use a chorus pedal in secrecy; would never dare to bring it to a gig ;)

bass -> amp

or

bass -> DI -> amp

That's all I've ever used. Once tuned a decent bass very very rarely goes out of tune in a couple of hours unless you're going mental.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

well as for me, I play dizzy mizz lizzy, sandmen, 3 doors down, D:A:D covers meaning kinda hard rock.

I use a huge distortion - mainly because of the number called "reconstrucdead" with d:a:d - we only have one guitar player in the band and I'm filling in on the bass as the other one ^^ ( put in other words if you find the track on youtube you can hear some distorted harmonics in the verse and intro - that's the guitarplayer - rest is mine :P )

other tracks that I feel requires distortion I go for a more subtle one - just to crank up the highs a tad. of course compression is used too there :D

in one other track I use 4 effects chorus, reverb, octaver, compressor. - all comming from a multieffect pedal called me20b from boss. would love to have it upgraded to a gt10B though.

so my signal looks like this

bass -> me20b -> amp

As hard as I try, I just don't use/like effects. I think they are very effective when other members of the band use them - guitar and keys - but it seems the best thing for me in the groups I play with, is to have a solid, clean and clear tone. I have even taken the tuner out of my chain and use the tuner out. Bass --> Amp for me. If/when I need a DI, I use the one in my head.

Do I need effects? No. Do I like effects? Yes.

I play pop/rock/church/progressive/etc music; and my pedal board looks like this:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/Awestruckdan/2008_1028Image0054.jpg

Except that I recently tidied it up with a Planet Waves pedal board cable kit, and replaced the Carvin Super Delay with a BYOC Ping Pong/Echo.

Signal chain is: Bass-> Tuner (Planet Waves) -> Compressor (Electro Harmonix Black Finger) -> Overdrive (Home Brew Electronics Hematoma) -> Wah (Dunlop 105Q) -> Delay (Carvin Super Delay or BYOC Ping Pong Echo) -> Chorus (Boss Bass Chorus) -> amp (although I do have a Whirlwind DI if I need it; usually it's used for my acoustic guitar)

Chorus is used most often (yeah, I said it!); followed by the compressor and the wah.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

My pedal board consists of a tuner (Boss TU-2), drive (Fulltone Bass-Drive) and chorus (Boss CEB-3). I've played around with a number of others but those are the only ones that have stayed for any length of time. There's also a Samson wireless (receiver is in pedal form) on there but it never gets used and might be sold soon.

That said, it's extremely rare that I bring my pedal board. Usually I just use the tuner in my cable bag before I plug in and that's it.

I have very poor dynamic control, hence the need for the compressor/limiter.

I used to think that I needed something for my dynamic control, but it's better than I thought. I can do a tune like Peg where there's finger and slap and I can keep a pretty even dynamic. Maybe I'm finally getting better after all these years .

An Ernie Ball volume pedal, that's all - although i use a tiny bit of the "Maximizer" effect on my BBE Max preamp.

Oh, I need distorsion for a few songs we play, but I get away with controlled overdrive. However I really hate to mess with knobs between songs.

I do have a Gibson Maestro Fuzz pedal (yes, the original thing with germanium transistors and ONE "AA" penlite battery - for those who are old enough to remember that screamer) but it is in a box stored too deep for me to dig for it, so...

I recently bought a Zoom b1x pedal because I thought I needed a couple effects for some songs we were going to do. That hasn't happened yet so I use it as a tuner and I use a phaser effect in it. I also still use my Boss CE-2 chorus pedal and a simple DI unit. I have other pedals that I don't use too often. Currently the string is bass, Zoom, Boss, DI, then amp.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I'll admit that I play with effects in practice sometimes, like my CE-2 and the Bass Wah I won from this magazine over a year ago... but I have yet to find a practical use for them. Maybe I should try messing with the chorus again. The EB volume pedal seems smart, and so would a SansAmp.

For most of the time I've played bass all I've used is my bass and amp. When I gig that's still all I use. A couple of years ago I bought a Sansamp Programmable BDDI and a Boss TU-2 tuner to use in church. I mainly use it as a DI box and to shape my tone a little. It does fatten up my passive PJ a bit, but I don't use much distortion.

I may buy the Boss GEB-7 Equalizer some day, and the EBS Octave Divider is interesting.

Anyone own this EBS pedal? Is it useful for blues?

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I own the EBS octave pedal. It's a great pedal and IMHO, it's better than the Boss Octave pedal which I used for many years. The pedal plays notes an octave below the one you are playing. If you play your parts up an octave, you can simulate the sound of a bass and guitar playing the same part.

I don't know why you'd want to use it for blues.

Other pedals which I own and don't use include:

original Mu-Tron III. (the best envelope filter on the planet)

Digitech Bass Driver (distortion)

Digitech Bass Squeeze (compression)

Boss Chorus CE-5

Boss Bass Synth SYB-3

Russian Electro-harmonix Bassballs (distortion/envelope)

Electro-harmonix Steel Leather (expander: opposite of a compressor) (haven't used this one yet)

Various other strange things in a closet, some home-made.

and a Countryman direct box which I use whenever I am in the studio or going direct into a PA system.

I have the EBS BassIQ, which I haven't tamed yet (steeper learning curve,I think) - but I love my MicroPog.

Came with a copy of "BassEffects for Dummies".

Oar knot.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Dig...I like me a pedal. I don't use them often when gigging. However, with Taft's Bathtub, there's one tune when I get to light them all up, and it's a great, great time.

I'm very pleased that I have a fuzz/overdrive and an envelope filter. I'm pleased that I have a compression pedal and a chorus and a SansAmp DI.

The only pedal I've been yearning for is an octave pedal -- like the EBS Octabass. Mmmhmmm. Yep.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'm very pleased that I have a fuzz/overdrive...

Indeed! It's that sexy little Z.Vex, right?

Nay, good sir. getz76 has one of those. It will peel paint from walls.

I have a delightfully snarly, Pigtronix Disnortion (which also has an "octava" feature, too -- octave up).

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Listen to "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" as played by Pino Palladino on a cd by Paul Young for a good example of an octave pedal.

Pino is playing a fretless Musicman Stingray through a Boss Octave Pedal.

You can hear it here: [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVZfJQE4Lyg

Too bad that in a 4:00 minute video they only show the bass player for a few seconds. It's worth sitting through the whole thing to hear Pino go beserk in the last 20 seconds.

Archived