Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New NE3 gig bag coming apart already

FunkKeysStuff

After barely a month of use, the new GB61 gig bag I got for my Nord Electro 3 is already falling apart. Last night on the way to a gig, I noticed a 2- to 3-inch rip along one of the seams. This would be unacceptable for any pro gig bag, but it's extra-special frustrating given that my original Electro gig bag was still in functionally perfect shape when I sold it after seven years of hard use.

When I got the new one, I immediately thought it seemed inferior to the original. The backpack straps were narrower and not as thick, which made carrying it noticeably less comfortable. And the material just felt cheaper and not as rugged. But I thought, just give it a chance and see how it does. Now I have, and it's doing crummy.

I bring this up not only to vent and to warn others, but also because I thought I had a vague memory that someone on this board worked for the company that made these bags. However, my search-fu wasn't up to the task of finding him. So if there is such a person and he could offer any advice, either in this thread or via PM, I would appreciate it greatly.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising. You know they make a hardshell case for it, right? Worth the investment if it's your major gigging keyboard.

A number of us on this forum had problems a few years back with the overpriced "official" gig bags Yamaha sold for their MOTIF line, and complained. Yamaha ultimately responded (or maybe it was Keyfax) by supplying a better selection of bags/cases.

Customer feedback would be good for Nord as well. If enough people complain, maybe they'll improve the bags.

But that doesn't help you here and now, of course, and it's drustrating to see an investment go up in smoke.

Nevertheless, you might find someone local who works with vinyl and can repair it for you. We have a number of people here who make custom vinyl bags and thus would know how to cheaply repair one that they didn't make.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I got a 73 size gigbag about two years ago that is also a piece of junk compared to the one I had for my 61. The shoulder strap broke and the hand strap is also ripping.

And it's also a really ugly red. More dark pink than red, really. I should have sent it back, but it's probably too late now.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Not surprising. You know they make a hardshell case for it, right? Worth the investment if it's your major gigging keyboard.
There is no hard case for the electro 3 series. I bought the hard case that is being advertised as nord but it has NOT revised for the electro 3 series that are larger boards. BEWARE the hard case is an extemely tight fit for the electro 3's

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I bring this up not only to vent and to warn others, but also because I thought I had a vague memory that someone on this board worked for the company that made these bags.

I would suggest contacting Clavia and complaining.

Also, you can post your "product review" on these websites:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-NOR-GB61-LIST?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nord-NORD-61-Key-Soft-Case-546841-i1425667.gc

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nord-NORD-61-Key-Soft-Case-Red?sku=546841

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NORGB61

I bring this up not only to vent and to warn others, but also because I thought I had a vague memory that someone on this board worked for the company that made these bags. However, my search-fu wasn't up to the task of finding him. So if there is such a person and he could offer any advice, either in this thread or via PM, I would appreciate it greatly.

If I recall correctly Jason Stansfield (sp.)from Armadillo Enterprizes, the former NA distributor for Nord had the 2 series cases and bags made to his specs. I also remember him saying he would be up and running with a 3 series by the end of the summer because he still owned the rights to the "NordUSA" website and had the connections to get quality cases and bags made.

Why Nord didn't continue with him is anybody's guess, but he is a stand up guy and really hit home runs for Nord while they had him. Absolutely the best Customer Service I've ever gotten from any keyboard manufacturer.

Hope this was somewhat accurate.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

This is also my gripe with the NE3 itseff. Yup, I love the sounds, action, and everything BUT the fact that they went cheap on the hardware controls, less presets, no digital delay, all to save a few bucks. That is not the way to go in a competitive market.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

I'd like a delay, too. As to the bag, I already complained about carrying the bag being very uncomfortable. I have a Jansport rucksack which has some thick rubber padding in the shoulder straps, and this would be really, really nice for the NE gigbags.
When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Thanks for the info. I've emailed Clavia and Armadillo, and will see what happens. In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good replacement to carry a 61-key NE3? I really loved the backpack straps, so another case with them would be ideal, though I'm not holding my breath. (I swear, it almost makes me want to get out the belt sander and grind away at those new squared end pieces, to get it to fit in my original Electro bag.)

Sorry; I didn't know the Electro 3 was a different size from the Electro 2. I wonder why? I thought it was mostly a board revision for sounds. Maybe components and circuit boards are smaller now to accomplish the same architecture, so the keyboard shrank?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the info. I've emailed Clavia and Armadillo, and will see what happens. In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good replacement to carry a 61-key NE3? I really loved the backpack straps, so another case with them would be ideal, though I'm not holding my breath. (I swear, it almost makes me want to get out the belt sander and grind away at those new squared end pieces, to get it to fit in my original Electro bag.)

Still got your NE2? Exchange the endcaps? I dunno...

Here for the gear.

Sorry; I didn't know the Electro 3 was a different size from the Electro 2.

It's almost the same size. In fact it is the same length, but the difference is, the new end caps are square, where the old ones were rounded. This increases the overall diameter by just enough that the new ones won't fit in the old cases. The cynic in me suspects that this was a calculated move to force people to buy a new case when upgrading.

Still got your NE2? Exchange the endcaps? I dunno...

I hadn't considered that, but now you've got me thinking. The guy I sold it to is a bass player who will be using it primarily in his house, so I might be able to talk him into it. Hmmm...

I have the NE3 73......I ordered the GB73 (Nord softcase) and it fits very tight. I don't mind the length fit, its the pressure on the upper back knobs when you zip it shut that seems a bit tight for my liking.

Anyhow, I let Nova Musik know that the GB73 was actually for the NE2 (even says so on the box). The new softcase (for the NE3)is also called GB73. Nova will exchange at no cost when they get the new GB73 in...they say mid-July.

Contact your vendor....they will fix it especially if you have a relationship.

:thu:

Archived