Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate Support Apex stand

Junkstyle

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been discussed quite recently.

I have the silver one, and I see a few sites have that one on sale for $139 right now. The industry trend in keyboards, stands, and gig bags, is unfortunately back to black these days. Makes almost a twenty degree difference outdoors at hot summer gigs.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

+100 in favor. I love mine. Sets up and tears down in all of about 30 seconds. Doesn't take up as much room as my old X-Stand and I got mine with the mic stand which is also hella-convenient.

Kronos 88 | MODX7 | Wavestate | Crave | KeyLab 61 | CPS SSv3 | MacBook Pro | MainStage | More VSTs than I'll ever figure out

www.thehenrysmusic.com

what's not to like?

Difficulty in setting up/securing pedals in a convenient location.

Other than that, I'm in complete agreement, and use a 2-tier Apex (with the Heavy Duty clamps/tribars and the mic boom attachment) on pretty much every gig.

<--- there it is in my avatar, in fact. ;)

I use the mic boom attachment. Be careful in attaching it to the stand, as it's a PITA and should only be done once. :-) From then on out, only adjust the other two connectors or you'll be sorry -- especially at a gig. In other words, always leave it attached!

What a clever invention. When I used an independent mic stand, I could never get the boom positioned well for both my bass playing and keyboard playing. With the Apex stand, I can keep a single mic position for the entire gig, whether I'm playing bass or keys.

This stand is easier to carry, easier to pack, takes up less space, and is quicker to setup/breakdown than any other.

I wish they still sold the stronger/longer tri-bars, as then it would also be good for 88-key weighted keyboards. I am no longer able to find any way to buy those on-line, and I think they dropped the mic boom as well, so I got that in the nick of time.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

Almost 23 years old and still going strong, seeing regular gig action. It's held everything from a then new ARP 4-voice piano and an old Crumar Orchestator, to an Ensoniq KS-32 and Korg DW-8000, to my current Yamaha CP33 and Korg Triton Ex.

The one constant in 22+years of bands and gigs has been my Apex. I repaint it now and then when I get bored.

Only issue I ever had was the original style floppy handle broke about 4 year ago. I called Ultimate to try and buy a replacement. They sent the new style solid handle, free. Not bad after 18 years of ownership.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/n502856688_834935_4573.jpg

In red last year.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/blust1a.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/kbd1a.jpg

Current paint job.

There are others on this site who have fancier/cooler paint jobs on theirs.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I wish they still sold the stronger/longer tri-bars, as then it would also be good for 88-key weighted keyboards. I am no longer able to find any way to buy those on-line, and I think they dropped the mic boom as well, so I got that in the nick of time.

Oh they do, but you'll have to actually talk to someone at Sweetwater or wherever. I had to get a new set a couple months ago and spent too much time tracking them down, but trust me Ultimate still makes 'em.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I've had my 18" tribars on order with Sweetwater for about two months now.... I've got the super clamp. Anyone got a spare pair of 18 inchers?

but you'll have to actually talk to someone at Sweetwater or wherever.

BTW, I use both the V Stand w/ 2nd tier and the Apex. I alternate almost every show because I can't make up my mind..... ever.... but the Apex is great.

As far as foot pedals, I use the boss FS-6 & FS-5 connected for 3 switches. They are the same height as the legs of the apex. This means you can put it behind the leg and still have perfect access to the switches. A simple velcro loop locks it. Leslie F/S/Stop & Sustain.

I've had my 18" tribars on order with Sweetwater for about two months now.... I've got the super clamp. Anyone got a spare pair of 18 inchers?
You're in the Chicago area? If you haven't gotten them by early-mid August, I'll be up at Buddy Guy's on the 13th. I may have a spare pair.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thanks for the info; I'll talk to my Sweetwater rep.

But more to the point: do the longer arms make it more stable for 88-key boards, and are they deep enough to also support a Moog Voyager?

My recollection is that the longer bars can only be used on the bottom tier, but that doesn't seem right as there's no real mechanical difference between the two tiers and their mechanisms.

But more to the point: do the longer arms make it more stable for 88-key boards, and are they deep enough to also support a Moog Voyager?

My recollection is that the longer bars can only be used on the bottom tier, but that doesn't seem right as there's no real mechanical difference between the two tiers and their mechanisms.

They do make it more stable for deeper keyboards. That said, what pushed me to the Z stand was that my Kawai MP8II bounced up and down on that thing like it was a diving board. I always had my 88 on the bottom, but I think the main thing is just to make sure the weight is distributed properly and that you take care when adding and removing keyboards from the stand.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yea, they are deep enough for a Voyager, and you can certainly use them on top too. I want them to get my Stage out further if I want to bring out my PC361 instead of my wave. The PC361 is pretty deep compared to the stage and wave. I need the extra 3-4" it would give me.

When I used the mic boom attachment I always had trouble with the mic picking up noise from my playing.

I've had that problem with every keyboard stand I've owned - Apex, "X" and "Z" stands. I went to using a "shockmount" mic clip like the one shown at the following link to avoid the problem. Link --> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT8410a/

Came up with another alternative when I went to a wireless headset mic.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

It just occurred to me that the longer arms probably won't fit inside the stand for carrying purposes?

I'll have to look inside again to see how the mechanism works. The short legs are at the top once in, but probably there's some geometry to the shape that keeps them from going in deeper, such that the longer arms do go in deeper and are still flush at the top.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it's worth my ordering the longer arms before deciding on another stand for the Kurzweil and Moog. Though I'll probably still try the WS540/550/extension combo that others here have used (cheap, sturdy, but looks to be a PITA to set up and break down). WS540 for Moog and WS550 for Kurzweil (with extra tier, possibly, for Prophet '08). Might not need the Apex after that.

The tribars have a small lip at the hook end that keeps them from falling through the stand when you store them. The aluminum is triangular, but the plastic end squares off. The stand could probably hold an even deeper tribar....

I've cut down a pair of my 13 inchers to about 10.5 inches for my wave. Simply pop off then end caps, band saw (or hack saw)to length, and pop the caps back in.

As RedKey mentions, the inside of the Apex could hold tribars much longer than 13"... the long tribars fit no problem, and look identical to the 10" ones when they're inside.

Important to note that the long tribars will NOT work with the regular clamp; you need the heavy duty clamp to use the long bars.

My guess is USS designed it that way to prevent having to pay for damages to heavy boards from collapsed stands. ;)

http://images.morris.com/images/athens/mdControlled/cms/2009/04/04/425615768.jpg

I've cut down a pair of my 13 inchers to about 10.5 inches for my wave. Simply pop off then end caps, band saw (or hack saw)to length, and pop the caps back in.

There was a story just the other day about some funeral parlor guys around Columbia, South Carolina who cut off the legs of a musician (a guitarist who stood 6'7") so they could fit him into a casket.

Yeah.

KLONK FOR THE STORY

I imagine they just cut 'em right off and popped his shoes back on. I dunno.

Ummmmm, just sayin'.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Sort of OT, but at least it's the same nomenclature... ;-)

EMPTY:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/ivorycj/IMG_0349.jpg

FULL:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/ivorycj/IMG_0348.jpg

Just had to share a 'geek-out' moment with you guys...

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

but you'll have to actually talk to someone at Sweetwater or wherever.

BTW, I use both the V Stand w/ 2nd tier and the Apex. I alternate almost every show because I can't make up my mind..... ever.... but the Apex is great.

As far as foot pedals, I use the boss FS-6 & FS-5 connected for 3 switches. They are the same height as the legs of the apex. This means you can put it behind the leg and still have perfect access to the switches. A simple velcro loop locks it. Leslie F/S/Stop & Sustain.

If memory serves actually, I ordered the tribars themselves from my local GC guy, and I ordered the clamp from Sweetwater. Don't ask me why. I thought I already had the superclamp when I ordered the arms, but it turns out it had been left in a buddy's luggage on our last tour and was nowhere to be found. The tribars did take a couple weeks, but at least I eventually got em. This was last November.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Just talked to Ultimate.

Says they are in the middle of changing manufacturers for APEX parts. Says it will be 4-8 weeks before more tribars are made. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a second hand pair long before then.

Archived